Salford’s new badge

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a definite improvement. Few things could have maybe been done to make the character look more devil-like and less like a skeleton but that aside it's not a bad effort at all.

Very much in the mould of traditional US based sports branding.

The current Hull FC badge is IMO a perfect example of a traditional badge that works wonderfully as a contemporary sports logo. Hopefully they are not considering a re-brand also.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

51 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Add Leigh's into that for me please Tommy, the 'Centurions' was born in 1995 as being one of the original 1895 teams, I consider the relevance of that lost over time this year for example in 2020 it could have been Leigh Centurions 1.25.

Tbf as I said in another post Leigh alongside Bradford are two Championship clubs whose badges/identities are more about modernisation rather than a total shift in focus. Though the modernisation directive has been to super league clubs not RFL clubs.

59 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

So what's to happen about Wakey, who did away with their logo but still retain a unique brand in Trinity, and the two Hull club's, one without a logo and the other with a Robin? Will they have to adopt a aggressive Robin like the one they had previously (but surely not with a Scrum Cap, not on trend) and will this be relevant to the club's seeking to join SL?

No idea. Hull, Trin and KRs badges look quite classy, but perhaps that makes them likely for an Everton style re-do. That is to say, a touch up to modernise.

Hull's for example doesn't look great/clear on a white backing, so perhaps having the badge reproducable in multiple colours/against different backings could be a route? That could even just be the same badge with a black outline of the gold. 

Trin and Hull KRs are quite good but not perfect imo.

19 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

It's a definite improvement. Few things could have maybe been done to make the character look more devil-like and less like a skeleton but that aside it's not a bad effort at all.

Very much in the mound of traditional US based sports branding.

The current Hull FC badge is IMO a perfect example of a traditional badge that works wonderfully as a contemporary sports logo. Hopefully they are not considering a re-brand also.

As I put above I think Hull's is fine just needs a touch up to make it clearer. A black outline is all needed imo as Gold on White isn't very clear.

3 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I think Leeds are overdue a re-brand - I think the current crest looks incredibly dated, but I do hope they avoid the 'clipart' approach that clubs like Salford, Wigan and Warrington have gone down. 

I do think this idea of "brands for the digital age" shows a lack of understanding about branding and digital, but my reasoning for that thinking would probably bore people more than my usual material does 😉. Long story short (and I say this as someone from a digital background) - seperating "digital" from normal marketing and branding is not sensible approach.  

Indeed it should not be separated especially as branding for a sports club doesn't sit 100% in the digital domain.

Creating a brand in todays landscape is about the brand working across both traditional and digital media.

As for Salfords new brand - I can't be arsed moaning about another badly implemented rebrand but...

It looks like someones gone onto iStock and gone - yep that'll do, its generic and not to my taste what soever, I'd like to see more of the brand elements before judging 100% though.

On the Leeds point I do think they need a refresh but the Rhinos brand (as much as the logo itself is dated and ######) has a lot of equity I'd be really disappointed if they refreshed it to something generic I 'd like to see a refresh of what they already have.

My favourite Sports club rebrand in recent times is Juventus which was created by interbrand. It was very controversial, but its everything I love about branding, the crest itself is very very simple but the whole branding surrounding it is superb. I just wish some RL clubs were a bit braver and went for a modern clean brand rather than these Americanised generic looking things.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

On the Leeds point I do think they need a refresh but the Rhinos brand (as much as the logo itself is dated and ######) has a lot of equity I'd be really disappointed if they refreshed it to something generic I 'd like to see a refresh of what they already have.

I agree, they shouldn't change it for something they're not fully behind.

The current badge does all the stuff it needs to (and Super League seems to want) just in a bit of a dated fashion. It has Rhinos featured prominently, the moniker image is clear and well integrated, and the badge overall is in the clubs colours with distinct outlines. Take away Leeds at the top and you can be pretty certain a "Rhinos" team that wears that badge plays in Blue and Amber, which is all you can ask of a badge really. Paradoxically it also looks quite good on a range of odd colours for away shirts.

Modernise it maybe, but not redone in a retro way. The old badges they've done recently for heritage shirts have been pretty poor, especially when stitched onto shirts.

By the looks of things it won't be changing anyway

27 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Indeed it should not be separated especially as branding for a sports club doesn't sit 100% in the digital domain.

Creating a brand in todays landscape is about the brand working across both traditional and digital media.

As for Salfords new brand - I can't be arsed moaning about another badly implemented rebrand but...

It looks like someones gone onto iStock and gone - yep that'll do, its generic and not to my taste what soever, I'd like to see more of the brand elements before judging 100% though.

My favourite Sports club rebrand in recent times is Juventus which was created by interbrand. It was very controversial, but its everything I love about branding, the crest itself is very very simple but the whole branding surrounding it is superb. I just wish some RL clubs were a bit braver and went for a modern clean brand rather than these Americanised generic looking things.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Personally I think it's awful but each to their own.

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Design is subjective but my point is more around the brand rather than just the crest itself, although as I say I think the crest is a superb bit of branding and Graphic Design.

I also absolutely loved the 2012 olympics branding which I am absolutely in the minority on that one, but it was modern, controversial, bold, brave, interesting and unique, everything that should some up our country and it’s creative output.

57 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

As I put above I think Hull's is fine just needs a touch up to make it clearer. A black outline is all needed imo as Gold on White isn't very clear.

Hull use a one colour logo quite a bit , which works well. It's not a contemporary logo by any stretch, but it does the job well enough.
One of my lockdown projects was to redesign all the SL club logos (along with their playing kits), but sadly never got round to finishing all of it.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I also absolutely loved the 2012 olympics branding

If you mean the "2012" shape logo thing, I too thought that was great. It did exactly what it needed to do, which was to allow different companies to change it to their own colour scheme, so that they could both promote the Olympics and their company simultaneously.

12 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Design is subjective but my point is more around the brand rather than just the crest itself, although as I say I think the crest is a superb bit of branding and Graphic Design.

I also absolutely loved the 2012 olympics branding which I am absolutely in the minority on that one, but it was modern, controversial, bold, brave, interesting and unique, everything that should some up our country and it’s creative output.

Fair enough but the old one was instantly recognisable as Juve and was far from being dated,I'm not sure the new one is.

15 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Hull use a one colour logo quite a bit , which works well. It's not a contemporary logo by any stretch, but it does the job well enough.
One of my lockdown projects was to redesign all the SL club logos (along with their playing kits), but sadly never got round to finishing all of it.

Like I said I don't think its bad at all but doesn't stand out enough on white (which it most often is set against especially on TV/digital) 

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

If Hull were to rebrand, I'd like some kind of focus on the H just like you've shown with the J for Juventus. Plenty you can do to make it stand out. You can link the irregular hoop into it, link is to the Humber Bridge, etc.

You could even use it in slogans. We never say the H in 'ull because the shirt says it for us...

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

The problem is they have to avoid infringing on Man Utd’s brand image (I appreciate Salford had the name first) so avoid full body devils.

The Koucash one and this one both have some good elements but parts of the face just look weird and bring the whole thing down. 

I said last rebrand that a red pitchfork on a black shield would look really cool and avoid the other issues. 

54 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's a big J.

Who else could that be?!

You said you wasn't sure if this new badge was instantly recognisable as Juve.

I don't know who else a badge with a big J on it could be in the football world! There aren't many J teams in football, don't think they need much else!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Clearly it seems Elstone's view is for the "moniker" to be above the the team name in terms of branding - perhaps because he feels Red Devils vs Warriors is more broadly appealing than Salford V Wigan as part of his overall strategy for the game and a TV deal. That in itself is quite revealing.

This has almost certainly come from a marketing firm. Elstone wouldn't have a clue about it.

They're right too. Welcome to the 21st century.

new rise.jpg

Archived