Clubs consider combining Championship and League 1 for 24-team competition

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.totalrl.com/seven-clubs-eligible-for-super-league-entry-after-super-league-outline-criteria/

Well, as if by magic.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/57344/lord-caine-to-chair-seven-strong-panel-to-determine-th-betfred-super-league-club-for-

The RFL and SLE are conscious of the limited period of time for the preparation of applications, but equally aware that the successful club will need time to prepare for the 2021 season. The application criteria will be aligned, where possible, with information and documentation already held by the RFL, or which applicant clubs should already have in existence.

3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:
3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

It would also be interesting to see the likes of Wakey, Salford, Cas and Hull KR doing the same.....

TO, Leigh, Fev, London are the only realistic teams available right now to step up.  It would be interesting to see them all submit their applications for promotion under a similar criteria to the TWP precedent set by elstone. 

That's one of the best things that could come out of the forthcoming appraisal/adjudication - it should (in theory) highlight how possession of a SL place is nine tenths of the law, especially if the stadium is a significant part of the judgement equation, as it should be.

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

It would also be interesting to see the likes of Wakey, Salford, Cas and Hull KR doing the same.....

Indeed. Michael Carter was on the Full 80 Minutes podcast this week saying that TWP didn’t offer any commercial value to SL. I wonder what value Wakey offer to SL over and above what Toronto did - it’s not like Sky sell loads of Sky dishes so people can watch Trinity games. 

He also said ‘the clubs made the right decision’ and then said ‘erm I mean the super league executives’. 

Considering the very real prospect of the government applying a TV rights levy to Premier League incomes (if that sport can't get its act together and spread the financial benefits - mainly due to clubs self interest btw), SL clubs should take note and show far more interest in helping lower league clubs achieve a good outcome. If I was a lower league chairman I would be lobbying my MP for a similar inquiry by the DSM.

15 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

Considering the very real prospect of the government applying a TV rights levy to Premier League incomes (if that sport can't get its act together and spread the financial benefits - mainly due to clubs self interest btw), SL clubs should take note and show far more interest in helping lower league clubs achieve a good outcome. If I was a lower league chairman I would be lobbying my MP for a similar inquiry by the DSM.

It different though isn't it. The Premier League vs the championship is a vast chasm financially, but that's accounted for by the international footballers wage market and the strength of the Premier league itself. The problem really is that TV massively overpays for the premier league but massively underpays for the EFL.

SL vs the Championship and League 1 on the other hand is another scenario altogether. Without SL being a professional competition propped up by a relatively small but significant in RL terms TV contract, no RL club would get central funding money. SL clubs aren't hoarding wealth they're simply paying their (already depressed) player wages. There's not that much to redistribute from the SL pot. From the Championship there's plenty of equalising to be done however.

45 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There's not that much to redistribute from the SL pot. 

I disagree, there are many parallels with top clubs controlling the direction of a sport that ultimately, is unfair. The government think so anyway. If you don't think a precedent is being set then that's up to you to ignore. I believe it could be a seismic manoeuvre.

I also disagree with the above.

32 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

I disagree, there are many parallels with top clubs controlling the direction of a sport that ultimately, is unfair. The government think so anyway. If you don't think a precedent is being set then that's up to you to ignore. I believe it could be a seismic manoeuvre.

I also disagree with the above.

They already distribute just under half of the TV money down and to the RFL despite being (bar the summer bash and a handful of playoff games) the only thing Sky shows. They also restarted (and therefore removed themselves from furlough) so that the TV money that sustains them and, more importantly in this discussion, the lower division clubs could come in whilst the lower division teams still retained furlough. What more exactly do you want? Equal funding for West Wales and Wigan?

RL at the current time is one of the best sports at redistributing downwards. Has any lower league club has suggested they face financial oblivion (compared with St Helens etc being plain and honest about the real prospects of that in Super League)?

Football may have to worry about this imposed change. Super League may have to change its plans for post 2021, but for now its fine in my book.

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I go to games to be entertained, I don't relish blow out scorelines never have never will, I didn't argue that I wouldn't buy a season ticket I catagorically stated I wouldn't. I am not bothered about free games, but I don't see the point in purchasing sonething that will in my mind ve little more than useless, on the other hand if Leigh were the chosen team to join SL I would purchase a ST even though there may be a possibility it would not be used,  the attraction of the fixtures is so much more appealing than whatever a regionalised 24 team comp would bring.

Look Princey, we all know you would gladly cut off the Championship and League 1 and close the P&R door without hesitation that is your prerogative, I have stated my intention should that happen.

PS, how would you unite the game? 

The game needs a viable structure.  A structure that can grow. There is ultimately a finite top tier that our structure can sustain.  We cannot unite the game unless we accept that. 

If we can be successful with what we have now, we can expand the structure and that top tier can grow to reach its optimum.  We cannot unite the game unless we accept that. 

Work out that viable structure. What are the tiers? How do they work?  The current structure does not work. It is not viable. We have to accept that. Thats the first step.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Indeed. Michael Carter was on the Full 80 Minutes podcast this week saying that TWP didn’t offer any commercial value to SL. I wonder what value Wakey offer to SL over and above what Toronto did - it’s not like Sky sell loads of Sky dishes so people can watch Trinity games. 

He also said ‘the clubs made the right decision’ and then said ‘erm I mean the super league executives’. 

Did they not ask him this? It’s the first question I’d ask him. He expects Toronto certainly add more commercial value than Wakefield.

2 hours ago, Ackroman said:

Many Championship clubs are already given far too much 

13 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Wigan council own the stadium, having spent £83 million building Leigh Sports Village, you can’t then expect them to hand all revenue over to the club.

I am asking questions as I do not know the answers so I am interested. 

And no, i would not expect them to hand all revenue over to the club, i have not said that. I am surprised to hear they dont get any portion of the revenue from food sales etc yes. They pay rent for the stadium (which is where the council get money back) I would have thought any money brought in by the paying fans would be split so that the club get some of the revenue, i am surprised they do not.

Do they also not sell merchandise at all on the day?

12 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Many Championship clubs are already given far too much 

And many of the posters that campaign for parity with Super League argue against fairness when it comes to every Championship clubs being funded equally, like what happens in SL and League 1.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

And many of the posters that campaign for parity with Super League argue against fairness when it comes to every Championship clubs being funded equally, like what happens in SL and League 1.

Absolutely, the hypocrisy of Championship fans who don’t think Batley, Swinton or Whitehaven should get equal funding to their club in the Championship, but think if they get to Super League they should get the same as Leeds, Wigan and Saints is unbelievable.

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

The funding gap between the top & bottom of the Championship is ridiculous and makes a mockery of the division and  displays the same self interest that blights Superleague.

Archived