Clubs consider combining Championship and League 1 for 24-team competition

45 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Leigh don't receive any match day spending other than tickets and a small % of corporate 

no merch, booze, food, lottery, raffle etc money?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That is why I said I would choose my games, and so to in my opinion would a lot of otger people.

It is a complete non starter, don't even know why it is being discussed.

You are both narrow minded and hypocritical.

You question how to unite the game, but in the same breadth you say that you would pick your own home games!  You argue you would not even buy a season ticket even though that offers a number of free games.

I realise this is based on a 24 comp., and such a league would mean it would cut itself off from SL... but really, this is wrong headed.

21 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

You are both narrow minded and hypocritical.

You question how to unite the game, but in the same breadth you say that you would pick your own home games!  You argue you would not even buy a season ticket even though that offers a number of free games.

I realise this is based on a 24 comp., and such a league would mean it would cut itself off from SL... but really, this is wrong headed.

I go to games to be entertained, I don't relish blow out scorelines never have never will, I didn't argue that I wouldn't buy a season ticket I catagorically stated I wouldn't. I am not bothered about free games, but I don't see the point in purchasing sonething that will in my mind ve little more than useless, on the other hand if Leigh were the chosen team to join SL I would purchase a ST even though there may be a possibility it would not be used,  the attraction of the fixtures is so much more appealing than whatever a regionalised 24 team comp would bring.

Look Princey, we all know you would gladly cut off the Championship and League 1 and close the P&R door without hesitation that is your prerogative, I have stated my intention should that happen.

PS, how would you unite the game? 

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If the teams got equal funding the playing quality would soon even out 

Even if one team averages 100 fans and another averages 4,000? If your argument was true all the SL clubs would be even in quality. 

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Yes - I see it very clearly as a carp idea.

Do we want to project ourselves as a regional game divided into even more regional conferences ?

No regional conferences in that structure especially with TW, TO, Ottawa, Avignon in it. Straight forward P&R between them, then grow as other clubs can afford to enter - the structure should have min salary spends not max

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Even if one team averages 100 fans and another averages 4,000? If your argument was true all the SL clubs would be even in quality. 

I didn’t say they’d all be completely even. Halifax v West Wales Raiders would be a blowout score if it was played tomorrow. If it was played in a few years time with the two teams receiving equal funding it’d be a much closer and more competitive game.

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I didn’t say they’d all be completely even. Halifax v West Wales Raiders would be a blowout score if it was played tomorrow. If it was played in a few years time with the two teams receiving equal funding it’d be a much closer and more competitive game.

Yep Fax haven’t recruited well so far 😜

19 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

No regional conferences in that structure especially with TW, TO, Ottawa, Avignon in it. Straight forward P&R between them, then grow as other clubs can afford to enter - the structure should have min salary spends not max

Why Avignon, they get about 400 fans to their games, and have they even expressed an interest in joining the English system and do they have a backer willing to put the required money in? Or have you just put a pin in the map?

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

How will it ever be united LD when the rewards for being in the SL - funding wise - far far outstrip everything else, it will be protected as much as the clubs are allowed to do so. 

Many people argue on these pages that the SC is at a level to suit the poorest of the SL clubs and therefore it is holding the game back, but many of those self same people say that below SL level we should have equal funding across the divisions, is that not going to have the same result with rewarding those clubs who cannot or do not have the wherewithal to improove their lot. 

I predict if funding is drastically reduced or stopped altogether below SL level it will have dire consequences on the game as a whole in the not to distant future, and it will begin almost immediately the blue touch paper is ignited.

It is a very interesting phrase you use "to unite the sport" what do you suggest?

I used ‘Sweaty’s phrase which alluded to P&R but my belief is that a single, independent, governing body would be the way forward to cover the pro game.  It will still get its detractors but would be far better than what we have now, which is a group full of self interest.

TO, Leigh, Fev, London are the only realistic teams available right now to step up.  It would be interesting to see them all submit their applications for promotion under a similar criteria to the TWP precedent set by elstone. 

36 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

So it's just a method of spreading the money more thinly so that Leigh can get a share.

What interest do you reckon Sky would have in Division 2 ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

17 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

TO, Leigh, Fev, London are the only realistic teams available right now to step up.  It would be interesting to see them all submit their applications for promotion under a similar criteria to the TWP precedent set by elstone. 

It would also be interesting to see the likes of Wakey, Salford, Cas and Hull KR doing the same.....

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

That is why I said I would choose my games, and so to in my opinion would a lot of otger people.

It is a complete non starter, don't even know why it is being discussed.

Is it being seriously discussed, other than on forums such as this?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

45 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Only clubs who have finished in the top six of the Championship in 2018 or ‘19 or who were in Super League in ‘18 or ‘19 can apply. 

So that’s London, Toulouse, York, Leigh, Fev and Bradford. I think. 

Where is this from HW?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

57 minutes ago, Griff said:

So it's just a method of spreading the money more thinly so that Leigh can get a share.

What interest do you reckon Sky would have in Division 2 ?

Is that SL2? They would have a huge interest, bottom/top swap places and a play off 2-4 SL2 and 2nd bottom SL1. 2 SL1 games a week plus 1 SL2 means not watching the same teams over and over again - Sky didn't want to lose the mid 8's just the top 8's were sheeite. 

Regarding the cash then take the 2 less clubs in SL1 and add the T8 from Championship money for SL2 PLUS  the great deal all these French teams will bring and the 2 Canada clubs - SL2 could end up on more money

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

I’ve just quoted an article on the promotion thread 

Thanks, just seen it.

42 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Only clubs who have finished in the top six of the Championship in 2018 or ‘19 or who were in Super League in ‘18 or ‘19 can apply. 

So that’s London, Toulouse, York, Leigh, Fev and Bradford. I think. 

Those 6 plus Halifax (top 6 in 2018) and Widnes (played in SL in 2018) will be eligible. I would think that recent financial history should rule out Bradford and Widnes if appraised sensibly.

Archived