Sean O'Loughlin announces retirement

Futtocks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Damien said:

This shows the high esteem he is held in, immediately becoming the 15th member of the club's hall of fame:

Now that's a Wigan team I'd like to see! 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

2 hours ago, Damien said:

This shows the high esteem he is held in, immediately becoming the 15th member of the club's hall of fame:

Wow a lot of incredible Wigan players not on that list. Jason Robinson, Denis Betts, Joe Lydon to name just a few.

36 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

A tireless worker and a skilful player.

An inspirational leader and a Wigan legend. If Botica is in their Hall of Fame, then O'loughlin walks in.

Remind me again of his highlights in international rugby. 

Lockers or Frano ?

Frano was the last true goalkicker Wigan ever had .

If they could have replaced him with the same consistent player . right up to today . then they could well have cleaned up most of the trophies  available since his retirement.

55 minutes ago, del capo said:

Lockers or Frano ?

Frano was the last true goalkicker Wigan ever had .

If they could have replaced him with the same consistent player . right up to today . then they could well have cleaned up most of the trophies  available since his retirement.

You shouldn't get in a RL hall of fame for kicking conversions. RU maybe.

Botica in, but no Betts, Platt, Radlinski, Robinson? Whatever.

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Even though he only played half a season I would have Brett Kenny in there.  I'd also have John Ferguson as well! 

Reason being they transformed the way we look at our game. 

I know... a sweeping statement. But there we go, I've said it now.

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

When you make 3 / 4 points  after a try into 5 /6 you win the games , especially the big ones . And when you can also do more than a bit on the park ?  Well placed on WIgan Hall of Fame Board  as far as I'm concerned.....

10 hours ago, del capo said:

And in today's crop where would Hull be without Sneyd ?

Sneyd is a tactical kicking halfback who leads his team around the field as well as kicking goals. Whether that gets him into the Hull HOF I don't know.

Botica was a place kicker extraordinaire but an ok player nothing more and a luxury that only a team as strong as that Wigan outfit could carry. 

Are you his dad?

10 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I always wonder, if he had played in the 2017 WC final - would we have won??

Seen the Aussies saying in the past the 2 players they always looked at in their team briefings were Lockers and Roby.

I said that on the first page. O'Loughlin was that good he could have been the difference in that game.

10 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I always wonder, if he had played in the 2017 WC final - would we have won??

Seen the Aussies saying in the past the 2 players they always looked at in their team briefings were Lockers and Roby.

Probably because they had to keep an eye on him so they knew when they needed to duck.

Great player though

44 minutes ago, Nate90 said:

There have been so many fantastic moments. Seeing him lift the 2010 Grand Final trophy will always be my personal favourite after seeing the team being nearly men throughout all of the previous decade.

That was a great night.

12 hours ago, del capo said:

When you make 3 / 4 points  after a try into 5 /6 you win the games , especially the big ones . And when you can also do more than a bit on the park ?  Well placed on WIgan Hall of Fame Board  as far as I'm concerned.....

yep, conversion points important. Personally I'd only have them as 1 point.  After all we pride ourselves the game is about tries..

Anyway back to the thread... Always admired O'loughlin play. Wasn't one to get you off your seat (like Tomkins in his prime) but a great leader and lovely ball skills together with his timing that often resulted in tries.

Archived