Criteria published for the 12th SL place

Les Tonks Sidestep

On 17/11/2020 at 09:44, The Blues Ox said:

The main question is how does it work when its an independant panel and Bradford may have not handed in their application at that point. Its lazy journalism to try and sell papers or get clicks.

He's putting some meat on the bones here. I think this may be members only, I do think it's worth joining TotalRL if you can afford it but the gist of it is that the thresholds for eligibility and many of the criteria descriptions all seem heavily weighted in the direction of Bradford.

https://www.totalrl.com/bringing-back-the-bulls-dont-be-surprised-if-bradford-return-to-super-league/

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

He's putting some meat on the bones here. I think this may be members only, I do think it's worth joining TotalRL if you can afford it but the gist of it is that the thresholds for eligibility and many of the criteria descriptions all seem heavily weighted in the direction of Bradford.

https://www.totalrl.com/bringing-back-the-bulls-dont-be-surprised-if-bradford-return-to-super-league/

Especially the one stating a top 6 finish, which just gets Bradford over the line on that point, when a top 6 finish meant nothing in the season that they did it. Surely that point should have been, "qualified for the Play Offs". 

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It will count as 1 of the 2 'free' reads allowed per (I think) month. 

On 16/11/2020 at 19:50, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yes I know who the share holders of BBBBB Ltd are...... but Nigel Wood is not the majority share holder by a long way: he holds 125 shares which is fewer than both Graham Swain (150) and Mark Sawyer (249). The question should really be why the temporary, emergency appointment of MS as CEO at the Bulls (whilst remaining Chairman at another Championship club) has now gone on for over 8 months?

His partner and brother own shares too, so Nigel Wood and Family have 350. Mark Sawyer and his brother have 330. So Nigel Wood and his family are majority shareholders.

2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

The only way we will get in is by winning a place with our performances on the field.

But isn't that all we've ever asked for but for numerous years even that was denied us!😡

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

Although this is a Bulls forum,  (sorry Featherstone ) a number of other clubs have been mentioned as possible candidates for promotion to Super League. Living in Yorkshire it seems to me that the OBVIOUS  and CERTAIN winner has been overlooked. 

Decipher this.        (.  HILGE  )

I still feel a 6 team play off would be best. Let the panel select the top two (in their opinion) teams are and the other four play off like the SL did. There would be a draw between the four clubs to see who plays who. Then a match on a Thursday and a match on a Friday  leaving two teams as victors. Then another draw to find out who the two selected teams play from the winners. Then onto the final. Three weeks ands it would be over. No grumbles and the best team gets promoted. Far better than all the squabbling about who goes up.

If the RFL wish to expand the game why not have a team like Newcastle, London or Touluse promoted and protected for two seasons and at the end of the 2021 season expand SL to 14 clubs. The top side In the Championship to be promoted automatically and a play off for the second spot to be like  the current playoffs.

Then operate a two-up two down system. Problem being that Super League will not want 14  clubs.

16 hours ago, Bryan S Taylor said:

If the RFL wish to expand the game why not have a team like Newcastle, London or Touluse promoted and protected for two seasons and at the end of the 2021 season expand SL to 14 clubs. The top side In the Championship to be promoted automatically and a play off for the second spot to be like  the current playoffs.

Then operate a two-up two down system. Problem being that Super League will not want 14  clubs.

The best way forward as I see it is to have a hybrid system of licencing, but with P&R.

The truly super clubs like Leeds, Saints, Wigan, Warrington, maybe Hull, would have an A Licence. Qualification for an A licence would depend on performance over a set period of years. The other English (or heartland?) clubs would have a B licence. You could have 10 or 12 of these clubs with A or B licences who would receive the bulk of the TV money. Then you could have maybe two French clubs and two North American clubs on overseas licences, whose share of the TV money would diminish year on year, to be supplemented by their own TV deals. All clubs would be exempt from relegation apart from the B Licence clubs, and maybe as many as the lowest  two of these would be relegated each year on the basis that some of the clubs in the Championship would be just as worthy. Either promotion from the Championship would not be instantaneous but deferred for a year to give them time to build a squad, Or they would be exempt from relegation in their first season.

This would give a vibrant Super League with expansion opportunities and plenty to play for, but would also revitalise the Championship and increase crowds there too.

Good points raised.

There has to be P & R for the game to move forward and give hope for the Clubs outside Super League.

The good think about it all is that we all have different views as to how it should be achieved.

Good luck to Rovers with their application 

I would like players graded into  A,B and C.Top earners A then B would be players on up to 100G per year .C players would be Academy or younger players who are developing their game.Each club would be allowed 6 of A 14 of B and 6 ofC.Players would be shared out more accross the clubs which i hope would enable the lower clubs to be more competitive.This is for S.L. clubs and the ones with spare budget could sign up to 2 Marque players in addition to their team.The NFL gives first pick to the lower teams of the best players from College Football which is massive ,some Friday night games get bigger crowds than the main NFL games.It is not unusual for the divisions winners to win only 9 out of 16 games.So the NFL is a more level playing field and games are more competitive.

3 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

The best way forward as I see it is to have a hybrid system of licencing, but with P&R.

The truly super clubs like Leeds, Saints, Wigan, Warrington, maybe Hull, would have an A Licence. Qualification for an A licence would depend on performance over a set period of years. The other English (or heartland?) clubs would have a B licence. You could have 10 or 12 of these clubs with A or B licences who would receive the bulk of the TV money. Then you could have maybe two French clubs and two North American clubs on overseas licences, whose share of the TV money would diminish year on year, to be supplemented by their own TV deals. All clubs would be exempt from relegation apart from the B Licence clubs, and maybe as many as the lowest  two of these would be relegated each year on the basis that some of the clubs in the Championship would be just as worthy. Either promotion from the Championship would not be instantaneous but deferred for a year to give them time to build a squad, Or they would be exempt from relegation in their first season.

This would give a vibrant Super League with expansion opportunities and plenty to play for, but would also revitalise the Championship and increase crowds there too.

Steve,

I get most of what you post and agree with most, but I just don't get this at all.

Why should Leeds, Saints, Wigan, Warrington, Catalan, et al be exempt from relegation?

- Just because they won the league, SL and the CC more than other clubs in recent years? Why shouldn't you include Swinton or Hunslet in there, they managed all 4 trophies in one season (how be it a while ago), isn't that more impressive? 

- Maybe it is because they get bigger crowds currently? Then why not include Bradford, Halifax, Wakefield, Widnes, etc. they have all had good crowds in the past?

Why should say Cas get relegated having finished a place above say Wigan who don't get relegated?

For me every club is iconic in it's own way and should be treated evenly. If that was to happen every club would find it's own level based on their support, income streams, etc. We should be removing things that are unfair in the game rather than introducing new ones.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

6 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Steve,

I get most of what you post and agree with most, but I just don't get this at all.

Why should Leeds, Saints, Wigan, Warrington, Catalan, et al be exempt from relegation?

- Just because they won the league, SL and the CC more than other clubs in recent years? Why shouldn't you include Swinton or Hunslet in there, they managed all 4 trophies in one season (how be it a while ago), isn't that more impressive? 

- Maybe it is because they get bigger crowds currently? Then why not include Bradford, Halifax, Wakefield, Widnes, etc. they have all had good crowds in the past?

Why should say Cas get relegated having finished a place above say Wigan who don't get relegated?

For me every club is iconic in it's own way and should be treated evenly. If that was to happen every club would find it's own level based on their support, income streams, etc. We should be removing things that are unfair in the game rather than introducing new ones.

I'm not mad about it either G, but it's probably the best way we could keep P&R. If we can keep it as it is, that's fine, but anything's better than the old licencing system.

3 hours ago, jamescolin said:

I see from the P and C  Express that we have started training again. If it is decided to have a play off this will stand us in good stead. 

Us, York, Bradford, Newcastle & Fax if they haven't pulled out, could play home games at York with 2,000 fans allowed in,  Leigh at Warrington or Widnes, London and perhaps Toulouse at Ealing? Start training now for 28th December start? I bet Sky or another TV company would be willing to stump up some cash?

52 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Us, York, Bradford, Newcastle & Fax if they haven't pulled out, could play home games at York with 2,000 fans allowed in,  Leigh at Warrington or Widnes, London and perhaps Toulouse at Ealing? Start training now for 28th December start? I bet Sky or another TV company would be willing to stump up some cash?

Just not gonna happen is it. In terms of training by the way, Bradford have been back in training for 6 weeks now. 

On 26/11/2020 at 21:01, Steve Slater said:

You couldn't. Most of your players will reside in Tier 3 so aren't permitted (advised) to travel into a Tier 2 region. The RFL would not sanction such a move. Same for Bradford and Fax.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived