Ottawa Aces

6 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Dont know if it is, the Redbacks though have been a big success since entering the CFL they have already won the Grey Cup hosted 1 Grey Cup and average around 23000 a game.

I thought that OSEG were reckoned to be one of the shadow backers of the Aces - smoke and mirrors I know. It also reflects the reality on the ground in Ottawa and a good reason for them to sit back and pause.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I thought that OSEG were reckoned to be one of the shadow backers of the Aces - smoke and mirrors I know. It also reflects the reality on the ground in Ottawa and a good reason for them to sit back and pause.

I really don't know BSJ I can ask a couple of my CFL mates as they might know ,I have been following the CFL for years its like a North American version of Rugby League for me better than the NFL like Rugby League is better than Rugby Union and despite every year people predicting its demise just keeps going averaging 80/100000 a week for just 4 matches (9 teams one has a bye) not to shabby that is.

4 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I really don't know BSJ I can ask a couple of my CFL mates as they might know ,I have been following the CFL for years its like a North American version of Rugby League for me better than the NFL like Rugby League is better than Rugby Union and despite every year people predicting its demise just keeps going averaging 80/100000 a week for just 4 matches (9 teams one has a bye) not to shabby that is.

Keep 'em hungry - that's the way.

Not shabby at all.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

29 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

no loop fixtures then?

Yes, but nobody calls them that because nobody cares.

Home and away against all 8 other teams = 16 games, plus two more games against in-division opponents rotating yearly, for an 18 game season. So my team Hamilton would play Toronto and Ottawa 3 times one year, the next year they'd play Ottawa and Montreal three times, and the next year they'd play Montreal and Toronto three times. 

It's generally a bonus cus Toronto is always a big rivalry game, and since in-division games effectively count for double points there's a lot on the line. The last few years they've been intentionally making the last three weeks or so all division games since they have a lot of effect on the playoffs and it increases interest. 

Man I miss the CFL. 

26 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Home and away against all 8 other teams = 16 games, plus two more games against in-division opponents rotating yearly, for an 18 game season. So my team Hamilton would play Toronto and Ottawa 3 times one year, the next year they'd play Ottawa and Montreal three times, and the next year they'd play Montreal and Toronto three times. 

It's generally a bonus cus Toronto is always a big rivalry game, and since in-division games effectively count for double points there's a lot on the line. The last few years they've been intentionally making the last three weeks or so all division games since they have a lot of effect on the playoffs and it increases interest. 

Man I miss the CFL. 

I went to the 2007 Grey Cup Final in Toronto with my wife and Jaques Jorda (Ex French national coach) and his wife cannot believe it was 13 years ago this month.

Lenny Kravitz did the half time show.

Brilliant weekend and the organisation and fan interaction was brilliant I certainly learned an awful lot.

My wife played poker v some of the poker stars which was great fun at the fan event we also had our photo taken with the grey cup the night before at the CN tower commissioners party was amazing as well met Brian Adams and Geddy Lee and the band was Loverboy:)

Paul

13 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I went to the 2007 Grey Cup Final in Toronto with my wife and Jaques Jorda (Ex French national coach) and his wife cannot believe it was 13 years ago this month.

Lenny Kravitz did the half time show.

Brilliant weekend and the organisation and fan interaction was brilliant I certainly learned an awful lot.

My wife played poker v some of the poker stars which was great fun at the fan event we also had our photo taken with the grey cup the night before at the CN tower commissioners party was amazing as well met Brian Adams and Geddy Lee and the band was Loverboy:)

Paul

We do something very similar at Dewsbury.

1 hour ago, TheReaper said:

Man I miss the CFL. 

Oskee wee wee....life without the Ticats is not worth living. 

The labour day classic was always the highlight of the year.

Eat em raw!

23 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Oskee wee wee....life without the Ticats is not worth living. 

The labour day classic was always the highlight of the year.

Eat em raw!

Like the Chris Thompson lateral pass touchdown from I think round 2009 its on you tube just google CFL lateral pass.

Hope to give you guys a good thrashing back next season at the Argos my first CFL game was around 1991/2 at the skydome v the Ti-Cats Rocket Ismail was playing:)

My old American business partner was very close to the NFL who in turn knew everyone at the CFL so he managed to get us VIP tickets in the directors area unforgettable night met John Candy (So sad he passed away at around 43) and Wayne Gretzky who at that time owed the Argos.

Good to see pinball still having the faith.

So much synergy between CFL and Rugby League:)

Paul 

Rocket Ismael....snatched by the argos millionaire owners from the NFL. think it was about 1991 when the played at Hamilton, unbeaten at that stage of the season. TiCats hammered them and Argos couldnt wait to get on the bus and out of town. The Rocket was signing autographs for a large crowd and the argos team bus got sick of waiting and took of without him!

Argo wins at Hamilton were so rare they referred to the stadium as Ivor No-win stadium.

Great times

8 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Rocket Ismael....snatched by the argos millionaire owners from the NFL. think it was about 1991 when the played at Hamilton, unbeaten at that stage of the season. TiCats hammered them and Argos couldnt wait to get on the bus and out of town. The Rocket was signing autographs for a large crowd and the argos team bus got sick of waiting and took of without him!

Argo wins at Hamilton were so rare they referred to the stadium as Ivor No-win stadium.

Great times

Love Canada and you Canadians you are to us like the Kiwis (New Zealand:)

GOOD GUYS

Canada/New Zealand 

BAD GUYS (LOL)

USA/Australia 

Serious question - why would anyone want  to start a new RL club outside the M whatever motorway corridor? Surely it's a ridiculous idea to try and get anyone new to like the sport! Let's stay stuck firmly in the past and die there together in the face of increasing popularity of certain other sports that don't have their faces  stuck up their own proverbial backsides 😆

8 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Man I miss the CFL. 

Why are there so few teams? 

53 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Why are there so few teams? 

That's roughly the amount of cities that can support a professional team. Not just in football, the NHL only has 7 Canadian teams. The new soccer and basketball leagues are also around that number.  There are maybe a couple more that could support a CFL team but it would require building stadiums and that's a big hurdle. We were getting pretty close in Halifax before covid, who knows what will happen there now.

37 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Anyone else think that they are using Covid as as an excuse after seeing the results of the Toronto decision and are getting cold feet?

I hope I'm wrong but the timing seems more than a coincidence? 

Mmn - they had announced they would play all their games in the UK in 2021, so the change in plans is interesting. 

Wonder how long a club has to be out of a league before a licence lapses. Hemel had been out for a couple of years,  but just how many clubs now out of the league still have licences?

14 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:
16 hours ago, TheReaper said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/oseg-risk-default-covid-19-lansdowne-1.5789261

I wonder how much this had to do with the Aces decision. Not sure what OSEG's involvement is beyond being the landlord.

Good link.

42 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Anyone else think that they are using Covid as as an excuse after seeing the results of the Toronto decision and are getting cold feet?

Or maybe this from up the page.

12 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Arrrrrrgo's.....Arrrrrrgo's.

What do you with a drunken sailor?

But have to hold my hand up, Argos never managed to sign a dead bloke.....After one of the CFLs US teams folded in the 1990s Ticats selected a bloke in the dispersal draft who had died. I think he came second in the Ticats MVP that season.

On 07/11/2020 at 01:57, Eddie said:

What if it was Liverpool or Manchester?

No in my opinion, but i see your point, but neither city has a club in the professional or semi professional system. I must admit that i was in favour of Manchester Rangers joining league 1when they applied to join it but were rejected

12 hours ago, Omott91 said:

No, I don't.

I think that they are making a rational decision - is that so wrong?

11 hours ago, PhilCarrington said:

Mmn - they had announced they would play all their games in the UK in 2021, so the change in plans is interesting. 

Wonder how long a club has to be out of a league before a licence lapses. Hemel had been out for a couple of years,  but just how many clubs now out of the league still have licences?

I thought Ottawa bought their license so technically ottawa are Hemel but in canada

Archived