Ottawa Aces

11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

It might have made sense with the Wolfpack in Super League (though it’s colder and more of a faff to get to than Toronto) pre-Covid but it’s a good question when SLE has found there is no value in having a Canadian club. It’s got me stumped!

Also talking of value. There is no value in having another team from the M62 corridor being the 12th team in Super League. They would offer nothing

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hello said:

Ha ha, they had just months before paid a record huge amount for just one player - blows out of the water any silly notion that it was anything other than covid that caused them to withdraw.

They were bankrupt. Owed loadsamoney. I can pay for SBW tomorrow with a rubber cheque.

2 hours ago, Hello said:

Ha ha, they had just months before paid a record huge amount for just one player - blows out of the water any silly notion that it was anything other than covid that caused them to withdraw.

Without Covid Argyle's businesses would not have had the cash flow problems they did have. Of course it played a huge part.

So a thread on Ottawa has turned into another Toronto bashing exercise. You can claim they are linked to a degree, but how many threads do you need to say the same thing over and over again?

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

I said it was a serious question. I wanted a serious answer. So again, why? 

Loving the game isn't enough of an answer. 

Because they have a vision, a dream, and believe that with loads of hard work and determination they can make it a reality.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

I said it was a serious question. I wanted a serious answer. So again, why? 

Loving the game isn't enough of an answer. 

Then that is your problem as you seem to be fishing for an answer that doesn’t exist.

It was same reason Perez had a show on tv in Canada that broadcasted RL highlights, the same reason he ran Ruby League Canada, the same reason he started the Wolfpack and now the Aces. He just loves rugby league.

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It not my problem. If Ottawa hopefuls cannot explain what lies behind this, the motivation, the plan, the execution, the finances,  then how will they win sponsors, fans and above all, forum members?

It all comes across as blind faith. 

15 hours ago, JohnM said:

Serious question: why would anyone want to start a pro rugby league club in Ottawa?

Not sure your get any objective answer... that is answer based on emotion is more likely than serious thought through response...

1 hour ago, TheReaper said:

Without Covid Argyle's businesses would not have had the cash flow problems they did have. Of course it played a huge part.

Then this billionaire entrepreneur should gave delved into his supposed deep pockets.

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

They were bankrupt. Owed loadsamoney. I can pay for SBW tomorrow with a rubber cheque.

They weren't, but don't let facts confuse you.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It not my problem. If Ottawa hopefuls cannot explain what lies behind this, the motivation, the plan, the execution, the finances,  then how will they win sponsors, fans and above all, forum members?

I’ve given you the motivation, which is all you originally asked for. 

No one on the forum is going to be privy to the finances or execution so I am not sure why you have all of a sudden moved the goal post to include them. 

1 minute ago, Michael1812 said:

No one on the forum is going to be privy to the finances or execution so I am not sure why you have all of a sudden moved the goal post to include them. 

He needs something to pick holes in, like many on this forum.

Thankfully enough people had sufficient vision and determination in 1895. Lets be grateful that there weren't forums in those days or the NU would never have got off the ground.

3 minutes ago, Michael1812 said:

Don't be so defensive and precious. My post, my question  my goalposts. Nowhere have I indicated a position for or against the establishment of the club. I do know though, that just "loving the sport" will not recruit potential sponsors,  players and fans. 

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Thankfully enough people had sufficient vision and determination in 1895. Lets be grateful that there weren't forums in those days or the NU would never have got off the ground.

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀   illiteracy breeds ignorance. 

51 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Don't be so defensive and precious. My post, my question  my goalposts. Nowhere have I indicated a position for or against the establishment of the club. I do know though, that just "loving the sport" will not recruit potential sponsors,  players and fans. 

I may be wasting my time responding to you but I’ll give it one more go. 

You realise there is a difference between the motivation to own a pro rugby club in Ottawa and the business plan required to run the club?

I have you the motivation. None of us know their business plan 

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀   illiteracy breeds ignorance. 

As you say. Keep trying and you will improve.

2 hours ago, TheReaper said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/oseg-risk-default-covid-19-lansdowne-1.5789261

I wonder how much this had to do with the Aces decision. Not sure what OSEG's involvement is beyond being the landlord.

Good link.

I am sure they must be closely related.

Archived