Referring standards

Nekker

Is it me or is the standard of reffereeing at an all time low.  Forward passes galore, Stevo used to joke about forward passes in union now the boot is on the other foot.  The original rule stated the ball must be passed backwards has it changed.  Offside at the goal line has become a joke.  It seems to me there is a lot if poor decisions being made in the game and affecting results

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Nekker said:

Is it me or is the standard of reffereeing at an all time low.  Forward passes galore, Stevo used to joke about forward passes in union now the boot is on the other foot.  The original rule stated the ball must be passed backwards has it changed.  Offside at the goal line has become a joke.  It seems to me there is a lot if poor decisions being made in the game and affecting results

It's you.

Is it me

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

People say this every season when I’m fact they’re not that bad. Usually when people complain about the ref it’s because their team has lost. If you think they’re that bad why not have a go yourself

Can you point us to the golden age when you were celebrating "reffereeing" standards?

As I've mentioned before, I used to work in a school and it would always baffle me when kids would hand in work they'd done on a computer and there would be massive spelling and grammatical mistakes all over it. They are on a computer, there is a spell checker right there and an autocorrect function and go on the Internet and you've even got a dictionary, no excuse to be spelling stuff wrong on a computer, just thought I'd put that out there. 

I’ve never got the “well, why don’t you become a ref” that weird people bring up when people question a referee, yet you never get anyone saying “well, why don’t you play prop for Wakefield in Super League” when people discuss errors made by players. 

That said, some fans seeming urge for perfection is weird. Unless you stop the game every tackle to break down absolutely everything through the video ref, you’re going to have games lasting twenty four hours and to expect a bloke, who has an exceptionally high level of fitness to see something in real time during an elite sporting event like a Super League game, which, even at its poorest is incredibly fast and tough, is crazy. 

However, this isn’t a particular gripe on any game this evening but I would love to hear more from the video referees when it comes to the decision making. Not the “pause it there, have we got another camera angle?, pause it, rewind it” nonsense you get on BBC but once they have come to their decision, I’d like them to come over the tannoy and just give a brief explanation to how they’ve come to the decision they have. 

5 hours ago, Nekker said:

Unless someone knows otherwise, the ball has never had to be passed backwards. It just can`t be passed forwards. Level is legal. This is an important distinction in terms of where the benefit of the doubt should go.

8 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

As I've mentioned before, I used to work in a school and it would always baffle me when kids would hand in work they'd done on a computer and there would be massive spelling and grammatical mistakes all over it. They are on a computer, there is a spell checker right there and an autocorrect function and go on the Internet and you've even got a dictionary, no excuse to be spelling stuff wrong on a computer, just thought I'd put that out there. 

I bet you checked what you've just wrote a few times for spelling/grammar mistakes! 

13 hours ago, Nekker said:

It’s you 

14 hours ago, Nekker said:

Definitely you

Lots of mistakes by players & coaches. Any view on that?

Archived