Elite 1 Update

audois

16 hours ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

I have to say these matches are great. Also about twenty of us watch every Saturday and this week planning a virtual meet up to watch the Saturday game with a few beers every stream helps !

How dyou get in on the virtual meet up?

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18/01/2021 at 13:47, BJW said:

Off topic but any idea who the person I see in Staines on Thames town centre in a FCL jacket is ? Doubtless he wonders who the person in the SOA kit is ! See if I can find my FCL centenary shirt and really confuse him !

Their eyes meet across the town centre. Two star-crossed RL fans. So poignant.

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Their eyes meet across the town centre. Two star-crossed RL fans. So poignant.

Dear UP, I understand that Mills & Boon are trying to get in touch with you.  Apparently, they think you could have what it takes to join their team of writers!

42 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Dear UP, I understand that Mills & Boon are trying to get in touch with you.  Apparently, they think you could have what it takes to join their team of writers!

Alphabetti spaghetti and diarrhoea ? 

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Wherefore art thou, person in FCL jacket?

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December;
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
    Eagerly I wished the morrow;—vainly I had sought to borrow
    From my books surcease of sorrow—sorrow for the lost Feuceuleu !!

16 hours ago, BJW said:
 Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December;
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
    Eagerly I wished the morrow;—vainly I had sought to borrow
    From my books surcease of sorrow—sorrow for the lost Feuceuleu !!

"Parting is such sweet sorrow"

Why not conquer your diffidence and say "Bonjour"? When you slip into your FCL centenary shirt - "Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight! For I ne`er saw true beauty till this night."

Possible concern that FCL are the only RL club I`m aware of who wear pink.

"Tempt not a desperate man"

21 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

5 mins on the Avignon Club.

This popped up in my recommendations a few days ago - really good.

Particularly liked the way they included women`s, juniors, wheelchair, as part of a whole with the top side. Building from the foundations is the best way for clubs to make sustainable progress. The more they have going on at community level the better. The one thing they`re missing is a recognisably RL non-contact offer.

12 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

That winger for St Gaudens (Minga the winger?) looks like a bit of a finisher! Did I translate the commentary right that some union clubs are after him?

After playing earlier at Toulouse Olympique he went to Narbonne rugby union club for a while. I don't understand why he left TO. He's finding his feet again I think this season.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

"Parting is such sweet sorrow"

Why not conquer your diffidence and say "Bonjour"? When you slip into your FCL centenary shirt - "Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight! For I ne`er saw true beauty till this night."

Possible concern that FCL are the only RL club I`m aware of who wear pink.

"Tempt not a desperate man"

Only seen him in passing as we both seemed in a hurry to get somewhere (probably out of Staines !) but will try next time.

'Look on my kit ye mighty and despair'

Seen a couple of other French sides playing in pink kit (or maybe they were white shirts that got washed with some red socks ?) and apparently Stade Francais in another code have it as their primary strip.

'We'll drink a drink, a drink
To Lily the Pink, the Pink, the Pink
The savior of the human race'

2 hours ago, audois said:

After playing earlier at Toulouse Olympique he went to Narbonne rugby union club for a while. I don't understand why he left TO. He's finding his feet again I think this season.

St.Gaudens played a very compressed defence and attack v Carca, so he didn’t get many chances.  Wasn’t a great spectacle but it showed that the Canaries aren’t the favourites I thought they were!

6 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

St.Gaudens played a very compressed defence and attack v Carca, so he didn’t get many chances.  Wasn’t a great spectacle but it showed that the Canaries aren’t the favourites I thought they were!

It's tough to pick this season.  From the matches I have seen (quite a few), I think St Esteve, Carcassonne and Lezignan are the strongest (on paper, and on their day).  Yet they still seem to struggle against some of the bottom teams at times.  Credit to those bottom teams of course, but I think these top 3 need to get a bit more consistency as we get closer to the end of the season.  If I had to pick the Grand Final today, based on what I have seen so far, I'd say it will be St Esteve vs Lezignan.

2 hours ago, langpark said:

It's tough to pick this season.  From the matches I have seen (quite a few), I think St Esteve, Carcassonne and Lezignan are the strongest (on paper, and on their day).  Yet they still seem to struggle against some of the bottom teams at times.  Credit to those bottom teams of course, but I think these top 3 need to get a bit more consistency as we get closer to the end of the season.  If I had to pick the Grand Final today, based on what I have seen so far, I'd say it will be St Esteve vs Lezignan.

St Esteve v carcassone for me. Like you say some of the lower teams are competitive thou. I did think st gaudens looked really good. I'd also love to see Avignon mount a late charge to the top  

17 hours ago, BJW said:

Only seen him in passing as we both seemed in a hurry to get somewhere (probably out of Staines !) but will try next time.

When I used to catch the bus in Bolton on the way to games, my Swinton jersey often prompted a comment from other passengers. Disappointingly the most common was "what`s that?", but nonetheless it lead to conversations which, as a surly teenager, I wouldn`t have dreamt of striking up otherwise.

RL merchandise seems to indicate the wearer belongs to an underground subculture. Unsurprising this secret society element prevails in Staines, but having to explain what RL is a few miles down the road from Leigh is extraordinary.

BTW, beginning with "Star-crossed", all my references and quotes have been from Romeo and Juliet. Rather think you`re lowering the tone with "Lily the Pink".

43 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

BTW, beginning with "Star-crossed", all my references and quotes have been from Romeo and Juliet. Rather think you`re lowering the tone with "Lily the Pink".

But I did think it was nicely counterpointed by the reference to Shelley.

11 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

His earlier Edgar Allan Poe quote had me thinking about a "Murders in the Rue Morgue" allusion. Decided instead to keep the mood romantic.

"Lily the Pink" is the type of ditty favoured by legless Rugger Boogerres.

Well if you regard Roger McGough and John Gorman as lowering the tone . . . . . . . . . 

Still, "Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

23 hours ago, langpark said:

Simon and Mullally make a difference to Carcassonne but the half backs are playing like they’ve never been introduced to one another.  Sure, Albert set the momentum recognising a weakness on St.G right edge, for their 1st try.  Barring that and a 40/20 he was very quiet.  If they can fix that ‘relationship’ they will be in the mix.

Archived