2025 World Cup

Eddie

I have a real fear of what the crowds would be for any World Cup in New Zealand. In recent years international crowds in New Zealand, bar matches involving Tonga, have been very poor. This is even the case for matches involving New Zealand. It has a very small population, few major population centres and you aren't going to get loads of people traveling to a World Cup there. I cant see how a New Zealand only World Cup can be a success.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Damien said:

If a French bid got guaranteed Government support then there is no gamble. It doesn't take much to host a profitable RL World Cup. If they don't then obviously don't pursue it.

If French RL governance is the issue when it comes to a bid let the IRL control the bid on behalf of French RL with assistance from the team doing the England 2021 bid, who have done a pretty terrific job so far.

They have, but doesn't mean they will be able to do the same in France.  If it happens, it must be an FFRXIII-led initiative.  There is obviously the language-barrier that would render a lot of the English staff useless when it comes to organising a WC in France.  Plus the RLWC2021 staff have been the most well-funded, well-resourced WC to date (not taking anything away from what they've achieved).

France, if they are sole hosts, they should look at spreading the 31 matches something like this:

Toulouse: 5
Perpignan: 5
Avignon: 5
Lyon: 3
Paris: 3
Montpellier: 3
Carcassonne: 2
Toulon: 2
Bordeaux: 1
Marseille: 1
Narbonne or Albi: 1

Just as England has done in 2021, there should be a strong focus on their heartland areas.

Also, would be nice to see federations in bordering nations (Spain, Italy and Belgium) submitting bids to host a match.

16 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Exactly. Government funding for French RL is incredibly low. They’re almost certainly not going to fund a World Cup for RL. 

I would not be too sure about that. Regions, departments, agglomerations and communes do support all sorts of sports, even if central govt. does or doesn't.  It would be up to the French fed and the IRLF to set up an appropriately structured RLWC 2025 organisation in France, with mainly French board. Problem is one of politics. Not party politics but personal politics.

My vote would go to France, but whatever,  keep it simple, have it in one country only. Playing games in different countries (separated by maritime barriers or other countries) adds to event costs and spectator costs and detracts from the festival element of the event. 

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

I have a real fear of what the crowds would be for any World Cup in New Zealand. In recent years international crowds in New Zealand, bar matches involving Tonga, have been very poor. This is even the case for matches involving New Zealand. It has a very small population, few major population centres and you aren't going to get loads of people traveling to a World Cup there. I cant see how a New Zealand only World Cup can be a success.

I believe that even the RU World Cup there fell massively short of income expectations exactly because, whilst it's a lovely place, it doesn't really have a lot of people there.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I believe that even the RU World Cup there fell massively short of income expectations exactly because, whilst it's a lovely place, it doesn't really have a lot of people there.

True, its likely never to return to NZ 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

My vote would go to France, but whatever,  keep it simple, have it in one country only. Playing games in different countries adds to event costs and spectator costs and detracts from the festival element of the event. 

It does in general but Catalonia being on the border is no harder to get to from the French heartlands than Paris is (lots easier in fact), so a game at the Nou Camp would be viable and a massive coup. Maybe Valencia too as they play RL down there. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It does in general but Catalonia being on the border is no harder to get to from the French heartlands than Paris is (lots easier in fact), so a game at the Nou Camp would be viable and a massive coup. Maybe Valencia too as they play RL down there. 

understood. i was more referring to countries that are separated by maritime barriers.

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

2021 World Cup are sending out e-mails, in an almost threatening manner, about the lottery for tickets.

If Coronavirus is still prevalent, and sports are not allowed crowds, do we get our monies back? Or is that a lottery too?

They're very clear there's a covid refund policy in place and your money is safe.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

You have to think about travelling round NZ as well, due to its lack of population there is little public transport between cities for fans or even teams to easily move around, it is all based on flights between cities and that just adds more costs and ultimately makes the whole operation more awkward. 

6 hours ago, Damien said:

You are 100% correct even the RWC 2011 sold tickets at cheap prices and corporate hospitality was a fraction of what they charged in England and Japan.

NZ works just for maybe group matches (1 group) and maybe at a push a final (Providing Tonga get in LOL:)

Paul

6 hours ago, langpark said:

They have, but doesn't mean they will be able to do the same in France.  If it happens, it must be an FFRXIII-led initiative.  There is obviously the language-barrier that would render a lot of the English staff useless when it comes to organising a WC in France.  Plus the RLWC2021 staff have been the most well-funded, well-resourced WC to date (not taking anything away from what they've achieved).

France, if they are sole hosts, they should look at spreading the 31 matches something like this:

Toulouse: 5
Perpignan: 5
Avignon: 5
Lyon: 3
Paris: 3
Montpellier: 3
Carcassonne: 2
Toulon: 2
Bordeaux: 1
Marseille: 1
Narbonne or Albi: 1

Just as England has done in 2021, there should be a strong focus on their heartland areas.

Also, would be nice to see federations in bordering nations (Spain, Italy and Belgium) submitting bids to host a match.

Some nice choices there only place I would have my doubts is Paris (Sadly) which means the final would be a toss up between LYON and MARSEILLE might be also worth looking at LENS/LILLE and NANTES for one off matches.

Paul

I would have thought it would make more sense to try and involve France first in a future world cup that is held mostly in England, and then move to them hosting it alone. Whilst I understand the reasons for it being a Northern Powerhouse thing in 2021, I think if the sport is serious about expansion then a future world cup in the northern hemisphere should involve some games in Wales, Scotland, Ireland,  and France, in support of the main event in England.

9 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Some nice choices there only place I would have my doubts is Paris (Sadly) which means the final would be a toss up between LYON and MARSEILLE might be also worth looking at LENS/LILLE and NANTES for one off matches.

Paul

Final at the Nou Camp. 

Why Lens or Lille, do they play up there? I know they have a team in Nantes. 

2 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I would have thought it would make more sense to try and involve France first in a future world cup that is held mostly in England, and then move to them hosting it alone. Whilst I understand the reasons for it being a Northern Powerhouse thing in 2021, I think if the sport is serious about expansion then a future world cup in the northern hemisphere should involve some games in Wales, Scotland, Ireland,  and France, in support of the main event in England.

They did in 2013, but government funding dictated 2021 be an all (Northern) England affair.

Realistically I have my doubts about how France could lead a world cup and have games in England, as I think that would impact travelling fans massively. Unless the group games hosted in England were not England's group

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Final at the Nou Camp. 

Why Lens or Lille, do they play up there? I know they have a team in Nantes. 

There was a match in Lens a few years ago France v Wales which attracted a crowd of 12000 (The owner of the football club likes Rugby League) Nantes yes there is a team Lille would be good for a one off.

Barcelona is actually not a bad call I would be more confident of filling the Nou Camp for a one off than Paris .

15 hours ago, Damien said:

If a French bid got guaranteed Government support then there is no gamble. It doesn't take much to host a profitable RL World Cup. If they don't then obviously don't pursue it.

If French RL governance is the issue when it comes to a bid let the IRL control the bid on behalf of French RL with assistance from the team doing the England 2021 bid, who have done a pretty terrific job so far.

I would be surprised that with France already hosting two major sporting events at that time (RU World Cup 2023 and Paris 2024 Olympics) if there is any money left in the sports events kitty. When your country hosts an Olympics, there is no additional need to promote your country afterwards.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

4 hours ago, flyingking said:

I would be surprised that with France already hosting two major sporting events at that time (RU World Cup 2023 and Paris 2024 Olympics) if there is any money left in the sports events kitty. When your country hosts an Olympics, there is no additional need to promote your country afterwards.

England hosted the Olympics in 2012 and the RLWC in 2013.

Archived