Clubs consider combining Championship and League 1 for 24-team competition

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Don't get involved then Tommy if its not for you. Stick with the SL inner circle. That circle gets smaller and smaller every month. 

I'll stick with a fully professional game. One that clubs aspire to be in.

I don't have any issue with what you proposed, just thought it needed checking against the reality that such a competition would be offering an entirely different ethos of competition. A community focused game is fine, perhaps easier to grow even, but will never hold elite status in this country.

11 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The NRL is a closed shop.  That is not boring.  Its thriving.  'Driving seat!?'  Is that how your brain works?

You live in a dreamworld and its your dreaming ... pretending we are in the 1950's ... that is holding back our game. 

😂Triggered. 

Ever thought it could be you living in a dream world Cocker. Are you a Wolfpacker? I will dream along with those 24 or 25 RL clubs cheers. 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I'll stick with a fully professional game. One that clubs aspire to be in.

I don't have any issue with what you proposed, just thought it needed checking against the reality that such a competition would be offering an entirely different ethos of competition. A community focused game is fine, perhaps easier to grow even, but will never hold elite status in this country.

Sky pay for a fully professional elite league with big clubs and stars. We are arguably struggling to provide that as is. I don't know why people think that Sky would really be happy to pay the same for a part time league or leagues.

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I can see the following going forward:

- 12 team Super League. 
- 10 team “Super League 2”. 
- Two eight team conferences beneath it. 

Where do all the additional clubs come from and who funds them?

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

😂Triggered. 

Ever thought it could be you living in a dream world Cocker. Are you a Wolfpacker? I will dream along with those 24 or 25 RL clubs cheers. 

If your dreams don't extend beyond an extra 100 or so away fans once or twice a year in exchange for a 60 point loss then I'd suggest you reassess.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

- 12 team Super League. 

That would be the best alternative. With guaranteed movement between the 3 tiers. 

2 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

If your dreams don't extend beyond an extra 100 or so away fans once or twice a year in exchange for a 60 point loss then I'd suggest you reassess.

We bring the away fans just fine. Just thinking about the overall good of the game. 

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

We bring the away fans just fine. Just thinking about the overall good of the game. 

It's thinking about the overall good of weak clubs unable to get themselves out of league 1 despite having 2 promotions spots for only 11 teams. If you want to play the championship clubs, earn it. That's sport for you.

9 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Wherever someone decides to whack a pin in a map, probably. Who funds them? Who funds them now, themselves. It’s not the right way but when do we normally do things properly?

Well all League 1 clubs get £50k a year, Championship clubs £150k - nearly £600k so was just wondering. They would need some funding from somewhere. Not that I'm against the idea, I think the structure needs more clubs to make it work and that League 1 should be more of a development league anyhow.

5 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

It's thinking about the overall good of weak clubs unable to get themselves out of league 1 despite having 2 promotions spots for only 11 teams. If you want to play the championship clubs, earn it. That's sport for you.

I agree rob but the present system is set up to fail deliberately because certain clubs that do not really ever want to involve your club or mine are sat at the top and want it exactly that way. 

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

I agree rob but the present system is set up to fail deliberately because certain clubs that do not really ever want to involve your club or mine are sat at the top and want it exactly that way. 

Yes, but it may surprise you that those clubs are not catalans, Leeds or Saints, but Wakefield, Salford and Hull KR, ie the teams most threatened by an upcoming team

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

This system will do nothing but benefit those at the bottom of SL who want the status quo, the top of the championship will be severely weakened and diluted with low intensity games and will it will be drastically harder to adjust to the pace of SL for anyone that was promoted. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

- 12 team Super League. 

We practically have that already.

Changing things for the sake of it. 

What ever happened to NL3? That was such a good idea.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

4 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

We practically have that already.

Changing things for the sake of it. 

What ever happened to NL3? That was such a good idea.

NL3 was in place whilst most of the amateur game was still playing in the Winter, once the NCL moved over to the summer NL3 died a death

Archived