Watson Leaves Salford (Merged threads)

6 minutes ago, John Boriston said:

I thought when Watson turned down Hull that maybe he’s more comfortable being a just being a big fish in a small pond and going to Huddersfield confirms that.  No disrespect to Huddersfield, but Huddersfield is a risky move as he will have to go one better and win something there, if he is to achieve his ambition of coaching in the NRL.  

Maybe he’s not as astute as we all thought at Salford, or he’s skint.

Heigh ho!

I have no idea what salary Watson would have been on at Salford, if I had to guess I’d say £60k. So if Huddersfield are offering him 90 why would he turn them down. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

The Farts is a strange move for him, his stock surely would mean the big clubs looking at him. 

Giants and Hull are possibly better teams than Wire. Catalan are somewhat erratic.  Im looking forward to the Hull preliminary semi, not least because they might be playing Wigan.

Where ever Watson goes he will now have to prove it.  Giants look a useful coming team.

34 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

V sad for Salford.  That great momentum gutted by Covid.  Really fear for them if they go down. 

Dont worry, there will be no relegation next year....  and of course it is that possibility which bedevils the game. 

34 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Maybe if he does a good job at Huddersfield too, imagine if he could get them to a GF, he’d have his pick of any job. 

As a side note, Huddersfield Barracudas was a much better name than Giants. 

Too many r's and a's...

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

True, but what sort of crowds would a really successful Huddersfield team get, 7,000? If he wants a new job I’m sure Hull would be interested in him and if he got them going they’d be massive. 

Huddersfield are a far better choice than Hull FC. They’ve got a brilliant setup, a flourishing academy and a supportive owner. 

Huddersfield were a decent side under Jon Sharp, then went to the next level under Nathan Brown and then Paul Anderson. They seem to have faded away since the 2015 Play offs. If they are getting Ian Watson it's a real statement of intent by Ken Davy

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Huddersfield are a far better choice than Hull FC. They’ve got a brilliant setup, a flourishing academy and a supportive owner. 

I accept all of that, but (just to be argumentative) it all because of said owner though? Where would they be if he left? Hull would be a big club regardless of who owned them. 

33 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Didn’t Salford make any money by reaching the Grand Final and the Challenge Cup Final In back-to-back years?

It was the worst year ever to reach a Challenge Cup final, which is normally a good money spinner for clubs. I don't think clubs even get a much of a cut from the gate for the Grand Final in the same way and it's mainly prize money.

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I have no idea what salary Watson would have been on at Salford, if I had to guess I’d say £60k. So if Huddersfield are offering him 90 why would he turn them down. 

Ian Watson was part of a successful set-up at Salford with the Community Board, the Rugby director Ian Blease and the backroom team that was built over years, together.   Maybe his head has got a bit too big and he thinks that he can quickly walk into Huddersfield on his own, set-up a new support team and win something next season - a big risk for just £30k and losing the greater prize of coaching in the NRL.

We move on 

4 minutes ago, John Boriston said:

Ian Watson was part of a successful set-up at Salford with the Community Board, the Rugby director Ian Blease and the backroom team that was built over years, together.   Maybe his head has got a bit too big and he thinks that he can quickly walk into Huddersfield on his own, set-up a new support team and win something next season - a big risk for just £30k and losing the greater prize of coaching in the NRL.

We move on 

Not bitter at all? 😂

Not a Salford fan, but still gutted for them that he has left. It can't have been helped by Watson reaffirming his commitment just a few weeks ago.

Equally, it's a tough career being a coach. One bad run at a club and you might never get another gig. If Watson can move on whilst his stock his high and pocket a pay rise, who can blame him?

A big move for Huddersfield if confirmed. They lost a lot of games narrowly this year and Watson could be the man to turn those narrow defeats to wins.

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I accept all of that, but (just to be argumentative) it all because of said owner though? Where would they be if he left? Hull would be a big club regardless of who owned them. 

Certainly the investment he has provided has been the driving force to that. Anyone can speculate about the future but at this moment in time, Huddersfield is a far more attractive proposition than Hull FC

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

It was the worst year ever to reach a Challenge Cup final, which is normally a good money spinner for clubs. I don't think clubs even get a much of a cut from the gate for the Grand Final in the same way and it's mainly prize money.

Yes, I suppose when you put it in those terms then the answer is no.

Must be disappointing for those trying to keep up with the big boys that even getting to big finals doesn’t help too much.

For the sake of the game’s presence in that part of the world, I hope they can find a good replacement.

Like most posters on this thread Ian Watson is a coup for Huddersfield but there are two points that stand out for me.

Given that Ian Watson is Salford through and through the financial situation at the club must be dire. Certainly Salford will struggle to get a replacement of similar calibre able to make a silk purse out of a sows ear so to speak.

Anyone who actually reads my posts on here would know by now that I regard HUll FC as not only one of the big 5 jobs in Rugby League but also a plum coaching job. The fact that it would appear that Ian Watson chose Huddersfield over Hull may in some way reflect the "culture" issues affecting Hull FC on the training paddock and on the field a legacy of the laid back Lee Radford era.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

6 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Like most posters on this thread Ian Watson is a coup for Huddersfield but there are two points that stand out for me.

Given that Ian Watson is Salford through and through the financial situation at the club must be dire. Certainly Salford will struggle to get a replacement of similar calibre able to make a silk purse out of a sows ear so to speak.

Anyone who actually reads my posts on here would know by now that I regard HUll FC as not only one of the big 5 jobs in Rugby League but also a plum coaching job. The fact that it would appear that Ian Watson chose Huddersfield over Hull may in some way reflect the "culture" issues affecting Hull FC on the training paddock and on the field a legacy of the laid back Lee Radford era.

On the financial side I wonder if this might be similar to an Alan Smith Leeds to Man United scenario where the money detail means he basically has to go?

As a Huddersfield fan i would be extremely delighted and surprised if we have managed to get him to our club, for me he's head and shoulders the best coach in the British game due to what he's achieved in the last few years, a real coup for us.

Will be interesting to see if he managed to get Greg Brown back over too, it's no secret that since Brown left for Salford our 2 clubs fortunes have gone opposite ways and our fans have long since said Brown leaving was the biggest reason for our 'demise' in the last 4 or 5 years.

Also, Paul Rowley is an Ex player too so if it's true and he brings his team with him we could see Rowley, Watson and Brown - and hopefully Robbo still - teaming up - that is a mouthwatering prospect, especially if he manages to partner Hasting with Sezer as is also rumoured.

Anyway we will see soon enough what the future holds, one thing that can't be denied is it is a huge, huge loss to the Salford club and i doubt any amount of compensation will replace him.

I feel sad for Salford, but it will be interesting to see what impact he has on Huddersfield.  At Salford he's made the sum better than the parts, which is generally a sign of a good coach.  Maybe he's just had enough of trying to make do and mend with a squad where the best players keep getting picked off by other clubs?

22 minutes ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

Maybe he's just had enough of trying to make do and mend with a squad where the best players keep getting picked off by other clubs?

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived