Direct contact with the head

DoubleD

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Translation: I've started a whole new thread for one single incident and it's not because he used to play for Wigan, honest!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

27 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I keep hearing how direct contact with the head is a straight red card.

So how, after viewing video evidence, was McIllorum not sent off?

You ignorance is showing. It's because he's protected by  a secret SuperLeague rule  that says ex-Wigan players are immune from such decisions.😀😀😀

I don't know who he played for, but it was appalling. His attitude afterwards too.

Parents aren't going to let their children play rugby if they see players assaulted and covered in blood. Especially if the assailant gets away with it.

3 minutes ago, Niels said:

I don't know who he played for, but it was appalling. His attitude afterwards too.

Parents aren't going to let their children play rugby if they see players assaulted and covered in blood. Especially if the assailant gets away with it.

Give over and grow up.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 minutes ago, Padge said:

Give over and grow up.

No , he is right , we need parents to be happy to let their sons play the game , if they think the pro's aren't going to be punished , they'll not believe little Johnny will either 

Mcillorum was lucky because he was already tackled and going down , was there intent ? , Well , you'll know more than us mere mortals on that one 

Just now, Padge said:

Give over and grow up.

It was a shocking incident. Didn't you see his face covered in blood?

No reasonable fan would find that palatable. 

It's not about growing up, it's about being a decent human being. 

This sport does not take head injuries seriously. We've seen it consistently.

Let's put aside this club-centric nonsense. You could pick out examples from most clubs where forceful shots to the head go without on field punishment.

I would find it very hard to justify why you can strike a player with a stiff arm in the head and stay on the field. Especially to new fans.

McIlorum's incident tonight is just one example. We do little to dissuade reckless tackles. 

It's not about McIlorum. It's about what sport we want to be. Tough? Yes. Combative? Yes. One that shrugs at reckless attacks to the head? Absolutely not.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

No , he is right , we need parents to be happy to let their sons play the game , if they think the pro's aren't going to be punished , they'll not believe little Johnny will either 

Mcillorum was lucky because he was already tackled and going down , was there intent ? , Well , you'll know more than us mere mortals on that one 

1 minute ago, Niels said:

It was a shocking incident. Didn't you see his face covered in blood?

No reasonable fan would find that palatable. 

It's not about growing up, it's about being a decent human being. 

Going off these statements after the 1970s we would never have had anybody allowing anyone to join the game. 

Its a hard game, incidents like this are few and far between compared to the past.

A lot of blood gets spilled in games for all sorts of reasons.

Fekin snowflakes are going to ruin this game for what it is.

Go and watch the ballet.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

11 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

Even as a Wigan fan I find it very wrong that he didn’t get a red card for that swinging arm direct to the nose.

I said at the time to my wife he's going to get carded.

He didn't, move on, wait and see.

I can't be doing all this faux hysteria.

He should have got one card or another.

But would he have got a whole thread on TRL for this if he'd signed to Catalans from, say, Huddersfield or Hull FC? 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

He should have got one card or another.

But would he have got a whole thread on TRL for this if he'd signed to Catalans from, say, Huddersfield or Hull FC? 

I've never heard of him before so it wasn't a factor. 

1 minute ago, M j M said:

How bizarre is it that the Wigan fans think this is all about them?

How transparent is the OP?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Translation: I've started a whole new thread for one single incident and it's not because he used to play for Wigan, honest!

What a bizarre assertion. I haven’t even looked at the match thread because I was, you know, watching the game 🙄

Either direct contact with the head is a red card or it’s not......which is it? 

I couldn’t care less who he plays for, let alone who he used to play for 🙄

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

What a bizarre assertion. I haven’t even looked at the match thread because I was, you know, watching the game 🙄

Either direct contact with the head is a red card or it’s not......which is it? 

Is it worth a comment in the match thread or a whole new thread on its own? And you did actually comment in that match thread that you claim you hadn't even looked at. Posting history is public knowledge.

For what it's worth, I don't think McIllorum should be playing next week, and probably not in the final (assuming Catalans actually get there).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Is it worth a comment in the match thread or a whole new thread on its own? And you did actually comment in that match thread that you claim you hadn't even looked at. Posting history is public knowledge.

For what it's worth, I don't think McIllorum should be playing next week, and probably not in the final (assuming Catalans actually get there).

Not during the match, as I was watching the game, as I previously stated. 

If you have an issue with a separate thread being posted, I suggest you ignore it rather than fill it up with baseless diatribe. My point is to raise a wider issue on contact with the head, where we appear to have glaring inconsistencies for what should be a serious offence

WRT your last paragraph, that is not the point, it’s completely irrelevant. 

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Not during the match, as I was watching the game, as I previously stated. 

If you have an issue with a separate thread being posted, I suggest you ignore it rather than fill it up with baseless diatribe. My point is to raise a wider issue on contact with the head, where we appear to have glaring inconsistencies for what should be a serious offence

WRT your last paragraph, that is not the point, it’s completely irrelevant. 

But you did post in the thread, despite saying you "haven’t even looked at the match thread".

Would this subject have come up without the incident in tonight's match? Maybe, but the timing of the thread's creation seems rather obviously connected.

The last paragraph was about direct contact with the head and the predicted consequences. So it literally could not be more relevant to a thread called "Direct contact with the head"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

But you did post in the thread, despite saying you "haven’t even looked at the match thread".

Would this subject have come up without the incident in tonight's match? Maybe, but the timing of the thread's creation seems rather obviously connected.

The last paragraph was about direct contact with the head and the predicted consequences. So it literally could not be more relevant to a thread called "Direct contact with the head"

You’re being deliberately obtuse so i will respond and then leave it here. You know full well my response in ‘not looking at the match thread’ was in relation to comments on this subject. 

Your last point is irrelevant because retrospective punishment is not the basis of my line of question. 

Murdoch-Masila got a red recently for a shoulder to the head, which whilst clumsy, appeared unintentional. I thought it was a little harsh and could have been a yellow but the Sky crew were adamant it was a red card. There never appeared to be the same outcry today for what seemed a far worse, reckless act (and that’s not even factoring in his stupid reaction with the player on the ground)

7 hours ago, Chris22 said:

This sport does not take head injuries seriously. We've seen it consistently.

Exactly this.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived