Watson Leaves Salford (Merged threads)

2 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

It is personal choice, you see him as honest I see him deflecting blame, look at the Toronto interview, all the blame on RFL/SL not where much of it belongs with Argyle and spending beyond their means prior to Covid.

He is far too prickly and arrogant for me. As I say it is a personal thing and I don't see him as a good fit for a community club like Salford.

We have a hockey coach like that over here, John Torterrella, he has moved around a lot over his career, and I think his attitude is part of the reason. Apart from the time Brian Mc has spent at Leeds, his future may also be someone who comes in for 2-3 years before moving on, would that be a good or bad fit for Salford?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Oxford said:

Yeah. I saw this just and thought someone's having a laugh.

The first set are all reasonable  though. Didn't Bleasy say there was interest from abroad too? I'd love to know who that was!

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

It really doesn't matter where he's gone or where he will go in the future the word is Gone. So SRD is no longer his home club.

The SRD fans will do what they do every season regroup and wait for the next thing, in this case a quality coach, to Brighten Their Northern Sky!

I'm guessing there may not be too much  money for a ' quality  '  recognised/experienced coach. Dunno if the Under 20's Cronulla coach,Daniel Holdsworth would fancy a head coach job in England,at this time.

Another former half back playing head coach may be preferable to a former hooker/dummy half like Brian ' unfinished business ' Noble or Rowley.

I don't think Ian Watson was considered a quality/recognised/experienced head coach when he was appointed.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

51 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I'm guessing there may not be too much  money for a ' quality  '  recognised/experienced coach. Dunno if the Under 20's Cronulla coach,Daniel Holdsworth would fancy a head coach job in England,at this time.

Another former half back playing head coach may be preferable to a former hooker/dummy half like Brian ' unfinished business ' Noble or Rowley.

I don't think Ian Watson was considered a quality/recognised/experienced head coach when he was appointed.

Honestly have no idea about money but the interest has come uninvited in that sense though when they see the salary that  may wain a bit.

Nobby I can't see that at all;

Rowley must be a possibility but I  would also understand if he didn't want to go through all that again.

Most of the Sky article suggestions were fine.

The more worrying aspect will always be prepariations for next season.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

THE KING IS DEAD etc!

The Serious About RL assessment of candidates was sensible and logical. I think their point about quality allied with being used to working within a budget is well made.

Ian Blease appears thoughtful in his approach to most things.

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant signing for us, well done Ken and Richard for pulling this off!.

Interesting to hear his reasons for leaving Salford and joining us, it almost came across as a thinly veiled criticism of the Salford club and a dig at the way the club has been run financially and he sounded very frustrated and as if he'd got fed up with the club not matching his ambitions while praising us as a club, there's certain areas where as a club we are way in front of Salford, people saying he had no ambition by coming to us have probably realisd he did but Salford didn't.

And he's bringing Greg Brown back which is a big a signing as any player we could have !!

Bring on 2021

28 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Brilliant signing for us, well done Ken and Richard for pulling this off!.

Interesting to hear his reasons for leaving Salford and joining us, it almost came across as a thinly veiled criticism of the Salford club and a dig at the way the club has been run financially and he sounded very frustrated and as if he'd got fed up with the club not matching his ambitions while praising us as a club, there's certain areas where as a club we are way in front of Salford, people saying he had no ambition by coming to us have probably realisd he did but Salford didn't.

And he's bringing Greg Brown back which is a big a signing as any player we could have !!

Bring on 2021

Well its left a sour taste with the Salford faithful - Its down to one thing only and thats financial independence for Ian Watson,

Cant blame him really,

He has reached a level and listening to him he has identified what Salford need to go to the next level and they ard unable to provide this.

Unfortunatly this probably also identifies that Salford shouldnt be in SL and are one of the clinger on clubs that are holding the game back.

From what he said they needed:

Plan A;

No money to buy players

No fans to raise money to buy players

Plan B

No academy

So hes off.

I think this has always been an interesting story. It's ultimately been more difficult than the usual coaching change for SRD fans simply because he's represented the one truly stable piece of the jigsaw. The turbulence of the revolving door at Salford helps no one particularly the fans.

Having said that, they're coping with it amazingly well.

Mind you with some of the descriptions and characterisations on this forum it's a wonder they have anyone left who's interested in staying.

This is what the club needs more of

Sarginson said: “We’re building something special here, so it was an easy choice to sign for a few more years. “The extensions of Lee (Mossop) and (Luke) Yatesy were massive for us and hopefully with us now tied in, it helps draw in other players. “This year’s been about me giving my best for the boys every week, but now going into my second year, I’ll look to have even more of an influence and build on that role.”  From Serious About RL

This and an exciting new coach of course.

11 hours ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Well its left a sour taste with the Salford faithful - Its down to one thing only and thats financial independence for Ian Watson,

Sour from Watson himself or the Salford club? if it's Watson then i don't see how really if he's told the club what is needed and they cant't or won't provide it, as a coach he has worked wonders at Salford on literally no money and no players and if the club won't match his ambition who can blame him really, Ken Davy and the Giants are ambitious with a fantastic academy set-up, that alone must have been a mouthwatering prospect for him.

If it's the club then you would have imagined they would have at least tried to appease him and give him what he needed to carry on doing the job, listening to him talk it sounded very much like they hadn't and he'd had enough there.

Salford's loss is definitely Huddersfield's gain - or is it? it remains to be seen but the whole saga is very interesting.

3 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Sour from Watson himself or the Salford club?

I can tell you it's neither.

Everyone was shocked because he left having just talked up next season. But I've seen more or less nothing but good wishes from everyone involved. And if he feels he can't take the club any further he's simply not the right coach for SRD.

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

But I've seen more or less nothing but good wishes from everyone involved.

I've been made out to be Totally wrong on this as it seems after Watson spoke on the subject everything changed.

But at least he didn'tgo to yawn or the thread would've disappeared!

What leaves the bad taste is to pledge yourself to a club for the next year then almost the next day walk away. Had he made a statement saying the Hull move wasn't right for him at this stage and left it at that most fans wouldn't feel so cheated.

Salford as a club can't do right in the eyes of some on this board, they spend more than they can afford and run up a debt they can't pay and some call for them to be relegated. They live within their means and balance the books and people say they should be kicked out of SL.

As a fan I would rather we balance the books and develop an academy slowly without living beyond the means. I hope we can attract more sponsors, ideally get some of the money from refreshment sales in the stadium etc. 

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 21:54, Oxford said:

Honestly have no idea about money but the interest has come uninvited in that sense though when they see the salary that  may wain a bit.

Nobby I can't see that at all;

Rowley must be a possibility but I  would also understand if he didn't want to go through all that again.

Most of the Sky article suggestions were fine.

The more worrying aspect will always be prepariations for next season.

I actually think Richard Marshall may go for this opportunity at Salford. He's already had a Head coaches job with Fax and did a pretty good job and he seems to be really well respected at Saints since taking over from Longy as Assistant.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

What I find more than amusing is what he would have said to the likes of Callum Watkins to attract him to the club. The type of stuff a top player (he still is even if not at the level he was prior to injury) would want to hear I guess, the ambition of the club, the potential of the squad, where he thinks they can step up to, the vision, his excitement at working within the club and with him as a player, etc etc etc... all that he would think sincere stuff - Then he dumps them...

No problem how he wants to further his career, but I do wonder what he would have said to keep and attract certain players...  I assume players realise its all duff "sincere" stuff,,,

7 minutes ago, redjonn said:

What I find more than amusing is what he would have said to the likes of Callum Watkins to attract him to the club. The type of stuff a top player (he still is even if not at the level he was prior to injury) would want to hear I guess, the ambition of the club, the potential of the squad, where he thinks they can step up to, the vision, his excitement at working within the club and with him as a player, etc etc etc... all that he would think sincere stuff - Then he dumps them...

No problem how he wants to further his career, but I do wonder what he would have said to keep and attract certain players...  I assume players realise its all duff "sincere" stuff,,,

He'll have offered him a job. Which sadly as a result of the Toronto debacle and Kallums own decision to return from Oz was as good an offer as he needed.

18 hours ago, yipyee said:

Cant blame him really,

He has reached a level and listening to him he has identified what Salford need to go to the next level and they ard unable to provide this.

Unfortunatly this probably also identifies that Salford shouldnt be in SL and are one of the clinger on clubs that are holding the game back.

From what he said they needed:

Plan A;

No money to buy players

No fans to raise money to buy players

Plan B

No academy

So hes off.

Salford would have gone nowhere fast last season but for Hastings being a good and considerate bloke and giving it a go for the season.  Well done for getting to the Cup Final; thanks Warrington.

Like the rest of us they need investment, but the hint is that SL is going to turn its back on PE.  So Salford will hope to hang on.

But beyond all that, Warson has a job to do now at The Giants...so let's see him do it.

52 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

What leaves the bad taste is to pledge yourself to a club for the next year then almost the next day walk away. Had he made a statement saying the Hull move wasn't right for him at this stage and left it at that most fans wouldn't feel so cheated.

Salford as a club can't do right in the eyes of some on this board, they spend more than they can afford and run up a debt they can't pay and some call for them to be relegated. They live within their means and balance the books and people say they should be kicked out of SL.

As a fan I would rather we balance the books and develop an academy slowly without living beyond the means. I hope we can attract more sponsors, ideally get some of the money from refreshment sales in the stadium etc. 

Yes.  Hence the need to abolish relegation.

41 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I actually think Richard Marshall may go for this opportunity at Salford. He's already had a Head coaches job with Fax and did a pretty good job and he seems to be really well respected at Saints since taking over from Longy as Assistant.

I think he'd be an excellent choice too!

1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

For some people getting at others is why forums were invented. "It's not personal, just social media!" And we'll all be lonely tonight and lonely tomorrow!

Stay well Red Willow and keep the word of Dan Sarginson in your 'ed

"We're building something special here, so it was an easy choice to sign for a few more years,"

In your 'ed sunshine in your 'ed!

Archived