Clubs consider combining Championship and League 1 for 24-team competition

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RP London said:

I am asking questions as I do not know the answers so I am interested. 

And no, i would not expect them to hand all revenue over to the club, i have not said that. I am surprised to hear they dont get any portion of the revenue from food sales etc yes. They pay rent for the stadium (which is where the council get money back) I would have thought any money brought in by the paying fans would be split so that the club get some of the revenue, i am surprised they do not.

Do they also not sell merchandise at all on the day?

In fact as far as food and drink is concerned, the stewards on the gates are under instruction to search anyone - they do as a matter of course - with women who carry a bag to see if they are carrying any drink, even pop for the kids is taken away it's not just alcohol and any food I have even seen a bag of crisp confiscated, long gone are the days when you could take into the LSV your own flask and half time pork pie or sandwich, all consumables must be purchased inside the stadium. 

Only if a person has dietry requirement are they allowed to do so, but to do that they have to write to the stadium controlers and be issued with a permit.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

The funding gap between the top & bottom of the Championship is ridiculous and makes a mockery of the division and  displays the same self interest that blights Superleague.

Funding awarded in the Championship should be commensurate with the amount a club itself spends to both develop and advance the club, but it could be argued that is already done so by awarding prize money on a sliding scale, if the club didn't invest in it's playing roster it wouldn't finish in a position to reap the rewards. 

It's like buying a house, if you invest a small amount don't expect to live in as salubrious astheitically surroundings as those who spend so much more.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Funding awarded in the Championship should be commensurate with the amount a club itself spends to both develop and advance the club, but it could be argued that is already done so by awarding prize money on a sliding scale, if the club didn't invest in it's playing roster it wouldn't finish in a position to reap the rewards. 

It's like buying a house, if you invest a small amount don't expect to live in as salubrious astheitically surroundings as those who spend so much more.

Absolute tripe and you have the nerve to criticise Superleague clubs,the good old Leigh double standards.

33 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

In fact as far as food and drink is concerned, the stewards on the gates are under instruction to search anyone - they do as a matter of course - with women who carry a bag to see if they are carrying any drink, even pop for the kids is taken away it's not just alcohol and any food I have even seen a bag of crisp confiscated, long gone are the days when you could take into the LSV your own flask and half time pork pie or sandwich, all consumables must be purchased inside the stadium. 

Only if a person has dietry requirement are they allowed to do so, but to do that they have to write to the stadium controlers and be issued with a permit.

Christ.. thats the sort of thing that would make me sit on my hands.. 

I am a big one for going in wanting a dirty burger or hot dog, a beer buy a shirt/cap/hat etc if i haven't already got one.. as i know clubs need this.. was disappointed at an Eagles match where i went with my son (who had a £1 season ticket).. as it cost me £1 to get in i was more than happy to buy him a shirt etc.. none there available which i thought was just turning money away for no reason (at the time it was trestle tables by the gate for things and it really wouldn't have been hard to do). The one thing i do want to do is take a bottle of water in, especially for the kids, and if they get like the above i tend to get a bit miffed and take my business for food and booze outside the ground.

26 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Absolute tripe and you have the nerve to criticise Superleague clubs,the good old Leigh double standards.

See there you go again, I challenge you look back over 8,000 posts and quote me where I have criticised  the SL clubs of the money they are awarded, I have said many many times that there are clubs outside of SL who are as deserving of being in SL as some clubs who occupy those positions,. Throughout this spat you and others keep throwing of the rejection of Toronto I have never said the SL clubs are thinking of themselves in sharing the funding, I have never criticised the reduced amount of funding the club who would be invited into SL would recieve.

No double standards from me Dav, do you honestly believe that say Whitehaven should be awarded as much as those clubs with people who are investing and spending striving to improve their lot, The Championship has become in the last 6 years a much better vibrant competition with more teams year on year challenging for the top,  but that has been done on the back of those willing to put more into it and speculate.

19 minutes ago, RP London said:

Christ.. thats the sort of thing that would make me sit on my hands.. 

I am a big one for going in wanting a dirty burger or hot dog, a beer buy a shirt/cap/hat etc if i haven't already got one.. as i know clubs need this.. was disappointed at an Eagles match where i went with my son (who had a £1 season ticket).. as it cost me £1 to get in i was more than happy to buy him a shirt etc.. none there available which i thought was just turning money away for no reason (at the time it was trestle tables by the gate for things and it really wouldn't have been hard to do). The one thing i do want to do is take a bottle of water in, especially for the kids, and if they get like the above i tend to get a bit miffed and take my business for food and booze outside the ground.

Yep no water allowed, I used to take 3 grandsons with me and they would go into the corner shop close to the ground and buy pop and sweets or crisps, and in the winter months I would take a flask of soup and enough cups for each, but obviously a bag was required to transport such items, not allowed now, anyway thise same grandsons are of an age now where alcohol is their preferred choice and into the pub before the game is the norm, the stuff they sell in the stadium is not fit for human consumption edpecially at the price it is sold at, I feel no remorse at not purchasing within the stadium confines but if the club was benefiting from the sales then I may take a different attitude - but they would have to change the brand of beers on sale.

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

See there you go again, I challenge you look back over 8,000 posts and quote me where I have criticised  the SL clubs of the money they are awarded, I have said many many times that there are clubs outside of SL who are as deserving of being in SL as some clubs who occupy those positions,. Throughout this spat you and others keep throwing of the rejection of Toronto I have never said the SL clubs are thinking of themselves in sharing the funding, I have never criticised the reduced amount of funding the club who would be invited into SL would recieve.

No double standards from me Dav, do you honestly believe that say Whitehaven should be awarded as much as those clubs with people who are investing and spending striving to improve their lot, The Championship has become in the last 6 years a much better vibrant competition with more teams year on year challenging for the top,  but that has been done on the back of those willing to put more into it and speculate.

I'm sure you 100% agree that the 12th team should get 1 million and Saints, Wigan, Leeds should have got upwards of 2.75 million for their recent SL wins?

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yep no water allowed, I used to take 3 grandsons with me and they would go into the corner shop close to the ground and buy pop and sweets or crisps, and in the winter months I would take a flask of soup and enough cups for each, but obviously a bag was required to transport such items, not allowed now, anyway thise same grandsons are of an age now where alcohol is their preferred choice and into the pub before the game is the norm, the stuff they sell in the stadium is not fit for human consumption edpecially at the price it is sold at, I feel no remorse at not purchasing within the stadium confines but if the club was benefiting from the sales then I may take a different attitude - but they would have to change the brand of beers on sale.

The one thing with Eagles at the moment that they do well is because they have stalls there they get in a real ale pub/producer and the beer and food (proper BBQ) is really good.. more than happy to put my hand in my pocket.. just need to drive there less!

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm sure you 100% agree that the 12th team should get 1 million and Saints, Wigan, Leeds should have got upwards of 2.75 million for their recent SL wins?

If those are the rules that come with the invitation then those are the rules Tommy,  if any club is accepting of them and still submits an application then it is no point complaining about it afterwards, a little like the Canadian club who said they would pay for the travel and subsistance of all visiting clubs and not wanting any funding in return, only to object to it at a later date when they realised they made a mistake in their initial desire to play in the league, so if any Championship club who wishes to take up the 12th spot does so,  it is no point complaining if they are relegated at the end of the season for the funding discrepancy they suffer with the other teams. 

A savvy Chairman of the succesful 'promoted' club would not spend above their means to compete in SL just spend what is awarded and give the player's the benefit of playing at a higher level in preperation for a push for promotion in '22.

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

A savvy Chairman of the succesful 'promoted' club would not spend above their means to compete in SL just spend what is awarded and give the player's the benefit of playing at a higher level in preperation for a push for promotion in '22.

Yes smart that one!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

And the following year the ones that got more money spend more money, then get more money as they spent more money. What a brilliant idea that will absolutely not create an even bigger gap year on year.....

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Wigan council own the stadium, having spent £83 million building Leigh Sports Village, you can’t then expect them to hand all revenue over to the club.

Wigan council didn't spend £ 83 million at all , they provided the land , and underwrote the project , the money came from other sources , none from Leigh Centurions 

And yes they administer the site via a stadium management company 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

The clubs retail outlet is in the town centre , not at the stadium , and is currently shut due to the global pandemic 

ah ok fair enough.

1 hour ago, RP London said:

The one thing with Eagles at the moment that they do well is because they have stalls there they get in a real ale pub/producer and the beer and food (proper BBQ) is really good.. more than happy to put my hand in my pocket.. just need to drive there less!

When they get a proper stadium that will all change 

40 minutes ago, dkw said:

And the following year the ones that got more money spend more money, then get more money as they spent more money. What a brilliant idea that will absolutely not create an even bigger gap year on year.....

That is true DK , so what do you suggest should happen ? , And the consequences of that will be what ?

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

When they get a proper stadium that will all change 

sure there will be some changes but hope that they keep proper beer and good food... Sheffield has a bucket load of micro breweries so would be good to see them utilised. Its one of those little things that can make a difference and will encourage some people to go or at least one less reason to not go (if that makes sense). 

5 minutes ago, RP London said:

sure there will be some changes but hope that they keep proper beer and good food... Sheffield has a bucket load of micro breweries so would be good to see them utilised. Its one of those little things that can make a difference and will encourage some people to go or at least one less reason to not go (if that makes sense). 

Not a cat in hells chance , best of luck with that 

Leigh had a simple choice , sign up to the LSV on the council's terms , or don't move in and have Hilton Parks capacity reduced to 1,000 , what would you have done 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Not a cat in hells chance , best of luck with that 

Leigh had a simple choice , sign up to the LSV on the council's terms , or don't move in and have Hilton Parks capacity reduced to 1,000 , what would you have done 

not making a judgement mate just asking questions as i didnt know the situation and was asking following on from the conversation with Harry about season tickets etc.. 

1 minute ago, RP London said:

not making a judgement mate just asking questions as i didnt know the situation and was asking following on from the conversation with Harry about season tickets etc.. 

As I said , what would you have done ? , The club had a gun held to their head 

The LSV ( stadium ) works in SL , it was built for SL , the deal works for the club in SL , unfortunately the RFL renaged on the criteria it set , allowing clubs ( who through no fault of their own a might add ) to gain or remain in SL despite not being fortunate enough to improve their facilities , the clubs in question were Salford ( at that time ) , Wakey , CAS and Celtic Crusaders , HKR scraped in just ( but have subsequently improved ) , and recently London 

1 hour ago, dkw said:

But you have to start sometime DK, how have York come from nowhere in last few season's.

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As I said , what would you have done ? , The club had a gun held to their head 

The LSV ( stadium ) works in SL , it was built for SL , the deal works for the club in SL , unfortunately the RFL renaged on the criteria it set , allowing clubs ( who through no fault of their own a might add ) to gain or remain in SL despite not being fortunate enough to improve their facilities , the clubs in question were Salford ( at that time ) , Wakey , CAS and Celtic Crusaders , HKR scraped in just ( but have subsequently improved ) , and recently London 

Gubby... I couldnt possibly care less I was just asking Harry a question which you have decided to answer and get defensive about!

I lost a club to the RFL so get over yourself a little bit.. what you have done in your stadium is up to you i was simply asking Harry, as part of a conversation we were having, about it.

Just now, RP London said:

Gubby... I couldnt possibly care less I was just asking Harry a question which you have decided to answer and get defensive about!

Not defensive at all , just putting the facts as they are ? , Funnily enough Lamport wouldn't have passed the old framing the future criteria for SL entrance 20 years ago , how standards have dropped 🤔

Archived