even CNN seem to have heard of rugby league in England.

1 hour ago, AWRL130 said:

I agree, there is a hands off approach but I'm not yet sure if they are retreating from expansion or taking a different approach that would counter the issue you have highlighted.

you cant retreat from something you have never been anywhere near.. 

Its the same with toronto.. fine while they were putting their own money in but didnt want anything to do with them if they had to give them some money (they wouldnt have got up to Super League without accepting no funding etc). 

Its the same old same old and unless they start helping out these expansion efforts it will always be the same... Magic in Newcastle is helping (or was).. London investment in DOs in the early 2000s was helping until the plug got pulled.. There is proof that help does infact help but they keep reverting back to letting them struggle along on their own and just hoping it works.. and that is not the way to do this, never has been and never will be.. and they have not retreated there, they have never left there.

9 minutes ago, RP London said:

think you may be on to something there.

I am also available for corporate & political events, weddings, barbecues and Barmitzvahs !

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, RP London said:

Its the same with toronto.. fine while they were putting their own money in but didnt want anything to do with them if they had to give them some money (they wouldnt have got up to Super League without accepting no funding etc). 

I don't disagree but I think my point may have been missed. If the original post is relating media with the recent Toronto vote, my issue with this is that it promotes Toronto (and perhaps other expansion clubs) as a solution to the lack of media coverage. For reasons I've given, when assessed, Toronto may not have been that solution. 

If we keep promoting Toronto unnecessarily as a solution to something, then it puts pressure on them to come up with results. If they don't, it makes it easy to argue against Toronto or expansion. There may well be issues that Toronto can resolve but it is neccarsary to back it up. The approach I prefer is to say you want expansion. It would be much easier to make a case for expansion through public opinion rather than having to prove expansion's impact on media. 

Just now, paul hicks said:

yep anything else will be a clear case of both bias and fraud .

grand final hull v Leeds and of course with Leeds finishing 5th there bound to win in a fair match .

Mate I just saw it as us play Wakefield, then Catalans away in the play offs, Wigan win the League leaders and we finish 5th. Engrave the trophy now 

10 hours ago, paul hicks said:

Gateshead thunder and Celtic crusaders are two that spring to mind . 

oh and Paris of course

Thanks Paul this was already answered and as I said sadly just more proof that SL and the RFL have never been serious about expansion except they thought the idea sounded nice.

We can prove this by asking the RFL which criteria and conditions have proved most successful in grassroots expansion in other countries and what contributed to it not doing so well in other places.

As far as CNN or anyone else are concerned it's not the mention we need it's the growth which could be done at SL level as well as grassroots. The problem with grassroots initiatives is that they come to nothing nearly as often as Super League ones.

And far too many people think of the sport as small, and love to keep it that way for a whole host of reasons.

• Warning Points 2

17 hours ago, AWRL130 said:

I don't disagree but I think my point may have been missed. If the original post is relating media with the recent Toronto vote, my issue with this is that it promotes Toronto (and perhaps other expansion clubs) as a solution to the lack of media coverage. For reasons I've given, when assessed, Toronto may not have been that solution. 

If we keep promoting Toronto unnecessarily as a solution to something, then it puts pressure on them to come up with results. If they don't, it makes it easy to argue against Toronto or expansion. There may well be issues that Toronto can resolve but it is neccarsary to back it up. The approach I prefer is to say you want expansion. It would be much easier to make a case for expansion through public opinion rather than having to prove expansion's impact on media. 

ah right i get you, aplogies.. yes i see what you are saying now and broadly agree

On 13/11/2020 at 09:54, Oxford said:

Thanks Paul this was already answered and as I said sadly just more proof that SL and the RFL have never been serious about expansion except they thought the idea sounded nice.

We can prove this by asking the RFL which criteria and conditions have proved most successful in grassroots expansion in other countries and what contributed to it not doing so well in other places.

As far as CNN or anyone else are concerned it's not the mention we need it's the growth which could be done at SL level as well as grassroots. The problem with grassroots initiatives is that they come to nothing nearly as often as Super League ones.

And far too many people think of the sport as small, and love to keep it that way for a whole host of reasons.

• Warning Points 2

agreed  oxford . with of course the reminder that expansion to London and Newcastle has brought a grassroots growth that some heartlands areas can only dream about . the more surprising one I would mention is south wales which has growth despite any real investment  in recent times other than from west wales .with no support to mention from higher up

13 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

agreed  oxford . with of course the reminder that expansion to London and Newcastle has brought a grassroots growth that some heartlands areas can only dream about . the more surprising one I would mention is south wales which has growth despite any real investment  in recent times other than from west wales .with no support to mention from higher up

Hello Paul

only one little thing which I've said elsewhere .... London needs to stop being seen as expansion.

And South Wales is very surprising isn't it?

On 17/11/2020 at 22:05, Oxford said:

Hello Paul

only one little thing which I've said elsewhere .... London needs to stop being seen as expansion.

And South Wales is very surprising isn't it?

i actually think  in wales its been done very well despite a lack of money with the west wales club expanding the junior game down there.  

I certainly would not be surprised if they ended up big improvers over the next 3 or 4 years a little how Gateshead changed from  a basket case to been big improvers although of course west wales don't at present have the same financial backing but unlike a lot of clubs they dont have any debt 

3 hours ago, paul hicks said:

i actually think  in wales its been done very well despite a lack of money with the west wales club expanding the junior game down there.  

I certainly would not be surprised if they ended up big improvers over the next 3 or 4 years a little how Gateshead changed from  a basket case to been big improvers although of course west wales don't at present have the same financial backing but unlike a lot of clubs they dont have any debt 

Good stuff that Paul spot on! And I really hope you're correct about Wales.

Archived