Elite 1 Update

audois

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hearing that Elite 2 will re-start 10-11 April with just 10 teams. Split into 2 groups of 5. Training including contact starts 15th March. The Dragons back at Brutus on the 1st March.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Yes. I've seen this hopefully it happens but I'm not holding my breath. Elite 2 is almost amateur so I can't see the clubs willing to pay for testing. Hopefully all the leagues and ages restart. Lyon have said they're not starting and waiting until next year. 

That would be great if it happens!  Lyon opting out makes it more realistic too, because they are the furthest (and most isolated) team from the rest.  If/When this happens, will an extra team need to step in to make it 10 teams?

From memory, these teams have recently played Elite 2:  Tonneins, Realmont, La Reole, US Ferrals.  Would any of those teams be able/willing to step up and join in?

I have just worked it out lets compare lets say Leeds Rhinos to Carcassonne (Not counting the trip to Perpignan by air) Carcassonne will travel on average 55 + miles more on a round trip than Leeds in Elite 1 over the course of the season and that allows for 2 matches less away:) in a regular season.

Elite 2 used to be worse especially when there were clubs in Lyon and Paris.

Paul

Just south of the border things seem to be moving. Geroné FC expect to receive Almeria - Spanish 2nd division on 7th March with "a Covid free" crowd on Stade municipal Montilivi - via negative test or a vaccination required. Maybe the Dragons teams will follow suite later. Fingers crossed.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

Great news this.  I assume foreign Elite 1 players will be in this team, though it is not clear in the article.  I do hope they give a slight preference though to some of the local (and younger) talent.

Two great pre-season matches there for Dragons, this one and Toulouse the week after.  What a shame fans cannot attend.

I would expect though, players of that calibre to already be in good shape.  This should actually be a really good match, given that Elite 1 is in full swing, players will be in peak match fitness, while Catalans will be rusty.  Hopefully the Elite 1 team can get a couple of training sessions in together before the game.

On 19/02/2021 at 13:15, audois said:

Just south of the border things seem to be moving. Geroné FC expect to receive Almeria - Spanish 2nd division on 7th March with "a Covid free" crowd on Stade municipal Montilivi - via negative test or a vaccination required. Maybe the Dragons teams will follow suite later. Fingers crossed.

Is there actually a Spanish second division? I’ve had a look and can’t find anything about it (though admittedly I don’t google in Spanish). Do you know how many teams there are etc? 

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Do Toulouse ever play this Elite 1 XIII side? 

That is a good idea and would be a good match also.  I think you'll find the problem will be, that it will be hard to find another "gap" weekend to make this possible.  To form the Elite 1 XIII team, Elite 1 needs to be off that weekend.  Given how many catch-up matches need to be played, because of postponements this season, will make it even harder to squeeze into the schedule.

15 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Do Toulouse ever play this Elite 1 XIII side? 

Not that I can remember. TO XIII are slowly moving forward to be like the Dragons. Catalans a decade in front at least in their formation - the Dragons have played several times against Elite 1 Selection.

This coming weekend promises the best so far. The dress rehearsal maybe for the May Play Offs. The present top six playing each other. Leaders St Esteve v joint 2nd place Carcassonne possibly to be played at Brutus the choice pick with a couple of recent Dragons in Canaris colours. Lezignan v Limoux in an Aude Derby leaving rising Avignon 4th hosting Villeneuve/Lot 5th placed. What’s not to like.

Finally figured out how to watch YouTube through my new smart TV (yes the TV’s smarter than the owner) and I’m watching Avignon v Albi. Great to see some live sport other than NHL and NBA and I’m pretty impressed by the production quality (although a little over enthusiastic over the replays resulting in conversions being missed). My questions would be

1. Is there any indication as to the viewing figures for these games in France?

2. Had this been a COVID free world and this game was able to have fans present, how many fans would normally be expected for this game?

Have to say I loved the ad for the English Pub pitch side, address Place Pie. Owned by a Wiganer by any chance?

2 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Finally figured out how to watch YouTube through my new smart TV (yes the TV’s smarter than the owner) and I’m watching Avignon v Albi. Great to see some live sport other than NHL and NBA and I’m pretty impressed by the production quality (although a little over enthusiastic over the replays resulting in conversions being missed). My questions would be

1. Is there any indication as to the viewing figures for these games in France?

2. Had this been a COVID free world and this game was able to have fans present, how many fans would normally be expected for this game?

Have to say I loved the ad for the English Pub pitch side, address Place Pie. Owned by a Wiganer by any chance?

Games I have been watching have had anywhere from 400 to about 1400 at any given time.  Bear in mind though, sometimes there are multiple matches happening at ones, which obviously means lower per game, as opposed to days where there is just one match.

I hope and expect St Esteve vs Carcassonne this weekend can get up to and possibly over 1500.

St Esteve few changes from last week for the clash with Carcassonne tomorrow at Brutus. Looks a bit like the team that lost against the Canaris earlier and nothing like the team which turned over Lezignan with the likes of Le Cam, Cozza, Laguerre, Belmas et al. Maybe Steve McNamara keeping them back for next week against Elite1 Selection. Interesting that game now to be played at Aime Giral as Brutus is being used by local Canet soccer team in the French Cup game agains the mighty Marseille Olympique.

Archived