Criteria published for the 12th SL place

Les Tonks Sidestep

If play resumes next season in the SL in March as stated on SL commentary then it would depend on the state of the nation at that time. I still believe a 6 team play off is possible for promotion. Plus with injections being avaliable soon perhaps crowds will be back next year.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

You couldn't. Most of your players will reside in Tier 3 so aren't permitted (advised) to travel into a Tier 2 region. The RFL would not sanction such a move. Same for Bradford and Fax.

Is that not permitted or advised not to? It’s a big difference 

14 minutes ago, Fev1983 said:

It's also acceptable to travel for work, which it is for players. I still don't see a play off however. Start Jan, 6 or 8 weeks to get through, then less than a month to recruit players and start again for the winners, and a long slog ahead for the rest, when all the other Championship teams will be fresh. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, Fev1983 said:

It is advised but, as I qualified, the RFL would not agree to it under those circumstances. Do you disagree with that?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You couldn't. Most of your players will reside in Tier 3 so aren't permitted (advised) to travel into a Tier 2 region. The RFL would not sanction such a move. Same for Bradford and Fax.

rubbish.  have you been on the m62?

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

17 hours ago, lingard said:

rubbish.  have you been on the m62?

Yes thanks.

Do you seriously believe that the RFL would sanction such a move?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I realise we're all bored with the lack of Championship RL, but not sure why this thread has developed into a discussion of play-offs, when it has been explicitly stated how and when the decision about the 12th team will be made.

Whether or not you think the whole thing is a fait accompli or not, we know who will be making the decision, what the published criteria are, and when they will announce the decision.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I realise we're all bored with the lack of Championship RL, but not sure why this thread has developed into a discussion of play-offs, when it has been explicitly stated how and when the decision about the 12th team will be made.

Whether or not you think the whole thing is a fait accompli or not, we know who will be making the decision, what the published criteria are, and when they will announce the decision.

🤣🤣

Yeah but, what if......

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes thanks.

Do you seriously believe that the RFL would sanction such a move?

I never said anything about the playoffs.  

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

On 29/11/2020 at 17:00, The Phantom Horseman said:

The decision was made weeks ago.

50 minutes ago, Ainley Top said:

The decision was made weeks ago.

You've got to feel for Toulouse, Leigh, Fev, Bradford, York, and London, they're all spending chunky sums of next year's budget and vast amounts of time preparing glitzy, in-depth promotional videos and applications, and all the time real ale and rambling guru Ainley Top could have saved them the time and expense.

PH,

AT is not a bad lad loves his rugby, hates DR, enjoys a good beer or 3 and has a passion for Fax (well we all can't be perfect). I'll introduce you too him at a Fax game at some point, but guess that means you'll have to get Robin to introduce us 🙂

As for the SL place I suspect that it is not totally a done deal, but that SL do have their favourites. I have said this elsewhere, I believe that the spot should either go to London (relegated for Toronto) or Fev (Losing grand finalist to Toronto) since as a sport the paramount should be how the teams  perform on the pitch. However as I see the squads shaping up for next year there is a bit of me that says I'd quite like Leigh to get the gig since it will leave the championship as one very competitive league in 2021.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

1 minute ago, The Grinder said:

PH,

AT is not a bad lad loves his rugby, hates DR, enjoys a good beer or 3 and has a passion for Fax (well we all can't be perfect). I'll introduce you too him at a Fax game at some point, but guess that means you'll have to get Robin to introduce us 🙂

As for the SL place I suspect that it is not totally a done deal, but that SL do have their favourites. I have said this elsewhere, I believe that the spot should either go to London (relegated for Toronto) or Fev (Losing grand finalist to Toronto) since as a sport the paramount should be how the teams  perform on the pitch. However as I see the squads shaping up for next year there is a bit of me that says I'd quite like Leigh to get the gig since it will leave the championship as one very competitive league in 2021.

Wasn't having a go at him in particular, but have just seen various social media postings from people who KNOW that it is going to be Bradford, who KNOW that it is going to be Leigh, who KNOW that it is going to be Toulouse. The one thing that is certain is that the ones who make the correct prediction will be back to tell us afterwards that the decision proves them right and that it was decided weeks ago.

Now, if someone pops up on social media and says "I was round at Lord Caine's the other day with Karen Moorhouse and Dave Rotheram  and then Chris Anderson and Tony Sutton popped round, and they let slip that...", then I might pay some attention to their speculation. Otherwise...let's just wait and see.

As for your comments on the SL place...for me, London's relegation wasn't in any way impacted by Toronto's presence, whereas our non-promotion was. Take Toronto away and we beat Toulouse in the Final, having disposed of Leigh and York on the way. But of course, I'm biased. And like you, from a selfish POV if we don't get it (and it might be a posioned chalice at such short notice) I'd like it to be either Leigh or Toulouse, taking one strong rival out of the way for next year.

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

PH,

Ey-up Grinder I hope you're keeping well, and sober. 😅 Your point about Leigh is a valid one. With the players they've signed so far, if they aren't the 'lucky' team they should walk the championship next season. The thing is, Derek will be having a very unjolly Christmas as it won't be Leigh. We will see. 🇫🇷 😉 

11 hours ago, Ainley Top said:

Ey-up Grinder I hope you're keeping well, and sober. 😅 Your point about Leigh is a valid one. With the players they've signed so far, if they aren't the 'lucky' team they should walk the championship next season. The thing is, Derek will be having a very unjolly Christmas as it won't be Leigh. We will see. 🇫🇷 😉 

How do gov, yes I’m keeping save hope you are too, hope to get a few beers together next year 🍻

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

On 01/12/2020 at 11:33, Ainley Top said:

Derek is pretty chilled with the distraction, he has said he has recruited a team to have a shot at winning promotion and has 3 more signings to make, the Calibre  of whom will depend on which division we are in. Don’t forget the vast majority of signings will have been done prior to TW being excluded. One thing PT clubs have to factor is how much it will cost to pay off contracted PT players not wanting FT contracts, SL will not allow ‘hybrid’ or PT clubs

The process became a joke when Bradford were allowed in it

11 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Derek is pretty chilled with the distraction, he has said he has recruited a team to have a shot at winning promotion and has 3 more signings to make, the Calibre  of whom will depend on which division we are in. Don’t forget the vast majority of signings will have been done prior to TW being excluded. One thing PT clubs have to factor is how much it will cost to pay off contracted PT players not wanting FT contracts, SL will not allow ‘hybrid’ or PT clubs

The process became a joke when Bradford were allowed in it

Your last sentence is 100% Spot on❗

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Do you have a link to that? Remember, this is not the General forum, so "take my word for it" or "trust me, I know" won't wash here.

Which clubs currently in SL fall into that category?

A3 of the criteria document is about being competitive, I doubt very much if the SL/RFL feel a hybrid or PT club could be so. This will make it very difficult for current PT clubs to step up to FT because 1) they will have PT contracts - some of which wont want FT - to settle 2) They wont have the structures required to be in SL and numerous staff would have to be recruited quickly and at a cost. The above costs will come from the extra Sky pot but remember the £1m is not on top of but is a topping up of Championship money to £1m.

I am with probably most of your fans, if we are offered we must take it, if not then I want it to be Toulouse then Fev - who I consider to be our biggest threat to winning promotion in 2021. What would be a joke is Bradford or York, and Bradford more than York who have at least been the same company for 18 years rather than 18 weeks or months. London would be political and need a complete new squad but they wont fold mid season due to Hughes

23 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Which clubs currently in SL fall into that category?

A3 of the criteria document is about being competitive, I doubt very much if the SL/RFL feel a hybrid or PT club could be so. This will make it very difficult for current PT clubs to step up to FT because 1) they will have PT contracts - some of which wont want FT - to settle 2) They wont have the structures required to be in SL and numerous staff would have to be recruited quickly and at a cost. The above costs will come from the extra Sky pot but remember the £1m is not on top of but is a topping up of Championship money to £1m.

I am with probably most of your fans, if we are offered we must take it, if not then I want it to be Toulouse then Fev - who I consider to be our biggest threat to winning promotion in 2021. What would be a joke is Bradford or York, and Bradford more than York who have at least been the same company for 18 years rather than 18 weeks or months. London would be political and need a complete new squad but they wont fold mid season due to Hughes

To answer your first point:
No SL clubs fall into that category, but Fev announced last year that if we beat Toronto we intended running a hybrid squad in our first (!) year in SL, and we were approved by SL, with only our floodlights needing updating.
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/toronto-and-featherstone-both-approved-for-promotion-by-super-league/

Of course it's possible that not being full-time will count against us as part of the decision-making process, but "SL will not allow" hybrid clubs isn't true - if it were it would have been included in the measures such as must have finished in the top 6, must have crowds of 2,000+ etc.

As for your second paragraph - I agree with every word of it. If it's not us, I want it to be Leigh or Toulouse, who are the only other clubs who might be competitive and also our two strongest opponents on paper for the Championship.

I agree that it would be a joke if Bradford or York got it. Bradford for obvious reasons, and a lot of their fans seem to acknowledge it wouldn't be right. No malice against York, who have done really well, but I think it's really important that the decision-making process doesn't undermine the Championship, and York (and Bradford) haven't achieved anywhere near as much as Fev, Leigh or York in that competition. York's USP is that it's on the outskirts of a popular city, but I'm not sure that entitles them to leap-frog teams who have been jumping through hoops for years to be at the top of the tree in the Championship.

London can make a case largely on being the relegated team in 2019, but their relegation had nothing to do with Toronto's presence, whereas Fev's non-promotion was. Perhaps they have a raft of big signings to announce, but as things stand at the moment they need to focus on how they are going to avoid a relegation battle in the Championship with their current squad, never mind SL.

It gave stadium approval on that link for both finalists, the criteria are different for the application and the SL cannot risk 1) a club going bust 2) A club being uncompetitive, which I feel a Hybrid club would struggle with recovery to be - although Fev, like Cas, would benefit from the idiosyncrasies of the pitch. Fair do's to Fev if you have gone in saying you can't afford to be FT and will run hybrid - but I do feel that wont be what the panel will be looking for.

Anyway I think we both feel we will resume our rivalries soon

Archived