Rfl announce expansion and growth plan

iangidds

One of the criteria is well managed, so Bradford should be automatically excluded from this process. But Elstone will probably consider that taking care of a money pit is the equivalent to managing a well. 

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Oldbear said:

The more I think about it the more I think they are going to go for Bradford because they want to replace TWPs average home attendance, plus incorporate Bradfords travelling support at a time when the clubs need as much money as they can get. Also they would like a big city club back in SL, only from the heartlands this time. Of course Bradfords less than stellar financial record over the years will be conveniently airbrushed out of the records, and a return to Odsal will of course project a vibrant comp for those TV viewers that remain☹️

A huge backward step for the game in my opinion with their recent huge financial problems.

Who's going to pay for the upgrade to Odsal which will be needed to get a safety certificate?

13 hours ago, Oldbear said:

The more I think about it the more I think they are going to go for Bradford because they want to replace TWPs average home attendance, plus incorporate Bradfords travelling support at a time when the clubs need as much money as they can get. Also they would like a big city club back in SL, only from the heartlands this time. Of course Bradfords less than stellar financial record over the years will be conveniently airbrushed out of the records, and a return to Odsal will of course project a vibrant comp for those TV viewers that remain☹️

Robert Elstone gave he game away before the Warrington v Hull game with his emphasis on "supporter base" I picked that up and so did Brian Carney. If you look at the other candidates the two non-heartland area clubs do not average more than 2,500 and the other heartland clubs have a glass celiling as they compete for fans in the same area as established Super League clubs, which leaves you with Bradford for the reason you outline.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

22 hours ago, Oxford said:

ian thanks for the right good laugh at a time when I really needed one.

And if you have any more good'uns like this'un please start more threads.

Will do some drinking in the mid afternoon to get the juices flowing

3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Robert Elstone gave he game away before the Warrington v Hull game with his emphasis on "supporter base" I picked that up and so did Brian Carney. If you look at the other candidates the two non-heartland area clubs do not average more than 2,500 and the other heartland clubs have a glass celiling as they compete for fans in the same area as established Super League clubs, which leaves you with Bradford for the reason you outline.

Sadly I agree its looking that way.

I can even see the press release now LOL:)

2 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Although as a Leeds fan I despised Bradford it cant be denied we need those kind of numbers of spectators in the game. Thing is Bradford will need cash to create a strong team and brand again and even with the fat controllers pay off i doubt they have any! Catalans have been the only success for me as an expansion club and Tolouse could replicate that success and add a vital 2nd French team that could be pretty well supported in my opinion. But as always we dont seem to have much vision for the game

The post is pathetic.  As are many comments.

Of the 12 clubs in the Rugby Union Premiership 6 are in the West. There is only 1 in London, 3 in the Midlands.  Rugby League is in a major important conurbation with many many million inhabitants.  It's true we can and should cover a wider spread, but crass ignorant jokes just sells ourselves short. 

20 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Of the 12 clubs in the Rugby Union Premiership 6 are in the West. There is only 1 in London, 3 in the Midlands.  Rugby League is in a major important conurbation with many many million inhabitants.  It's true we can and should cover a wider spread, but crass ignorant jokes just sells ourselves short. 

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but....there are 2 clubs in London I.e. Harlequins and London Irish (plus big club Saracens who are former European champions will in all likelihood be back soon), you don't mention Newcastle who are obviously in the northeast, and  don't acknowledge that the geographical spread of the west and Midlands clubs us much greater than that of the super league barring Catalans. 

On 13/11/2020 at 21:43, iangidds said:

That is quite verbose when compared to former Sunderland legend Len Shackleton.  Known as the ‘Clown Prince of Football’ Shackleton played for Sunderland between 1948 and 1957.

Shackleton became the first footballer to publish his autobiography.  It included a famous chapter titled ‘The Average Directors Knowledge of Football’ that consisted of a single blank page.

P.S. Apologies to any current or ex-directors that frequent this website.

After refusing Toronto, the RFL and SuperLeague have the choice between withdrawal into oneself, along the M62 corridor...  OR  keep a logic decision, in accordance with his will of expansion,  by choosing  TOULOUSE.

This city is far less distant than Toronto. It is the french rugby capital, with the headquarters of the national rugby paper "Midi Olympique". The club Toulouse Olympique is very strong, with 400 licence-holders (young, women and weelchair), and the economic support of many entrepreneurs and decision-makers in the "Table Ovale" (board of support). They have an official agreement with Stade Toulousain, the big RU local club, and can use the Ernest Wallon stadium (20 000 seats) for the ground, cloakrooms, private club house and offices.

It is a one-off opportunity for the british League to not lose face after the Toronto exclusion, to continue is expansion policy instead of curl up on the M62 corridor. It opens the door to offer hope and opportunity to have a stronger League in France, with a competitive national team, the return of credible international clashes and of a french derby, offering to people and medias a real topic of interest.

8 minutes ago, Jean de Bordeaux said:

After refusing Toronto, the RFL and SuperLeague have the choice between withdrawal into oneself, along the M62 corridor...  OR  keep a logic decision, in accordance with his will of expansion,  by choosing  TOULOUSE.

This city is far less distant than Toronto. It is the french rugby capital, with the headquarters of the national rugby paper "Midi Olympique". The club Toulouse Olympique is very strong, with 400 licence-holders (young, women and weelchair), and the economic support of many entrepreneurs and decision-makers in the "Table Ovale" (board of support). They have an official agreement with Stade Toulousain, the big RU local club, and can use the Ernest Wallon stadium (20 000 seats) for the ground, cloakrooms, private club house and offices.

It is a one-off opportunity for the british League to not lose face after the Toronto exclusion, to continue is expansion policy instead of curl up on the M62 corridor. It opens the door to offer hope and opportunity to have a stronger League in France, with a competitive national team, the return of credible international clashes and of a french derby, offering to people and medias a real topic of interest.

Wasn't the inclusion of Catalans supposed to make the French national team more competitive?

On 13/11/2020 at 21:47, flyingking said:

One of the criteria is well managed, so Bradford should be automatically excluded from this process. But Elstone will probably consider that taking care of a money pit is the equivalent to managing a well. 

Actually you're not far wrong if Banks think of some one who manages the loads of debt they have as far more acceptable than someone who avoids having debts, the any team/club that manages their deficits must be a shoe in.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

For emphasis I'll repeat this here:

It's not each other we have have to defeat everyone it's this .....

29 minutes ago, Oxford said:

..... a truly adverserial media that rubs you out of the public conciousness altogether.

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Until we have a plan .....

Yes that's the rub, isn't it.

That'll be on our headstone a bit like W C Fields  "Until We Have a Plan This'll Have To Do!" R I P or "It's Better Than Playing At Odsal!"

On 14/11/2020 at 09:00, The Future is League said:

A huge backward step for the game in my opinion with their recent huge financial problems.

Who's going to pay for the upgrade to Odsal which will be needed to get a safety certificate?

Ah, well, there is the small matter of the £5-800K in central funding that's not being given to the succesful club.

Instead, it could be quietly "invested" in the "RFL asset" of Odsal.

Don't forget the RFL are a shareholder in SL.

Conspiracy theory? What conspiracy theory?

1 hour ago, Jean de Bordeaux said:

I'd like to hope it isn't a one-off opportunity. Surely Toulouse would contiune to press for promotion from the Championship through the normal (on the field) route, as would the other clubs who aren't successful now.

23 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Of the 12 clubs in the Rugby Union Premiership 6 are in the West.

Eh?

"There is only 1 in London"

Eh?

"3 in the Midlands."

Worcester may disagree with that but we'll let that one pass.

"Rugby League is in a major important conurbation with many many million inhabitants.  It's true we can and should cover a wider spread, ...."

Agree with both of those. We should cover a wider spread, but currently don't. We need to make the right decision to not jepordise the precarious financial position of the game and so we probably shouldn't make a choice of who number 12 is just to suit expansion. That said I suspect it will be a toss up between Bradford and Toulouse.

17 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Eh?

"There is only 1 in London"

Eh?

"3 in the Midlands."

Worcester may disagree with that but we'll let that one pass.

"Rugby League is in a major important conurbation with many many million inhabitants.  It's true we can and should cover a wider spread, ...."

Agree with both of those. We should cover a wider spread, but currently don't. We need to make the right decision to not jepordise the precarious financial position of the game and so we probably shouldn't make a choice of who number 12 is just to suit expansion. That said I suspect it will be a toss up between Bradford and Toulouse.

Leicester, Northampton and last time I looked Coventry were in the Midlands.  Wasps don't play in London. Only 1 RU Premiership team plays in London. Admittedly Saracens used to untill they were found to be cheating.

Perhaps Bradford Bulls could move to... Nottingham?

For what it's worth to all who want to obsess about M62 corridor.... there is only 1 northern team in the RU Championship... Doncaster.  Otherwise it's slanted to Midlands and London suburbia.

Do RU fans obsess about the M5 corridor?  Or the M25 western quadrant?   They get on with it.  I suggest everyone on here gets real, and one of our weaknesses is not the M62.  

But "6 are in the west" isn't right, surely. Unless you're counting Sale?  Surely not. 

I Think 5 at best? and I think Worcester would disagree with that. Some would even say Gloucester was more midlands than the west country (although I draw the Midlands/West line at  Strensham Services. I seem to use services for some reason - Midlands ends and North starts at Keele Services in my head :-))

Saracens still play in London but relegated. Now London Irish are back in London (I could never understand why they weren't English Reading  🙂 ) So there's 2 in London, not 1. So not correct saying 1.

I can confirm Coventry is still in the midlands, yes. I've just checked. There's been no significant continental drift since you last looked. 

I don't think Bradford Bulls should move to Nottingham. Not unless that's another way of avoiding an HMRC bill.

I think RU don't get hung up on any motorways as there is a reasonable national spread at the top level. Once you scratch down a division, however, as you say it looks decidedly less so.

7 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I think RU don't get hung up on any motorways as there is a reasonable national spread at the top level. Once you scratch down a division, however, as you say it looks decidedly less so.

I don't think RU care because, as much as it pains me to say it, it is genuinely played all over the country whether that is schools or clubs. Yes we all know there are reasons for this and reasons why RL isn't but it does give fans and indeed administrators a different outlook. RU doesn't need clubs all over the place at the top level to grow the game, it already has the roots in most places including towns that are RL through and through.

Archived