Watson Leaves Salford (Merged threads)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Oxford said:

Marshall?

I did say that on here 2 weeks ago. He's too good a coach to just be an assistant (all be it an assistant who's won back to back SL titles). At Fax he's shown what he can do on a limited budget and a squad made up of a lot players discarded by other clubs.

Marshall is very much in the same mould as Watson.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

I did say that on here 2 weeks ago. He's too good a coach to just be an assistant (all be it an assistant who's won back to back SL titles). At Fax he's shown what he can do on a limited budget and a squad made up of a lot players discarded by other clubs.

Marshall is very much in the same mould as Watson.

Could be seen as a sideways move by "some" but I don't think so, given he's ready prepared for a lack of huge budget plus having been at Saints.

If the candidates list was accurate SRD are attracting quality these days, and it's not on the screen saver.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

14 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I wish Watson all the best, he turned a mediocre Salford XIII into a mediocre Salford Team. I wish him all the best at a very mediocre Huddersfield. I wish his successor the very best of luck, because they will need it.

Bleep we, and by that I mean image.png.2b586aa0a6226e40e0f04209aeb9ab79.png , don't need luck we just need continued hard work and lots of practice at our game plan!

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

Bleep we, and by that I mean image.png.2b586aa0a6226e40e0f04209aeb9ab79.png , don't need luck we just need continued hard work and lots of practice at our game plan!

OK. You might need luck though in finding as good as someone, and as dedicated as Watson to be the new coach. Ah, Australia here you go, again.

5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

OK. You might need luck though in finding as good as someone, and as dedicated as Watson to be the new coach. Ah, Australia here you go, again.

I would've agreed with you about dedicated till not so very long ago. Well 1 of the three candidates is an Aussie so you have a 33% chance of being correct!

I came back to this thread because it's an ongoing story.

This may only be rumours and fans feeling a bit on edge.

The stories are emerging that the Giants are making bids for Tui and Yates.

It's not that I'm angry with Watto for signing them, nor that this would weaken our team whilst strengthening theirs , that's just part of how it works.

But it struck me that if SRD do badly because it will appear that it was only and solely because of Ian that we did compete and do quite well, and that would be a bit sad. It would be a shame for all the effort made by everyone that contributed to those things.

I know it way it goes but that doesn't mean we have to accept it totally.

19 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I came back to this thread because it's an ongoing story.

This may only be rumours and fans feeling a bit on edge.

The stories are emerging that the Giants are making bids for Tui and Yates.

It's not that I'm angry with Watto for signing them, nor that this would weaken our team whilst strengthening theirs , that's just part of how it works.

But it struck me that if SRD do badly because it will appear that it was only and solely because of Ian that we did compete and do quite well, and that would be a bit sad. It would be a shame for all the effort made by everyone that contributed to those things.

I know it way it goes but that doesn't mean we have to accept it totally.

Coaches even these days when it seems like they all read the same book "A guide to game plans and tactics" have favourite player's who they are comfortable with to carry out their instructions on the field, they will strive to take some player's with them along with other *backroom staff, I remember only to well all that time 49 years ago Alex Murphy leaving Leigh for Warrington he took half off the Leigh team with him. 

I see that the conditioner Greg Brown is following Watson.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Coaches even these days when it seems like they all read the same book "A guide to game plans and tactics" have favourite player's who they are comfortable with to carry out their instructions on the field, they will strive to take some player's with them along with other *backroom staff, I remember only to well all that time 49 years ago Alex Murphy leaving Leigh for Warrington he took half off the Leigh team with him. 

I see that the conditioner Greg Brown is following Watson.

Yes it's just normal but the point was only what occurred to me.

I'm afraid it may be another complete loss of spine and rebuild yet again  which will make it more than difficult just to maintain what has happened so far.

Bye Harry stay safe.

On 30/11/2020 at 17:07, Bleep1673 said:

Australia? we've had 5 British coaches in a row!

On 30/11/2020 at 17:07, Bleep1673 said:

All off the top of my head, so no guarantees, but...

of the eleven clubs we know will be in Super League next season (ten if you allow for Salford being minutes away from financial meltdown / about to be kicked out of the stadium / insert your favourite fantasy Salfageddon scenario here), seven of them have British coaches. Of the remaining four, only three are Australian, and one of those three has never coached (at club level) outside of Great Britain, and has, I think, taken British nationality(citation needed)

Of the clubs in with a shout of taking that twelfth place, only one has an Australian coach.

So, what you talkin' 'bout?

Archived