Promotion Criteria Publicised

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The last I saw was the proposal to make 2021's the same as 2020's. Didn't see the outcome though

Edit: found this https://www.totalrl.com/rfl-to-reveal-distribution-policy-to-clubs/

Clubs have been discussing how the money should be split after the seasons were declared null and void and alternative options were put on the table, including a straight split of the funding.

However, it appears the distribution will be split based on 2019 league standings.

That is correct. However the actual figures are still not known.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

In that case , natural selection will get rid of the smaller clubs , will that be a net gain to RL in this country ?

It depends upon how many of those smaller clubs are "got rid of" and whether you assume that their fans would move to another team. I believe that the majority wouldn't.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

It depends upon how many of those smaller clubs are "got rid of" and whether you assume that their fans would move to another team. I believe that the majority wouldn't.

Johnny , to me the loss of any club would be a loss to the game 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Johnny , to me the loss of any club would be a loss to the game 

Yep, no question.

39 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I agree but would new younger people in the Wigan/Leigh district get drawn to Wigan in the same way that people in outlying Bradford areas started following the Bulls circa 1996-2008?

42 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If the natural selection is to other rugby league clubs, yes, if its to anything else, no.

But it most probably will not be to another RL club, they could well be lost to the game forever Tommy, and unlike your family maybe their offspring may never even get an introduction to it, you keep mentioning and shoehorning Leeds United into these conversations as though they are a big attraction which they very well maybe, so just imagine that multiplied by 4 and individually in greater numbers by the attraction of the round ball game this side of the pennines in United, City, Liverpool and Everton

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But it most probably will not be to another RL club, they could well be lost to the game forever Tommy, and unlike your family maybe their offspring may never even get an introduction to it, you keep mentioning and shoehorning Leeds United into these conversations as though they are a big attraction which they very well maybe, so just imagine that multiplied by 4 and individually in greater numbers by the attraction of the round ball game this side of the pennines in United, City, Liverpool and Everton

In which case you're already suggesting a losing battle.

But we're largely not talking about existing adult fans.

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I agree but would new younger people in the Wigan/Leigh district get drawn to Wigan in the same way that people in outlying Bradford areas started following the Bulls circa 1996-2008?

If they were winning then yes probably. 

Just now, Tommygilf said:

In which case you're already suggesting a losing battle.

Yes I think it would be Tommy, one of the many reasons that I consider a return to a  closed shop would promote, take me for example I have a son and 4 grandsons all of who from an early age I got season tickets and took along to Hilton Park and the LSV, one has turned his back in favour of the round ball game (he has been disowned and taken out of the will) and another having moved to Auckland is now a season ticket holder at the NZ Warriors the other three are still regular visitors to Leigh's games. 

The point I am making is if people through future decisions about the format of the sport see no point or relevance in carrying on going to games it could be the case that it will not only be the individual that could be forever lost, but the knock on effect it could have from those who would have been influenced to attend in the first place and carry on doing so may never happen, and so the link continues down the generations.

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If they were winning then yes probably. 

You obviously are not aware of the feeling the Rugby League Fan's from Leigh have for Wigan Eddie, when Wigan were winning everything for a 10 year period from the mid 80's I think I knew about 3 or 4 maximum who went along to Central Park regularly, and quite rightly they were treated as though they had leprosy and proper folk kept their distance☹

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

You obviously are not aware of the feeling the Rugby League Fan's from Leigh have for Wigan Eddie, when Wigan were winning everything for a 10 year period from the mid 80's I think I knew about 3 or 4 maximum who went along to Central Park regularly, and quite rightly they were treated as though they had leprosy and proper folk kept their distance☹

I can imagine that Harry, but the future Wigan fans are 10 years old who have parents in their 30s. They have no concept of any 1980s rivalry between Wigan and Leigh. Like many 10 year-olds they probably just want to watch sport at the elite level.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I didn’t realise you meant Leigh where Leigh fans come from, thought you meant young people in general. 

9 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I can imagine that Harry, but the future Wigan fans are 10 years old who have parents in their 30s. They have no concept of any 1980s rivalry between Wigan and Leigh. Like many 10 year-olds they probably just want to watch sport at the elite level.

I am going to cross referance two posts I have just made.

That's the point I am making Scubby, there are many 10 year olds and thereabouts very evident at Leigh games they can't get to the DW on their own but go along to the LSV with a parent, guardian or friend, then hopefully and usually the loyalty stays with the vast majority of them.

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes I think it would be Tommy, one of the many reasons that I consider a return to a  closed shop would promote, take me for example I have a son and 4 grandsons all of who from an early age I got season tickets and took along to Hilton Park and the LSV, one has turned his back in favour of the round ball game (he has been disowned and taken out of the will) and another having moved to Auckland is now a season ticket holder at the NZ Warriors the other three are still regular visitors to Leigh's games. 

The point I am making is if people through future decisions about the format of the sport see no point or relevance in carrying on going to games it could be the case that it will not only be the individual that could be forever lost, but the knock on effect it could have from those who would have been influenced to attend in the first place and carry on doing so may never happen, and so the link continues down the generations.

I'd posit that yours is a bit of a rare tale though H. Admittedly quite a popular one at a larger 2nd division club like Leigh. Though lets be honest as 2nd division clubs go Leigh have been one of the most successful.

But realistically its like supporting a 5th or 6th division football team, its a diehard mentality. There are plenty of examples in RL supporting that such as Oldham, Rochdale, Swinton, Hunslet, Keighley etc. Getting kids, and young adults, and indeed anyone frankly, to buy into that is very hard. 

It also wasn't too long ago from the days Bradford were accused of "stealing fans" from neighbouring clubs. 

That this is affecting all rugby league and not just 2nd and 3rd division clubs is a major worry.

Archived