Criteria published for the 12th SL place

Les Tonks Sidestep

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

It gave stadium approval on that link for both finalists, the criteria are different for the application and the SL cannot risk 1) a club going bust 2) A club being uncompetitive, which I feel a Hybrid club would struggle with recovery to be - although Fev, like Cas, would benefit from the idiosyncrasies of the pitch. Fair do's to Fev if you have gone in saying you can't afford to be FT and will run hybrid - but I do feel that wont be what the panel will be looking for.

Anyway I think we both feel we will resume our rivalries soon

Well we've moved on from "SL won't allow it" (which was wrong) to "being hybrid might not be in your favour" (which is probably right).

I don't think it's a question of not being able to afford FT, more not wanting to ditch the number of quality players we have who also have jobs outside rugby.

As we have seen repeatedly in the Championship, simply being full time doesn't mean you are better than a part-time team. Ask Sheffield, who literally went from being one of the top 2 teams in the division to also-rans as soon as they went FT.

Not sure what the pitch has to do with it, especially since it was levelled?

I think you're right that we'll be playing Leigh again soon, one way or another.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Surely Flat Cappers  name goes back to the days of our association with mining. It is not derogatory and the people putting it down should be castigated. We have a proud record of achievements  and remarks such as 'two men and a dog' shows pure ignorance..... 

3 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Surely Flat Cappers  name goes back to the days of our association with mining. It is not derogatory and the people putting it down should be castigated. We have a proud record of achievements  and remarks such as 'two men and a dog' shows pure ignorance..... 

NO it doesn't colin in fact it's a relative new idea and in reality it's not the true nickname of the club the real nicikname is

The Colliers

"Featherstone Trinity Rugby Union Football Club was formed in 1889, becoming Featherstone Rovers in 1902. At this time almost all the players were local miners, earning the club the nickname ‘The Colliers’"

I have followed the Rovers since 1938 and never in Featherstone have I heard us called  THE COLLIERS. My dad who was born in 1900 and was a miner, always wore a flat cap as an adult at matches and the term Flat Cappers was used at that time. Ok  what is written may be different but actual experience is of benefit also. 

On 01/12/2020 at 10:17, The Grinder said:

I have said this elsewhere, I believe that the spot should either go to London (relegated for Toronto) or Fev (Losing grand finalist to Toronto) since as a sport the paramount should be how the teams  perform on the pitch. However as I see the squads shaping up for next year there is a bit of me that says I'd quite like Leigh to get the gig since it will leave the championship as one very competitive league in 2021.

The more I think about the 12th spot, the more the above views reflect my own (other than I think London should barely be in the discussion).

I'll feel a bit aggrieved if we don't get the spot, as I believe we've earned it legitimately. But I'm also really looking forward to the 2021 Championship season, and hopefully having a crack at promotion, rather more than I am looking forward to what would surely be a very tough year in SL in 2021.

12 hours ago, haskey said:

No doubt on Monday our forum will crash with comments of" good or tough".

I think that there is going to be a large amount of outrage across forumland, FB, Twitter on Monday regardless of who gets picked. The most widespread complaints will be if Bradford are selected, but there will be plenty of people moaning loudly if it's us (and indeed any of the other teams).

56 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think that there is going to be a large amount of outrage across forumland, FB, Twitter on Monday regardless of who gets picked. The most widespread complaints will be if Bradford are selected, but there will be plenty of people moaning loudly if it's us (and indeed any of the other teams).

It won't be us.....

But boy, will I have a laugh if they do🤣🤣

22 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

It won't be us.....

I agree, the system being used is effectively a mini-franchising by stealth and the criteria involved play to other teams' presumed strengths more than us.

I'm really looking forward to the 2021 Championship season, and having a real crack at earning promotion the proper way, and the more I think about it the more I don't want us to be selected.

I still think it SHOULD be us though, so I reserve the right to have a proper ##### on Monday.

19 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I agree, the system being used is effectively a mini-franchising by stealth and the criteria involved play to other teams' presumed strengths more than us.

I'm really looking forward to the 2021 Championship season, and having a real crack at earning promotion the proper way, and the more I think about it the more I don't want us to be selected.

I still think it SHOULD be us though, so I reserve the right to have a proper ##### on Monday.

Kind of...  well... exactly my thoughts.....

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm really looking forward to the 2021 Championship season, and having a real crack at earning promotion the proper way, and the more I think about it the more I don't want us to be selected

If promotion is still on the table in 2021. Fair to assume it will be, but nothing would surprise me.

5 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

It won't be us.....

Don't worry Robin, you certainly won't be laughing as your beloved trip to Francais will be gone next season. Unless of course you change allegiance to a SL club and then you could have two trips. 🤔 😉

Archived