Watson Leaves Salford (Merged threads)

36 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Probably right 🙂

We expect this sort of thing at Salford, although it is usually players. Don't know how any can say Salford lack consistency when Watson has been there 5 years though.

Monday he says he is staying and seeing out the contract, by Sunday he has a deal in place with someone else. It seems odd Blease only found out on Sunday I can only assume he means the decision and not of the approach.

I'm sorry Oxford, but I find myself being drawn irresistibly, down this way.

Something doesn't feel right about it and it smells fishy.

If Ian Blease didn't know, it would suggest Watson's been tempted away by the money.

If that's not true, then perhaps Blease's head has been turned by the sudden availability of a bigger fish. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Isn't the story that he doesn't want to move and move his kids out of school when they're in exam years? 

Geography is against Hull, no matter how good the job is. Can't blame Watson for thinking about his family and his work-life balance.

Good luck to Watson, who seems a good coach.

Living in Huddersfield, if work-life balance is important I'd advise him to steer well clear of commuting by Trans Pennine Express or Northern Rail. Any gridlocked-M62 drive will still be better, quicker and cheaper than travelling by train.

1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

Probably right 🙂

We expect this sort of thing at Salford, although it is usually players. Don't know how any can say Salford lack consistency when Watson has been there 5 years though.

Monday he says he is staying and seeing out the contract, by Sunday he has a deal in place with someone else. It seems odd Blease only found out on Sunday I can only assume he means the decision and not of the approach.

RL is a game where nothing is fact and everything taken with a pinch of salt.

It is a big let down and I think stability would be the problem rather than consistency.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

36 minutes ago, Superb Chops said:

Good luck to Watson, who seems a good coach.

Living in Huddersfield, if work-life balance is important I'd advise him to steer well clear of commuting by Trans Pennine Express or Northern Rail. Any gridlocked-M62 drive will still be better, quicker and cheaper than travelling by train.

I’d like to see you drive from Hudds to Manc in 30 minutes dead without breaking the law!

26 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Seen Sky's short list of names

Danny Orr

Paul Rowley

James Ford

Brian McDermott

Richard Marshall

Stu Littler

Andrew Henderson

Danny Ward

And the God I hope not list (been there and no thanks)

Tim Sheens

Bobbie Goulding

The smart move for Salford would be Danny Ward or James Ford. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

All things being equal this seems to be a sideways move for Watson

I thought his next gig may have been the likes of Wigan or Warrington as a progression move

Devil is in the detail obviously

I don't think it is sideways, its a small step up, but a step up nontheless.

Huddersfield, alongside Castleford, are a side that have won the LLS demonstrating the ability to compete consistently at the top and are comfortably in Super League, but have been thus far unable to really crack the top honours or even reach the finals. Unlike Cas, they have the budget and facilities to support a coach like Watson in what he wants to do. Unlike Hull, the backroom operation seems solid and supportive with a sense of realistic expectations and has far less pressure. If he can get Huddersfield to a final or two in the next 5 years, he'll have done a good job and arguably progressed beyond Powell at Cas who was in the same vaunted position in the coaching ranks until recently.

Huddersfield are a step up from the insecurity and shoestring operation at Salford. In these covid times I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing a more secure footing. A sideways step would have been Hull KR or Wakefield.

2 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

I think both men have bigger clubs on there radars for the future than Salford

True, Salford very suddenly look like a Championship club in Super League without the super coach getting the most out of a very small budget. Without a personal connection to the club its got the potential to be a really thankless task.

50 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

I think both men have bigger clubs on there radars for the future than Salford

Smart move for Salford, not necessarily the coaches. I know one of them isnt over enamored by the opportunity but sometimes you need to take the opportunity. There aren't many SL jobs and historically few opportunities for Championship coaches to move up.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 hours ago, Red Willow said:

I may have to stop watching Salford if McDermott is appointed. 🙂 Really dislike the way he operates.

Everyone is to blame, he constantly moans, complains about players  in press conferences.

Would rather have someone like Danny Ward.

I think you're confusing brutal honesty for moaning.

McDermott treats the idiots in the media just like most of the people here would want him to. Moaning? I've watched hours and hours of his press conferences and I've never really seen that.

2 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Seen Sky's short list of names

Danny Orr

Paul Rowley

James Ford

Brian McDermott

Richard Marshall

Stu Littler

Andrew Henderson

Danny Ward

And the God I hope not list (been there and no thanks)

Tim Sheens

Bobbie Goulding

Yeah. I saw this just and thought someone's having a laugh.

The first set are all reasonable  though. Didn't Bleasy say there was interest from abroad too? I'd love to know who that was!

Huddersfield is a great choice for him, good squad, competitive with a superb group of young players coming through, not far from home, v good stadium, great training facilities, money at the top of the club giving stability. 

I think we shouldn’t underestimate the value of stability in this, Watsons seen his team torn apart twice in two years with a third happening now as SL teams again look to be raiding Salford’s playing ranks. Watson will also be looking at the financial stability of Huddersfield in contrast to that of Salford over his time there since 2014. With that in mind he’ll be sorely disappointed with the deduction of 3 wins due to the Salford BoD not meeting their financial requirements. 

Huddersfield have lost around six matches by less than one score with three of those being by 1 or 2 points. He must feel, if he was their coach, he can bridge that gap and that would put The Giants close to the top of the League table and genuine contenders. 

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I'm sorry Oxford, but I find myself being drawn irresistibly, down this way.

Something doesn't feel right about it and it smells fishy.

If Ian Blease didn't know, it would suggest Watson's been tempted away by the money.

If that's not true, then perhaps Blease's head has been turned by the sudden availability of a bigger fish. 

Well Fighting, when you let yourself be taken down the rabbit hole .......

It seems most likely Watto went for the dosh, going as he has done doesn't sit well, but he has a lot of credit in the SRD bank.

Beyond that it'll be conjecture, guesswork, water divining and hocus pocus, so perfect for Alice and you! 💥😉

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

I accept all of that, but (just to be argumentative) it all because of said owner though? Where would they be if he left? Hull would be a big club regardless of who owned them. 

Ken Davy will never leave and even when he retires or passes on his Granddaughter Rebecca will take over and she loves the Giants as much as Ken does!

15 minutes ago, derk said:

saints would be a good home for him after their present coaches poor choices of when to rest players

You could argue that in terms of looking at winning games a lot of teams have done it, mine included. However, we go into the next pre-season without any surgery needed so maybe in is good management in difficult circumstances. 

Baffled to see criticism in some quarters of Watson for 'moving for the money'. Given the precarious nature of a head coach job, the limited full time positions within the sport and the financial cliff edge the game is on, nobody can seriously criticise any coach for moving to the highest bidder.

mcnamaras gig as an assistant coach at the roosters in the nrl didnt seem to do him any harm- if coaches want to get to the top am sure someone like watson could do worse than tout his talents as an assistant in the nrl

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

It really doesn't matter where he's gone or where he will go in the future the word is Gone. So SRD is no longer his home club.

The SRD fans will do what they do every season regroup and wait for the next thing, in this case a quality coach, to Brighten Their Northern Sky!

4 hours ago, M j M said:

I think you're confusing brutal honesty for moaning.

McDermott treats the It is personal choiceidiots in the media just like most of the people here would want him to. Moaning? I've watched hours and hours of his press conferences and I've never really seen that.

It is personal choice, you see him as honest I see him deflecting blame, look at the Toronto interview, all the blame on RFL/SL not where much of it belongs with Argyle and spending beyond their means prior to Covid.

He is far too prickly and arrogant for me. As I say it is a personal thing and I don't see him as a good fit for a community club like Salford.

Archived