Sean O'Loughlin announces retirement

Futtocks

No great surprise to anyone, but confirmation that 2020 is his last season as a player.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For as long as I've been obsessed with rugby league he's been in the Wigan side. A fantastic player. One of the last of the old school ball playing loose forwards. It's going to be very weird next year seeing someone else wearing the number 13. He's had a career to be proud of.

I think the timing is definitely right though. I'm sure in the back of his mind he was probably tempted to go for 20 years but I don't think he'd be able to offer enough to go around again. Two of the biggest questions at Wigan over the last few years have been who will replace O'Loughlin at 13 and who will replace him as captain. For a long time there haven't been convincing answers to either of those questions but now there is.

I do hope he gets back in the side and can get to one last Grand Final though. It won't be the same as winning at Old Trafford but I'd love for his final game at Wigan to be lifting the Super League trophy. Undoubtedly on the other side of the hill there will be Saints fans thinking the same thing about James Graham. Part of me really wants the Grand Final to be a showdown between Lockers and Graham.

53 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

No great surprise to anyone, but confirmation that 2020 is his last season as a player.

Yes.  Injuries have forced his career to stutter to an end.  For me it was a great loss that he was not fit in the World Cup.  Follow that up with Sam Burgess' injury in a later series.

31 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Great player & a wonderful clubman,but I can’t help feeling he should have retired 12 months ago.

Hopefully a place on the coaching staff awaits.

One good thing is that Wigan have been forced to manage without him, with Bateman returning next season.

And no matter how well Tommy has done ... and how useful he is ... and how much we would miss him, at 35 he too should make way.  

Being harsh, the club needs the Cap space.  Clubs need to renew.  I think Wigan have done a good job in the last 2 or 3 years. French and Hastings after next season are the issue...

A great player and a great career.

At his best, he made Wigan tick. He was a massive physical presence in the middle of the park in both attack and defence but also a quality ball handling forward.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

A great player who had it all and from a young age he was technically very good at everything he did. A fantastic leader and captain too who all the Wigan players look up to. Its just a pity his last few years have been hampered by injury and I still think the World Cup Final would have been a different result with a fit O'Loughlin.

I'm pretty sure he's not leaving the game; straight into the backroom staff, I reckon. Nearly all the squad have grown up looking to him as a leader, and he's smart enough to coach.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I'm pretty sure he's not leaving the game; straight into the backroom staff, I reckon. Nearly all the squad have grown up looking to him as a leader, and he's smart enough to coach.

He is a Wigan player I have heard of 🙂

I think he will make an excellent coach as you say. He read the game superbly.

Fantastic player and career. Shame he got so many injuries towards the end but that’s to be expected. Carried a team like Wigan at times which is some feat. His injury (along with Hodgson) cost us the wc in 2017

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

A great player to watch, he did everything you could ask of a LF. Lovely hands, ran the ball in hard, tackled even harder, and always came across as both a model professional and a man respected throughout the game. What a fantastic career.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Archived