Jump to content

Clubs consider combining Championship and League 1 for 24-team competition


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dkw said:

And we dont get them now?

And does it particularly matter? Let’s be honest, the Championship and League One’s profile is small to non-existent. This proposal doesn’t change that much either. Beyond six or seven games a year, the Championship is not televised and League One hasn’t been shown, Toronto aside, for what must be quite some time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

So the reponse is to create more lopsided fixtures? Where is the logic in that?

How will it create more lopsided than there is now? Currently theres 2 levels in the championship, there will still be 2 levels in the new set ups with a very similar spread of results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

How does Australia deal with its non NRL grade rugby league?

I understand there is a regional split and no p and r.

How do they make it work over there and is there anything to learn over here?

They fund them. 26 of em. First and foremost. 

Some are NRL owned B teams. Some independent but the whole thing works on a massive duel reg type system. Basically p&r has never existed so there is no real aspirations to it from clubs or fans anyway. These teams at that level over there are about as well supported as our League 1. Fans of NRL Clubs wanting cheap rugby to attend locally and see the developing players. The ones that are independent and formally top flight, still have handfuls of hard-core fans who turned their back on nrl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dkw said:

How will it create more lopsided than there is now? Currently theres 2 levels in the championship, there will still be 2 levels in the new set ups with a very similar spread of results.

There are 2 levels in the championship, 2 levels in league 1, you are advocating that we halve both those divisions with 2 conferences containing 4 levels of clubs. If you take away west Wales fixture against Coventry for example, and swap it for a fixture with Widnes you have removed a competitive fixture and replaced it with one that is laughably unbalanced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you think all 24 will make the start . It might be worth doing while covid about with merit table idea for play offs . No one would want to be relegated from Championship due to covid . At least this competition would have a bit of stability and substance while ever covid is around . 

Chief Crazy Eagle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

They fund them. 26 of em. First and foremost. 

Some are NRL owned B teams. Some independent but the whole thing works on a massive duel reg type system. Basically p&r has never existed so there is no real aspirations to it from clubs or fans anyway. These teams at that level over there are about as well supported as our League 1. Fans of NRL Clubs wanting cheap rugby to attend locally and see the developing players. The ones that are independent and formally top flight, still have handfuls of hard-core fans who turned their back on nrl.

' handfuls ' , that'll work then ? 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dkw said:

And we dont get them now?

I understand where you are going with this dk , essentially you are suggesting hypocrisy by the ' bigger ' Championship clubs in the same way they want to play the best of SL 

We do see blow outs in L1 already , it could get very nasty if you chuck a Fev,Leigh or London in with them 

The only way it could work is if you then bring in a very modest salary cap , essentially ending P and R to SL 

This would then result in feeder clubs like we see in OZ 

Maybe you and others would be happy with that ,I wouldn't , as I doubt would many others 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, del capo said:

Didn't see this coming

Looks like SL is to become a closed shop outside the RFL

Thoughts ?

Sky wouldn't allow a closed shop I don't think, alone without jeopardy and the Championship play off's SL with only the race to Old Trafford to screen cannot create enough interest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

The NRL is a closed shop.  That is not boring.  Its thriving.  'Driving seat!?'  Is that how your brain works?

You live in a dreamworld and its your dreaming ... pretending we are in the 1950's ... that is holding back our game. 

The quality of the NRL is so much closer from the top to the bottom than SL will ever be, how many different clubs have won the GF in the NRL in the last 25years compared to just 4 in SL, if you believe that SL is competitive outside of half it's incumbents I suggest you are in a dreamworld Princey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

They fund them. 26 of em. First and foremost. 

Some are NRL owned B teams. Some independent but the whole thing works on a massive duel reg type system. Basically p&r has never existed so there is no real aspirations to it from clubs or fans anyway. These teams at that level over there are about as well supported as our League 1. Fans of NRL Clubs wanting cheap rugby to attend locally and see the developing players. The ones that are independent and formally top flight, still have handfuls of hard-core fans who turned their back on nrl.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sky wouldn't allow a closed shop I don't think, alone without jeopardy and the Championship play off's SL with only the race to Old Trafford to screen cannot create enough interest. 

They didn't stop it last time though, did they?

I agree with you it wouldn't be in their interest, and I certainly hope we're not heading back to licensing, it made for a staid SL and a listless Championship last time and would do so again.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

The quality of the NRL is so much closer from the top to the bottom than SL will ever be, how many different clubs have won the GF in the NRL in the last 25years compared to just 4 in SL, if you believe that SL is competitive outside of half it's incumbents I suggest you are in a dreamworld Princey.

I'm not making that point.

The NRL is a 'closed shop'... but it still looks to expand.  I am simply saying that even though it has no relegation it is not boring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

I'm not making that point.

The NRL is a 'closed shop'... but it still looks to expand.  I am simply saying that even though it has no relegation it is not boring.

That I agree with Princey the NRL is anything but boring, but you cannot compare SL to the NRL on the other hand SL without jeopardy most definatley is boring, you know without it being spelt out that after half a season 50% of the league would have nothing to play for except avoiding the 'wooden spoon' yipee isn't that exiting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mrfranco said:

They didn't stop it last time though, did they?

I agree with you it wouldn't be in their interest, and I certainly hope we're not heading back to licensing, it made for a staid SL and a listless Championship last time and would do so again.

 

Yes but this time I should think Sky would realise last time it was wrong, the Championship is now far more competitive and if anything SL is not as exiting at the top, last seasons relegation battle was great TV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Yes but this time I should think Sky would realise last time it was wrong, the Championship is now far more competitive and if anything SL is not as exiting at the top, last seasons relegation battle was great TV.

Well then, let's hope they do step in if needed!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That I agree with Princey the NRL is anything but boring, but you cannot compare SL to the NRL on the other hand SL without jeopardy most definatley is boring, you know without it being spelt out that after half a season 50% of the league would have nothing to play for except avoiding the 'wooden spoon' yipee isn't that exiting.

Why do you think NRL isn't boring without jeopardy, yet Super League is?

Genuine Question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Why do you think NRL isn't boring without jeopardy, yet Super League is?

Genuine Question.

Because we don't have any emotional attachment to the teams , they are essentially all the same , who cares who wins ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Why do you think NRL isn't boring without jeopardy, yet Super League is?

Genuine Question.

A. More teams. (16 v 12) 

B. More teams that can challenge, more competitive parity, more uncertainty of outcome. 

C. Don't play each other way too many times a season. (12 home / 12 away) They don't even do a full double round Robin. 

D. Can afford the best players 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...