Super League Players - Lack of Size

26 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I got Grammar to have a quick look at it but her spelling is worse than mine, by the way she said you look like a very nice young man in your photo but she said your suit was a little tight under the arms.

It was reaching over Pommie John, caused it to stretch out of shape. Good old Fred. C'mon on Manly Warringah, up the Maroons! (manly's colours)

7 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

It was reaching over Pommie John, caused it to stretch out of shape. Good old Fred. C'mon on Manly Warringah, up the Maroons! (manly's colours)

Mate, I think they poured you into that suit, could of been worse, when you posted it I didn`t know whether you were talking about their right side or ours, after much deliberation I had you pegged as the bloke on the other side, I knew you said you were young when you came to Oz but I thought well maybe he`s had a hard life.😉 Mate I`m from NSW but I was going for the Maroons, gotta love the underdog.

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

As mentioned previously, the significant difference is in the outside backs.

In the NRL you don't really see the standard 5'10 to 6ft/84 to 88kg centre or wingers that are in abundance in SL. They're generally all over 6ft and around 95kg + mark.

Also helps as a sport having first pick of any athlete in NSW and QLD.

Agreed the biggest difference is in the outside backs.

However it’s true across the board. Take the back rowers in Origin, Cordner 102kg, Frizell 108kg, Trbojevic 107kg, Kaufusi 109kg, Hess 114kg, Faasuamaleaui 107kg. 

Compared to potential England back rowers named by Wane ,Bateman 96kg,  Whitehead 102kg, Knowles 94kg, Currie 102kg, Farrell 93kg.

Our biggest player is the same weight as their smallest player in the back row, we are significantly smaller.

I suspect that very few tackles are completed by one player.  So, to coin a phrase, size isn't everything!  St Helens' Theo Fages (just under 5' 8") is a tackling machine, but he consistently goes round the legs; he is brilliantly reliable in doing so.  Even the biggest can be easily toppled by a second man in when the first in uses Fages' approach.  You just need the second tackler to be there quickly because, of course, what a tackle round the legs cannot stop is an offload. 

Archived