Rfl announce expansion and growth plan

iangidds

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13/11/2020 at 12:07, The Future is League said:

We will really see how ambitious the game is in this country when the 12th club is announced for Super League. If it's another M62 corridor club we will continue to be the laughing stock of British sport with our parochial thinking

Wakefield district is most definitely M1.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Wasn't the inclusion of Catalans supposed to make the French national team more competitive?

No.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

But "6 are in the west" isn't right, surely. Unless you're counting Sale?  Surely not. 

I Think 5 at best? and I think Worcester would disagree with that. Some would even say Gloucester was more midlands than the west country (although I draw the Midlands/West line at  Strensham Services. I seem to use services for some reason - Midlands ends and North starts at Keele Services in my head :-))

Saracens still play in London but relegated. Now London Irish are back in London (I could never understand why they weren't English Reading  🙂 ) So there's 2 in London, not 1. So not correct saying 1.

I can confirm Coventry is still in the midlands, yes. I've just checked. There's been no significant continental drift since you last looked. 

I don't think Bradford Bulls should move to Nottingham. Not unless that's another way of avoiding an HMRC bill.

I think RU don't get hung up on any motorways as there is a reasonable national spread at the top level. Once you scratch down a division, however, as you say it looks decidedly less so.

Yes.  Irish have just moved out of Reading.  I read that their coach is Led Kiss!!

But Brentford stadium is off the M4... It just that Bristol is off the other end!  🙄

And from Worcester down, the M5 you see several RU teams.  

45 minutes ago, doc said:

How come a thread about expansion, or the lack of it, has turned into a geography lesson?

Pass. I just tried to point out fake news. And still m4, bristol coach led kiss... o have no idea.  Cant people just admit they are wrong. I'll give up. 

Bradford have had enough chances to make a success of their club, but have made a hash of it. I appreciate that there are now different people involved and they will naturally have ambitions, however, I think it is time to give someone else a go. I am sure others are more than deserving. Toulouse for me.

I am fed up of the rules of engagement changing so often, and seemingly biased in a way that pre-empts the outcomes. Until incumbent super league clubs come to terms with the fact that they have no divine right to that status, nothing will change. The fans of the game were here well before those who run these clubs and they expect transparency, fairness and professionalism. I realise it is like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas, as the reality seems to be that some SL clubs are probably not good enough to stay there for any length of time if the door opens to certain others.

Some call the game egg-chasing. I am afraid Super League administration is firmly routed in money-chasing.

6 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Ah, well, there is the small matter of the £5-800K in central funding that's not being given to the succesful club.

Instead, it could be quietly "invested" in the "RFL asset" of Odsal.

Don't forget the RFL are a shareholder in SL.

Conspiracy theory? What conspiracy theory?

£5-800K wouldn't even scratch the surface what's needed at Odsal.

1 hour ago, doc said:

How come a thread about expansion, or the lack of it, has turned into a geography lesson?

Because threads rove around, move on to ever decreasing circles bringing up yawn along the way to annoy admin.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 13/11/2020 at 12:10, Eddie said:

Not even that, the rest of British sport won’t even know about it. 

Therein lies the issue. No one cares because no-one even knows about it. Great work from Elstone in the marketing department. All the chat about the 12th club in the limited media and current fan base, frankly (and I am Broncos fan) does not compare to the national chat about SBW and Toronto and from sports fans country wide how crazy (in the amazing sense) the idea of Toronto playing in a European (sic) SL

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes.  Irish have just moved out of Reading.  I read that their coach is Led Kiss!!

But Brentford stadium is off the M4... It just that Bristol is off the other end!  🙄

And from Worcester down, the M5 you see several RU teams.  

Are you  one of those people who don't admit when you are wrong?

6 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Leicester, Northampton and last time I looked Coventry were in the Midlands.  Wasps don't play in London. Only 1 RU Premiership team plays in London. Admittedly Saracens used to untill they were found to be cheating.

Perhaps Bradford Bulls could move to... Nottingham?

For what it's worth to all who want to obsess about M62 corridor.... there is only 1 northern team in the RU Championship... Doncaster.  Otherwise it's slanted to Midlands and London suburbia.

Do RU fans obsess about the M5 corridor?  Or the M25 western quadrant?   They get on with it.  I suggest everyone on here gets real, and one of our weaknesses is not the M62.  

Yes the M62 is a major weakness.  Those M62 towns are "smallish, economically disadvantaged towns" according to former St Helens CEO Sean McGuire, who says that as a consequence the traditional RL clubs face financial issues which their counterparts in other sports "can't even imagine".

The Midlands and London suburbia give their RU counterparts a much healthier economic base and a lot more money coming in their doors.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

£5-800K wouldn't even scratch the surface what's needed at Odsal.

Odsal really that bad? Blimey! Can't see number 12 being Bradford then, even if they got hold of the cash how would the work get assessed, tendered, contracted and completed mid-winter in under 3 months.

Just now, Whippet13 said:

Odsal really that bad? Blimey! Can't see number 12 being Bradford then, even if they got hold of the cash how would the work get assessed, tendered, contracted and completed mid-winter in under 3 months.

If the Bulls are the 12th club with all their past history of financial incompetence it will confirm what Eamonn McManus and Gary Hetherington was true

8 hours ago, Celt said:

Yes... I get what you are saying.

However, on the flip side - promoting Bradford will allow us to see the return of grown men singing 'Wooly Bully' on a rain-soaked open terracing, live on Sky.

Strong arguments for both.... So let's leave the final decision to the experts. 

8 hours ago, Celt said:

Yes... I get what you are saying.

However, on the flip side - promoting Bradford will allow us to see the return of grown men singing 'Wooly Bully' on a rain-soaked open terracing, live on Sky.

Strong arguments for both.... So let's leave the final decision to the experts. 

"So let's leave the final decision to the experts."     .............    OF COURSE  !

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

It's still classed as being in the M62 corridor

Does that also include Sheffield?

8 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

I'd like to hope it isn't a one-off opportunity. Surely Toulouse would contiune to press for promotion from the Championship through the normal (on the field) route, as would the other clubs who aren't successful now.

Please,  Toulouse was heading the 2020 Championship when he stopped !

Archived