Jackson Hasting signs contract with...

Futtocks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I think he's young enough to do a one-year deal over here and still make it in the NRL before his prime.

They said that about Widdop coming to SL but looks like he was good enough to be a top player in the NRL but not upto SL.

31 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Wigan. Sorry to break the news, folks.

He has settled in despite the fractured season.  He's got better.  Its good for all concerned that they can be settled. He seems solid, sensible, good bloke. 

The team is fitting in well.  In an ideal world he would stay for a couple more seasons.  The current Wigan team looks as if it could hang in for a couple of seasons together and it ought to take a good team or performace to beat them, and good to them if they do.  ( Edit... PS, obviously all bets are off if its monsoon conditions!)

Quite a bit of speed (and thats before Field arrives) in the backs and a big pack. So this confirmation encourages Wigan to settle in.

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Thats a frightening squad at Wigan for next year but there’s got to be a couple of departures that haven’t yet been announced? 

A number are already announced (?) Flower leaving and Burgess is going to Salford.

Tommy may retire, maybe not and O'Loughlin probably retire.   Will there be a Reserve competition next season?

I see Saints are bringing in a regulation Aussie.

9 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

They said that about Widdop coming to SL but looks like he was good enough to be a top player in the NRL but not upto SL.

Yeah, but Widdop has other issues going on, and having already proved himself in the NRL when younger, it's a different scenario.

It's nice that in a time of crisis not all the decent antipodeans are jumping ship. Next year we'll still have the likes of Hastings, Austin and Coote. I don't think we could argue much if they'd have bolted to sunnier climes to get away from COVID.

3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

A number are already announced (?) Flower leaving and Burgess is going to Salford.

Tommy may retire, maybe not and O'Loughlin probably retire.   Will there be a Reserve competition next season?

I see Saints are bringing in a regulation Aussie.

That’s what I meant, regarding Leuluai and SOL, amongst others.

3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

You need to be careful about comments like that. I know nothing about the future, but saying things like that come back to bite people.

Far too over sensitive Rupert,.

It's a forum. 

People including RL players trade their current worth , as do their agents.

Give me a clue as to George's starting ability on form within the current Wigan start upline.,,,,,,,

Great news. He's a key player for us and it felt like if we did lose him there wasn't really anyone of the same calibre available elsewhere. At one point it looked like we were potentially going to lose both Hastings and French so to keep them both is a massive boost.

Not sure how this will affect things in terms of departing players. Either confirmed or expected to leave are O'Loughlin, Flower, Burgess and Wells. Navarrete will probably go too. Potentially Leuluai will retire although he's still playing very well right now. Maybe there's more to leave as the lack of reserves will probably see the club run with a smaller squad.

Next season will be Tommy Leuluai's last. SOL will retire end of this season. Flower is leaving, as is Burgess as maybe Gildart.  I can see Hastings and Smith being the regular halves with TL being the bench half back.

Although Field is listed as a 1 or 7 with his pace he perhaps will start on the wing. Wigan will start next season with plenty halves but short on wingers. Manfredi may be fit, may have left, Marshall is injured and Burgess will be at Salford. As a Wigan fan I'd love to see a back line in 2021 of - French, Marshall, Hardaker, Gildart/Bibby, Field, Hastings, Smith. That has quality and pace all over and should be great to watch.

15 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

There is something seriously wrong with the coaching setup if Smith loses out to Field.

Times on his side.  Another season of bench, FB roles and claim a spot of his own.

Hastings staying was on the cards with his influence on Fields import.

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Times on his side.  Another season of bench, FB roles and claim a spot of his own.

Hastings staying was on the cards with his influence on Fields import.

Sorry but that’s rubbish,Smith has been held back long enough,is it any wonder we struggle to produce great halfbacks when our best young players lose out to never has been imports.

20 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Sorry but that’s rubbish,Smith has been held back long enough,is it any wonder we struggle to produce great halfbacks when our best young players lose out to never has been imports.

And with no Reserves again next season his game time will be very limited. A season out on loan is the best option for him to develop rather than become another player who never fulfilled his potential 

27 minutes ago, LeeF said:

And with no Reserves again next season his game time will be very limited. A season out on loan is the best option for him to develop rather than become another player who never fulfilled his potential 

But that’s it Lee he is starting to fulfill his potential when picked this year,he’s an outstanding talent who needs to be Wigan’s starting 7 next year alongside Hastings rather than a average utility player who was way off the pace at both St George & Parra

Just now, Davo5 said:

But that’s it Lee he is starting to fulfill his potential when picked this year,he’s an outstanding talent who needs to be Wigan’s starting 7 next year alongside Hastings rather than a average utility player who was way off the pace at both St George & Parra

I don’t disagree but they haven’t flown someone who is primarily a 7 halfway round the world to not play him

2 minutes ago, LeeF said:

I don’t disagree but they haven’t flown someone who is primarily a 7 halfway round the world to not play him

They did with Burgess this year !!! but seriously Smith is twice the half Field will ever be and if Lam can’t see that then maybe he shouldn’t be coaching,don’t forget French was brought over to play 6,that didn’t last long,maybe they can stick Field on the wing if Marshall isn’t fit.

Archived