Watson Leaves Salford (Merged threads)

We don't know what's gone on behind the scenes. A lot of people are making face value judgements before Watson's destination has even been confirmed.

Watson may have been made promises that weren't fulfilled at Salford or the points penalty they were recently given could be a factor.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Maybe if he does a good job at Huddersfield too, imagine if he could get them to a GF, he’d have his pick of any job. 

As a side note, Huddersfield Barracudas was a much better name than Giants. 

The best name for Huddersfield Giants was Sheffield Eagles and that should never have been changed.. but hey ho.. not bitter or nowt 😛

16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Wane?

Now that would be a great measure of how good a coach he really is!

Of all the candidates with experience from the UK, the successful ones, there are very few who've done it with limited resources. And no one with  the same credentials beyond that in Oz who wouldn't expect more dosh.

SRD do it the hard way .....as usual.

I suppose it could be the start of the downward spiral, yet again and that would be a shame for everyone else involved with the club.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Didn't he say he'd stay with Salford

You couldn’t hold it against anyone in the current climate to look for a more secure position. He’s got a choice of Hudds, Hull (and possibly Warrington after Thursday?)... they’re the more financially-stable clubs who tend to give the coach a few years in the job.

9 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Like most posters on this thread Ian Watson is a coup for Huddersfield but there are two points that stand out for me.

Given that Ian Watson is Salford through and through the financial situation at the club must be dire. Certainly Salford will struggle to get a replacement of similar calibre able to make a silk purse out of a sows ear so to speak.

Anyone who actually reads my posts on here would know by now that I regard HUll FC as not only one of the big 5 jobs in Rugby League but also a plum coaching job. The fact that it would appear that Ian Watson chose Huddersfield over Hull may in some way reflect the "culture" issues affecting Hull FC on the training paddock and on the field a legacy of the laid back Lee Radford era.

Isn't the story that he doesn't want to move and move his kids out of school when they're in exam years? 

Geography is against Hull, no matter how good the job is. Can't blame Watson for thinking about his family and his work-life balance.

10 hours ago, John Boriston said:

Ian Watson was part of a successful set-up at Salford with the Community Board, the Rugby director Ian Blease and the backroom team that was built over years, together.   Maybe his head has got a bit too big and he thinks that he can quickly walk into Huddersfield on his own, set-up a new support team and win something next season - a big risk for just £30k and losing the greater prize of coaching in the NRL.

We move on 

Wow thats 2 big assumptions.. 

1 that he will fail... if he is a success his chances of coaching in the NRL will probably rise.. 

2. the intial post you quoted was specualting on the £30k rise.. it could be 50-100k for all we know...

and even if it was "just" £30k I'd say adding £30k a year to your base salary, plus having more money to build a squad and prove that you can do it at another club is probably worth it... 1-2 not so good seasons at Salford and your stock falls quickly, or you could be sacked within a few weeks if it goes very wrong.. thats the other side of the risk and its a big one when you are a selling club

I dont blame coaches for having less loyalty.. after all clubs rarely show it, rather than blame players they often go straight to the coaches door.

47 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Isn't the story that he doesn't want to move and move his kids out of school when they're in exam years? 

Geography is against Hull, no matter how good the job is. Can't blame Watson for thinking about his family and his work-life balance.

Despite the roller coaster ride that Hull have delivered over the last few years, this is the crux of the matter - M62 and schooling as you rightly point out.

Family comes 1st and if he isn’t going to relocate then Hull is out.  The cross Pennines motorway has become a national disgrace which will not improve in the near future.  

19 minutes ago, RP London said:

Wow thats 2 big assumptions.. 

1 that he will fail... if he is a success his chances of coaching in the NRL will probably rise.. 

2. the intial post you quoted was specualting on the £30k rise.. it could be 50-100k for all we know...

and even if it was "just" £30k I'd say adding £30k a year to your base salary, plus having more money to build a squad and prove that you can do it at another club is probably worth it... 1-2 not so good seasons at Salford and your stock falls quickly, or you could be sacked within a few weeks if it goes very wrong.. thats the other side of the risk and its a big one when you are a selling club

I dont blame coaches for having less loyalty.. after all clubs rarely show it, rather than blame players they often go straight to the coaches door.

Yes. All salaries quoted on this thread are entirely made-up. By pot-luck they could be right but it's far more likely that they are not.

(That said, in the middle of a pandemic and seeing how sports finances are going, if I was offered a 50% pay rise, I'd be a fool not to take it.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I don't even want to talk about the possibility of booing Watto.

The real discussion will always be what will happen at Salford now?

Watson has a contract almost certainly on more money so he'll be fine.

I do feel for Luke Robinson though.

12 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't disagree but Huddersfield is like a better Salford in terms of better budget but the same low amount of pressure.

And a chairman who doesn't interfere in playing matters as well as demonstrating patience.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. All salaries quoted on this thread are entirely made-up. By pot-luck they could be right but it's far more likely that they are not.

(That said, in the middle of a pandemic and seeing how sports finances are going, if I was offered a 50% pay rise, I'd be a fool not to take it.)

5% and i'd be taking a serious look... especially as its not like a normal job where get over the 2 year mark and you have some sort of stability!)

• John Drake changed the title to Watson Leaves Salford (Merged threads)
5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

indeed it would. it seems to me that each time Salford get some momentum, something happens to absorb it and they have to start again. if only they could achieve some off-the-field stability.

I'd argue that Salford are pretty stable, in that they have a good deal on a modern stadium and a smart, professional board of directors. They simply just don't have enough fans - or potential fans - to generate the money to kick on to the next level. They will remain a "selling club". 

Even when they had some recent success, or money was being put in, the gains in support haven't been transformative.

We can debate why, but the upside seems limited for Salford compared to other clubs who you could imagine benefiting from a similar set of circumstances, perhaps that's why Watto has decided to move on. 

I think huddersfield are the perfect club for Watson. They have the financial resources to give them a side capable of winning both major trophies. For Watson that must be a great attraction as it will make him the 'first' and the 'best'. 

I am sure a gig at one of the more perceived bigger clubs with a more successful history would employ him . However if he did that , expectations would be higher and achieving top honours would be a massive expectation and only considered the norm. He would not be seen as the best, but only as good as a few others who have gone before.

Good move to make and I wish the guy all the best, I think he is a great coach.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

I don't even want to talk about the possibility of booing Watto.

The real discussion will always be what will happen at Salford now?

Watson has a contract almost certainly on more money so he'll be fine.

I do feel for Luke Robinson though.

Luke Robinson to the Red Devils?

13 hours ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

Seen it coming with Rowley the weasel in the background. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Rowley went with him, people seem to forget that the arrival of Rowley coincided with a very much more expansive and improved Salford team, I think that a big sum of the parts that goes into the success of Ian Watson is Paul Rowley.

17 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Luke Robinson to the Red Devils?

Luke is great but very untried and new at head coach stuff and, although he would have the club's team with him, it may be seen as too much of a risk. Unless he's cheap as chips, of course!

16 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Maybe he knows something about the clubs future than has yet to come to light. Just saying

It could be a case that for the opportunity for him and the money for Salford it was a no brainer.

Archived