2025 World Cup

Eddie

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Exactly. Government funding for French RL is incredibly low. They’re almost certainly not going to fund a World Cup for RL. 

Government funding for Rugby League here is hardly through the roof, and the World cup cost £25 million of government funding, so we're not talking huge amounts. Especially with France hosting the RUWC and Olympics having hosted the Euros within 10 years too, we're a drop in the ocean 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

With what grounds? The Elite One grounds in the nicest possible way can not be hosting a World Cup. 

Toulouse(x2), Perpignan, Avignon, Toulon, Montpellier, Lyon, Paris, any of Albi, Beziers, Carcassonne.

Places like Lyon, Toulon, Bordeaux etc as part of a dedicated legacy strategy for Rugby League.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Toulouse(x2), Perpignan, Avignon, Toulon, Montpellier, Lyon, Paris, any of Albi, Beziers, Carcassonne.

Places like Lyon, Toulon, Bordeaux etc as part of a dedicated legacy strategy for Rugby League.

Marseille!

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Give it Australia and/or NZ and the islands and have done with it. 

It’s either the U.K. or Aus/NZ/both. We’ve got it next year, they’ll get 2025. 

fj5bua6rl2d51.jpg

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

With a new club in Super League, Toulouse (the french rugby city capital) and a new governing body with Luc Lacoste as President, France could build an ambitious and solid project.

In the curent state it is totally impossible.

Absolute dreamland you must be in. 

Why? 5 of those major places already have Rugby League clubs and reasonable sized stadia (15 to 30k) and the others are Solid RL areas that have hosted international RL in the past. I know its not in RLs DNA to be too ambitious but going for a few big hitters isn't a total dreamland at all.

Just now, Jean de Bordeaux said:

With a new club in Super League, Toulouse (the french rugby city capital) and a new governing body with Luc Lacoste as President, France could build an ambitious and solid project.

In the curent state it is totally impossible.

Agreed. Toulouse in Super League is a huge opportunity for all French RL.

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Why? 5 of those major places already have Rugby League clubs and reasonable sized stadia (15 to 30k) and the others are Solid RL areas that have hosted international RL in the past. I know its not in RLs DNA to be too ambitious but going for a few big hitters isn't a total dreamland at all.

Given the history, both short and long term, between the French government and RL and the fact that the French Federation has been woefully run for a number of years, it’s absolute dreamland to think France will get it. 

Given the history, both short and long term, between the French government and RL and the fact that the French Federation has been woefully run for a number of years, it’s absolute dreamland to think France will get it. 

I don't think France will get it, the question yiu posed was "what stadiums?", hence my reply. 

To reiterate, I don't think France will get it on their own or as the lead host nation in 2025. A centenary (or at least 99 years!) of French RL in 2033 is a good candidate for France to do this imo.

2025, is a definite to be in Aus and NZ again. Let's face it, we are not exactly spoilt for choice, especially if we still want to tick the "profit" box.

2029 I can see being a realistic target for France. Though I still doubt they will be sole hosts. I wouldn't mind if they had 2 groups, England had its group and Wales hosted theirs. So, you could split the have a 17-7-7 split on matches between Fran, Eng, Wal, that is, if you give each England and Wales a QF match each to host. 

Problem for France is, you only have a few areas where you have guaranteed facilities and crowds: Toulouse, Perpignan, Avignon... Carcassonne at a stretch. 

24 minutes ago, langpark said:

2025, is a definite to be in Aus and NZ again. Let's face it, we are not exactly spoilt for choice, especially if we still want to tick the "profit" box.

2029 I can see being a realistic target for France. Though I still doubt they will be sole hosts. I wouldn't mind if they had 2 groups, England had its group and Wales hosted theirs. So, you could split the have a 17-7-7 split on matches between Fran, Eng, Wal, that is, if you give each England and Wales a QF match each to host. 

Problem for France is, you only have a few areas where you have guaranteed facilities and crowds: Toulouse, Perpignan, Avignon... Carcassonne at a stretch. 

How about play it the WC in French heartlands and all pool games play them as double headers

25 minutes ago, langpark said:

People turn out for world cups though. League has a presence (albeit small) in some of the bigger cities (Montpellier, Toulon, Marseille, Lyon) and also the SL record crowd was at the Nou Camp in 2019 so there is an appetite for big games, so there are options to take games to those places and it might (hopefully) ignite more interest in the club game in those places too.  Agree that it might be better split between France and the UK though. 

Football and Union grounds. 

In France the big stadia are owned by municipalities. There are lease contracts with "resident" clubs ( Football for the greatests, Union).

These clubs have a priority for using the grounds and have a club house, office, fitness rooms... on the spot.

They have NOT exclusivity, and can rent to someone for a punctual sporting event at the behest of the owner:  the Municipality (the Mayor).

It is absolutely possible to hold RLWC matches on any ground in France.

The real problem is to find a real credibility for the game. This is possible with two Superleague clubs, a stronger national competition, and a new management team heading the french RL, with far better international relations, media communication.

This is possible with Toulouse playing in SL and Luc Lacoste's team accessing to the Federation leadership (Board's election: january 9, 2021). A RLWC organization in France is part of Lacoste's project.

As we've found for 2021, a split tournament may cause issues from a Government funding point of view.

Also, dare I say it, might travel between the UK and France become more of an issue post-Brexit and therefore possibly unsuitable for short turnarounds?

2025 isn't far away at all in terms of tournament planning so you'd have to expect they will be making a decision within the next 12 months. Personally I think France is well worth the risk, particularly if Toulouse end up in SL in the meantime. Worth noting that I expect the usage of football and RU grounds would less of an issue that might be the case over here given how many are in municipal ownership rather than owned by the individual clubs.
(Apologies @Jean de Bordeaux, see edit below!)

57 minutes ago, Eddie said:

People turn out for world cups though. League has a presence (albeit small) in some of the bigger cities (Montpellier, Toulon, Marseille, Lyon) and also the SL record crowd was at the Nou Camp in 2019 so there is an appetite for big games, so there are options to take games to those places and it might (hopefully) ignite more interest in the club game in those places too.  Agree that it might be better split between France and the UK though. 

Absolutely. I have no doubt France could be sole hosts, but you would then be looking more at a break-even scenario than a profitable tournament. So as the IRL's main source of income in the 4-year cycle, I think they will not be willing to take the gamble and give the whole tournament to them. 

If a French bid got guaranteed Government support then there is no gamble. It doesn't take much to host a profitable RL World Cup. If they don't then obviously don't pursue it.

If French RL governance is the issue when it comes to a bid let the IRL control the bid on behalf of French RL with assistance from the team doing the England 2021 bid, who have done a pretty terrific job so far.

France would be a great option, but has there ever been any indication from the French Federation that they would even look at staging the RLWC?

And on the subject of 2025, did I miss the investigation into why the 2025 RLWC for the USA was originally awarded to a company with no experience of staging sports tournaments and which went bankrupt after staging one game? 

Archived