Small business idea?

Col81

I am thinking of starting a business selling old rugby shirts going back 30 years. These will be used but in excellent condition. Is there a market for this? What are peoples thoughts? I know of a few very successful businesses doing it with football shirts obviously that has a lot bigger audience. Thanks

I'd also give a bit of thought to the supply side to ensure you can continue in business.

How will you replace your stock, once you've sold your present collection of shirts.

2 hours ago, Col81 said:

I am thinking of starting a business selling old rugby shirts going back 30 years. These will be used but in excellent condition. Is there a market for this? What are peoples thoughts? I know of a few very successful businesses doing it with football shirts obviously that has a lot bigger audience. Thanks

I wear an old Bears jumper, it`s really starting to come apart at the seams, when I  bought it about 20years ago I was actually after an old Magpies jumper, preferably with `Victa` on the front but would have settled for the Magpie emblem though. Some of the old sponsors names over here are almost as iconic as the jumper, Henny Penny -  Newcastle, Smiths - Souths, Penfolds -  St. George, Wormald - Manly etc. etc. Quite amazing how you remember them , probably says something about the power of front of shirt advertising. Any way Good Luck.

11 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I'd also give a bit of thought to the supply side to ensure you can continue in business.

How will you replace your stock, once you've sold your present collection of shirts.

This would be the big thing i would think on this.  Second hand stuff is a great way to go but stock and an ability to make money (as you will, by the nature of the business, be driving up the price of the stock you are buying) is the key question IMHO.

There are already companies that do this with football and rugby shirts. There will be a facility for people to sell ones they dont want on the website. Let's say some has 4 old shirts they dont want I will offer them a price and sell on. Its works well with football. 

1 hour ago, RP London said:

This would be the big thing i would think on this.  Second hand stuff is a great way to go but stock and an ability to make money (as you will, by the nature of the business, be driving up the price of the stock you are buying) is the key question IMHO.

Yes and analogous to the supply of top quality rugby league players on an ongoing basis.

Buy and sell on e bay as a part time hobby supplying income.

My brother in law as a retired University lecturer ( Business studies ) does just that with train sets and matchbox cars. Enjoys it thoroughly.

You will never achieve the volume needed to make it a living

Archived