Jump to content

How much would Super League be valued at?


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There were loads of complaints when TWP games were on pay TV over in Canada, my hunch is not many will pay for NRL (I assume it ain't free to air over there?). 

The NRL games on Sky here get a fraction of what SL games get. 

I've seen quite a few saying they've already cancelled whatever subscription they've had and have subscribed to watchnrl.

It's likely a vocal minority but still by far the most commented of all the options.

new rise.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can you imagine if V`landy`s came in with a free hand to reshape Super League, it would be a massacre, you wouldn`t recognise it in 2 years. It might actually have a future.

No, they haven't. They paid £120million for a 28% stake in Premiership Rugby. And they'll be taking 28% of the centrally generated revenue going forward, meaning the clubs - who already lose millions

This is like when we had years of "Why don't we get Sally Bolton to run X" ...  

Just now, Pulga said:

I've seen quite a few saying they've already cancelled whatever subscription they've had and have subscribed to watchnrl.

It's likely a vocal minority but still by far the most commented of all the options.

Aye, I don't doubt some will, watch RL offers far better coverage than any SL coverage, if you were going to follow a league from the other side of the world, it would make sense to pay for the NRL. 

But it'll be the vast minority IMHO. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf Leeds have grown to north of the city but are stuck either other way in West Yorks (there are 10 other clubs and 3 to 4 other Super League clubs among those at any one time). That said Leeds have grown into Wakefield etc.

I think that's more to do with a density of clubs in West Yorkshire. I hope Wigan, Warrington and St Helens can grow into that regional side for Greater Manchester, Cheshire and Merseyside respectively. 

You have to bear in mind that Sale have literally no RU competition in the entire North West 

Leeds have drawn support from areas further north for as long as I can remember (Bradford too when in SL).

I was going to say that clubs which can face out of the heartlands have an advantage there over others, but of the SL clubs, most have a natural non-heartland hinterland they can take advantage of:

St Helens - Liverpool, Wigan - N Lancs, Warrington - Cheshire, Salford - Manchester, Huddersfield & Wakefield - S Yorks, Cas - towards Selby, Goole & Doncaster, the Hull clubs - E Riding.

What seems to be elusive is how to best take advantage of it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dave T said:

2k fans for a lower division club is a reasonable criteria. Set that much higher and literally nobody can apply. 

I suggest you go and find a bigger sport to watch if the size of RL is such an issue for you. 

NFL play in big grounds if that is your bag. 

 

It seems obvious from your posts that you're happy for the sport you apparently love to remain way out on the margins of public awareness where barely anyone talks about it given your persistently negative attitude towards TWP', and posts of yours like the one highlighted.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ironic how the only logo that has seen finals rugby ( CC 2019 and GF 2020) will be replaced for something more edgy. Could you imagine if they won and you got a tattoo only to find out the logo was going to change.

 

P.S. Who created the current 2020 logò with the will tree?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

It's ironic how the only logo that has seen finals rugby ( CC 2019 and GF 2020) will be replaced for something more edgy. Could you imagine if they won and you got a tattoo only to find out the logo was going to change.

 

P.S. Who created the current 2020 logò with the will tree?

I believe it was Robbie Paul, brought in around the time Koukash was setting up the Trust that owns the club.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Link to post
Share on other sites

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hello said:

It seems obvious from your posts that you're happy for the sport you apparently love to remain way out on the margins of public awareness where barely anyone talks about it given your persistently negative attitude towards TWP', and posts of yours like the one highlighted.

You can think what you like, this is a standard response (attack the poster) just because I've not been suckered in by a lying billionaire. 

I'm not negative about TWP at all, I would have had them as the 12th team, but I won't partake in mental gymnastics to make a good business case where there is none. The only way this ever was worth doing was if self funding, the supporters here want SL to invest millions of pounds in it, which is likely a bad deal. 

As somebody based in Edinburgh I have little interest in RL remaining a minor sport in the North of England and I've supported the growth of RL throughout my life, and I'd spend a decent amount of RL funds on expansion, I'd just do it differently to you. 

And it is interesting that you highlight my post, which was actually a response to somebody else being negative about RL. It is clear being negative about RL is fashionable, being negative about TWP is taboo. That's quite telling. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

From Pulga’s story link

NRL eyeing off Super League 

The rumour has been doing the rounds for a while now that there are people within the NRL and ARL Commission who would be interested in buying a stake, or the entirety, of England’s Super League if the opportunity arose.

Weekend Read was told that the commission had asked an investment firm to look into it for them, the idea that they would take control of the two major rugby league competitions in the world and use their expertise to help Super League shake off the financial shackles that have hampered the code in England.

The commission could then ensure the game continues to grow globally and have a say in the make-up of Super League in terms of the nation’s represented.

Money – whether the NRL can afford it and whether it would be worthwhile – will eventually dictate whether it is realistic.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2020 at 08:12, Dave T said:

2k fans for a lower division club is a reasonable criteria. Set that much higher and literally nobody can apply. 

I suggest you go and find a bigger sport to watch if the size of RL is such an issue for you. 

NFL play in big grounds if that is your bag. 

 

It isn't 2k for a lower division club though is it , it's 2k to enter the SUPER  league the pinnacle of our game . 

What we should be doing/saying is if you want to drink at the top table you need minimum of 5/7/10k whatever , but not adding another mediocre club with pitiful attendances that add absolutely nothing to our game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think the more I think it would make far more sense for Sky to buy into Super League for the paltry amount mentioned in the PE article. Any rights going forward would then become substantially cheaper and they could literally get their money back in a TV deal. They would also get control over the competition for their own scheduling benefit.

Its certainly not what I would want and we have seen what happened in Australia where it took the game a long time to remove the shackles of News Corp.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snoopdog said:

It isn't 2k for a lower division club though is it , it's 2k to enter the SUPER  league the pinnacle of our game . 

What we should be doing/saying is if you want to drink at the top table you need minimum of 5/7/10k whatever , but not adding another mediocre club with pitiful attendances that add absolutely nothing to our game. 

You are clearly confused about what the 2k is. It is minimum criteria that even allows you to apply for a place in SL. 

Use your genius idea of a minimum of 10k and your league grinds to a halt. 

It's great plucking bold numbers from the air, but your suggestion is worse than anything the RFL/SLE could ever come up with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

You are clearly confused about what the 2k is. It is minimum criteria that even allows you to apply for a place in SL. 

Use your genius idea of a minimum of 10k and your league grinds to a halt. 

It's great plucking bold numbers from the air, but your suggestion is worse than anything the RFL/SLE could ever come up with. 

Again you pick parts that you think suites your argument, and totally miss the point.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

Again you pick parts that you think suites your argument, and totally miss the point.

 

There is nothing selective about it, the conversation is directly about the 2k being too low and you stating it should be set as high as up to 10k. It's there in black and white. 

But, it's not a particularly interesting debate tbh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...