How much would Super League be valued at?

Pulga

After seeing the pitiful criteria set for the 12th team to join SL I was wondering how much it would cost someone (in my imagination it would be the NRL) to buy out the SL.

new rise.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More likely to be venture capital who would potentially have the money to invest to make it bigger. CVC have invested billions in the union premiership, but they have grand designs that are unlikely to be achievable for RL.  If you just invested in SL as a 'going concern' without a plan (and the cash) to grow the sport its probably worth very little given that most clubs lose money and the sport as a whole makes very little profit.

The NRL won't invest in SL, and will probably do very little to support it either. Whilst Gus Gould has started to talk in terms of interest outside of NRL heartlands (important given his new role helping develop strategy for the game here), he currently sees SL as a second-rate competition and nothing much more than a source of some NRL players and a home for retiring NRL players. More importantly whilst there is a separate body with some clout (the NRL), selfish club-based concerns also holds the game back here as well.

20 minutes ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

More likely to be venture capital who would potentially have the money to invest to make it bigger. CVC have invested billions in the union premiership, but they have grand designs that are unlikely to be achievable for RL.  If you just invested in SL as a 'going concern' without a plan (and the cash) to grow the sport its probably worth very little given that most clubs lose money and the sport as a whole makes very little profit.

The NRL won't invest in SL, and will probably do very little to support it either. Whilst Gus Gould has started to talk in terms of interest outside of NRL heartlands (important given his new role helping develop strategy for the game here), he currently sees SL as a second-rate competition and nothing much more than a source of some NRL players and a home for retiring NRL players. More importantly whilst there is a separate body with some clout (the NRL), selfish club-based concerns also holds the game back here as well.

No, they haven't. They paid £120million for a 28% stake in Premiership Rugby. And they'll be taking 28% of the centrally generated revenue going forward, meaning the clubs - who already lose millions each year - will all be receiving much less income. The clubs have largely used the money to pay off some debts to owners, but they'll have to increase income enormously just to remain in their current position.

To answer the OP, the rumour on this board earlier this week was that a private equity firm had offered £50m for a 51% stake in SLE. If true that would value SLE at around £100million. But, again, the clubs would see reduced income in future years.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

After seeing the pitiful criteria set for the 12th team to join SL I was wondering how much it would cost someone (in my imagination it would be the NRL) to buy out the SL.

Can you imagine if V`landy`s came in with a free hand to reshape Super League, it would be a massacre, you wouldn`t recognise it in 2 years. It might actually have a future.

5 hours ago, Pulga said:

Probably around £200k per club as long as they were allowed to spend it next season, they don’t think beyond that. 

nadera - my mistake. CVC's current investment in RU is £720 Million. The point is they are making that because of the growth opportunities.  

The idea that RL clubs would get less income if they sold off half the sport is daft because the whole idea from the VC perspective is to make huge gains in value for the game as a whole. Imagine a CVC negotiating with Sky instead of the current numpties. Of course they'd take a cut for doing that, but no serious VC investor would really be interested in RL unless they could control the game and grow it big time.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Can you imagine if V`landy`s came in with a free hand to reshape Super League ...

This is like when we had years of "Why don't we get Sally Bolton to run X" ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

nadera - my mistake. CVC's current investment in RU is £720 Million. The point is they are making that because of the growth opportunities.  

The idea that RL clubs would get less income if they sold off half the sport is daft because the whole idea from the VC perspective is to make huge gains in value for the game as a whole. Imagine a CVC negotiating with Sky instead of the current numpties. Of course they'd take a cut for doing that, but no serious VC investor would really be interested in RL unless they could control the game and grow it big time.

Makes you wonder whether the investors in union look at that game and think, `now if we could make it a bit more attractive to watch ( like Rugby League ),but with the union reach and a bit of business backing we might be able build something here that could really have value.`

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Can you imagine if V`landy`s came in with a free hand to reshape Super League, it would be a massacre, you wouldn`t recognise it in 2 years. It might actually have a future.

Gingerjon beat me to it, but this is just nonsense. 

I remember when Brisbane Broncos bought out London Broncos (sort of), and even Branson had a go. 

Everyone used to slate Wood and celebrated Elstone taking over, now he made an unpopular decision and he is wrong. 

V'landys would probably do little different. 

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This is like when we had years of "Why don't we get Sally Bolton to run X" ...

Thats the Sally Bolton who was hailed as a messiah of the game after the policy of flooding the RLWC 2013 with cheap tickets and giving sponsorships away for a few grand.

What it needs is someone who believes in the product  and for a start we need to stop apologising for everything.

Just now, ATLANTISMAN said:

Thats the Sally Bolton who was hailed as a messiah of the game after the policy of flooding the RLWC 2013 with cheap tickets and giving sponsorships away for a few grand.

What it needs is someone who believes in the product  and for a start we need to stop apologising for everything.

Yup, Bolton did a good job, but people ignore the contribution of the Tournament Director, and will also ignore the failures of that tournament. 

Jon Dutton appears to be doing a good job with the next World Cup, but he has overseen some really disappointing international tournaments so far in RL. 

There is no silver bullet, and people need to step back and stop being so negative about the game. It really feels to me like there is a lot of gaslighting going on. 

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Pretty much could be any competent administrator or leader then.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Pulga said:

Why does the performance of lower division teams over the last 2 years make you wonder about the value of buying our SL? 

SL is simply a division for the top 12 teams in the RFL pyramid. We could have put criteria at 20k capacity and 10k averages, but it would mean nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

TWP are denied re-entry to the SL and suddenly everything about SL is pants.

How tedious. 

Indeed, at times like this, I rather wish those who always say they will end their association with the game are actually true to their word and we can all move on. 

That is a more general point than aimed at the posters on this thread to be fair. 

But the toxicity isn't good for anyone involved. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Why does the performance of lower division teams over the last 2 years make you wonder about the value of buying our SL? 

SL is simply a division for the top 12 teams in the RFL pyramid. We could have put criteria at 20k capacity and 10k averages, but it would mean nothing. 

Moreso the miniscule crowds and stadia needed. There obviously needs to be controls on the viability of the quality of play.

But 2,000 fans in a 5,000 seat ground is laughably tin-pot.

new rise.jpg

1 minute ago, Wildcat said:

TWP are denied re-entry to the SL and suddenly everything about SL is pants.

How tedious. 

Yes, plenty on here were loving it when SL took over their own destiny and appointed Robert Elstone to grow and expand the game, whilst ridding themselves of the influence of the Lower League Clubs. It was a case of "Watch us go now". Well since the SL rejected TW's application last week how opinion has changed on Mr Elstone and the SL decision making process.

3 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Moreso the miniscule crowds and stadia needed. There obviously needs to be controls on the viability of the quality of play.

But 2,000 fans in a 5,000 seat ground is laughably tin-pot.

2k fans for a lower division club is a reasonable criteria. Set that much higher and literally nobody can apply. 

I suggest you go and find a bigger sport to watch if the size of RL is such an issue for you. 

NFL play in big grounds if that is your bag. 

Just now, Gooleboy said:

Yes, plenty on here were loving it when SL took over their own destiny and appointed Robert Elstone to grow and expand the game, whilst ridding themselves of the influence of the Lower League Clubs. It was a case of "Watch us go now". Well since the SL rejected TW's application last week how opinion has changed on Mr Elstone and the SL decision making process.

Indeed. It's so transparent. 

10 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

The RFaiL are doing so well, themselves. 

58 minutes ago, Dave T said:

2k fans for a lower division club is a reasonable criteria. Set that much higher and literally nobody can apply. 

I suggest you go and find a bigger sport to watch if the size of RL is such an issue for you. 

NFL play in big grounds if that is your bag. 

Too much use of 'tinpot' to sneer at certain clubs. Where are all the large, well supported and financially stable clubs waiting to take their place?

Archived