Non-playing subs in finals

I've generally not worried too much about non-playing subs, as from a record-keeping perspective they are generally not important.  However, I've been looking at subs again recently, and have a few questions about non-playing subs when it comes to finals. 

Firstly, do we know what the rules are/were about non-playing subs getting winners medals across the various competitions?  I seem to remember that they've increased the number of medals for the Challenge Cup so the coach generally gets one and it seems also intended to get a medal to a player who would have played if not for injury (we have stories like this every year for the Challenge Cup).

Secondly, if a player doesn't get off the bench but was in the 15/17, do we just ignore them from the records from the perspective of being part of cup winning teams? The obvious answer is yes, and that would stay the case in terms of appearances etc, but do we just not recognise them at all?

Interesting questions.

Although not of vital importance for record keeping purposes, I do try to keep records of Non Playing Subs wherever possible. These are obviously not included in appearance records, but are an additional stat I keep.

I know that NP subs get match fees just like the rest of their team mates even if they didn't get on the field. I'm sure the same rationale applies to them receiving medals.

One curiosity is that at Fev for example we have at least 4 players who were NPS but never actually played for the club. Of about 500 NPS at Featherstone I've managed to name only about 150 of them.

8 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

Mark - did any of the 4 players ever play first grade for anyone else?  Would be a bit soul-destroying to get that close to a game but not getting onto the field.

I'm sure one did and one didn't. The one who didn't was a local amateur who was making up the numbers. 

The other two, I don't know. One was quite recent, Curtis Macdonald 

Archived