Direct contact with the head

DoubleD

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

Can they really just sit there on say a Monday morning & take the test until they pass? I thought that they had to wait a certain length of time until they could take a re-sit

The protocols are public, as usual people would sooner guess rather than check.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is the rule contact with the head, deliberate or not, off or not? Mcillorum made contact with the head, whether the player was on his way down or not, does that matter too? 

I'm still puzzled why there was no action by the referee at the time, with clear evidence of blood coming from Dwyers nose and mouth. Surely the video ref could see the swinging arm and contact with the face/head on the replays, or does this not come into play either. 

Smash someone across the face with a swinging, stiff arm causing excessive bleeding and no doubt pain to victim.... No problems, play on , grow up, ignore the snowflakes and let's bash each other up.... No card, or penalty.

Kick the ball into an empty stand in sheer frustration at your team losing another close fought contest.... Obviously a yellow card, early bath for you son and a slap on the wrist.

Welcome to the mad world of rugby league in 2020.

7 minutes ago, meast said:

Smash someone across the face with a swinging, stiff arm causing excessive bleeding and no doubt pain to victim.... No problems, play on , grow up, ignore the snowflakes and let's bash each other up.... No card, or penalty.

Kick the ball into an empty stand in sheer frustration at your team losing another close fought contest.... Obviously a yellow card, early bath for you son and a slap on the wrist.

Far too often we punish the recipient , not the perpetrator 

Not been on for a few days, but when I saw the title I had a look as I assumed it was the O'Loughlin tribute thread. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

11 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Read what I was critiquing. The defence of actions, not the perpetrators 

Who has been defending actions?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Not been on for a few days, but when I saw the title I had a look as I assumed it was the O'Loughlin tribute thread. 

Well the RL pitch just got a whole lot safer now ' glass back ' is calling it a day 

19 hours ago, Damien said:

No. You are just making things up.

The still shows Bird going in to make a tackle, a tackle that happens time and again. They clashed heads, Bird was knocked out, Reynolds was knocked out. Acton acted like an idiot and admitted so, issued an apology and got banned for 9 matches. Bird got charged with nothing. That is what most impartial fans see. Leigh fans obviously think otherwise. 

not seen the footage before... but the video doesn't show the whole.  Birds arm looked as if its straight as he hits the kicker... as in like a forearm smash all be it to the chest... I wouldn't have been surprised if he had been penalised for dangerous tackle...

Hard to tell from that clip and the pictures come after...

As we are prone to ignore such types of play the game deems them acceptable.

15 hours ago, meast said:

You, amongst others, have entirely missed what the snowflake comment was about.

On 13/11/2020 at 23:03, Padge said:

Going off these statements after the 1970s we would never have had anybody allowing anyone to join the game. 

Its a hard game, incidents like this are few and far between compared to the past.

A lot of blood gets spilled in games for all sorts of reasons.

Fekin snowflakes are going to ruin this game for what it is.

Go and watch the ballet.

No problem with what you say, i played in the 70s and 80's and every game had incidents like that, if he had been seen it was red, but he wasn't but you do wonder with the stoppage and sky slow motion replays what the video ref was looking at. 

22 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

No problem with what you say, i played in the 70s and 80's and every game had incidents like that, if he had been seen it was red, but he wasn't but you do wonder with the stoppage and sky slow motion replays what the video ref was looking at. 

I said earlier I expected him to be carded, but people are choosing to ignore that fact, I also said (as is more often than not my stance), let's wait and see what happens.

Now on to the laws, and before anybody jumps in I am not saying what I think this incident was, that as I said above is for the disciplinary.

Definition of misconduct 1. A player is guilty of misconduct if he:

(b) when effecting or attempting to effect a tackle makes contact with the head or neck of an opponent intentionally, recklessly or carelessly.

Note it does not say any or accidently.  If the ref sees it as accidental then there is no offence. This was confirmed by the international board in 1993.

Occasionally refereeing directives are sent out to clamp down on certain things, these are usually in effect a short term action and once things are under control they tend to be dropped and the refs revert to the Laws of the Game.

Just thought I would bring some facts to the discussion.

9 minutes ago, Padge said:

I said earlier I expected him to be carded, but people are choosing to ignore that fact, I also said (as is more often than not my stance), let's wait and see what happens.

Now on to the laws, and before anybody jumps in I am not saying what I think this incident was, that as I said above is for the disciplinary.

(b) when effecting or attempting to effect a tackle makes contact with the head or neck of an opponent intentionally, recklessly or carelessly.

Note it does not say any or accidently.  If the ref sees it as accidental then there is no offence. This was confirmed by the international board in 1993.

Occasionally refereeing directives are sent out to clamp down on certain things, these are usually in effect a short term action and once things are under control they tend to be dropped and the refs revert to the Laws of the Game.

I think it will always be how certain people interperate the laws. Things are never just black and white. I always enjoyed watching players who play on the edge whether watching Les boyd or more recently ben Westwood and although fans scream at the opposition players for doing the same as their own players do. But he in my opinion will pick up a ban. 

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I think it will always be how certain people interperate the laws. Things are never just black and white. I always enjoyed watching players who play on the edge whether watching Les boyd or more recently ben Westwood and although fans scream at the opposition players for doing the same as their own players do. But he in my opinion will pick up a ban. 

Your terrorist is my freedom fighter. 

On Les Boyd, he didn't play close to the edge he was well over it. 😄

19 hours ago, Padge said:

This is thug McIlorum were talking about here - clenched fist, swinging arm, direct contact with the head. More chance of Jeremy Corbyn being elected as head of the Jewish Council UK than there is of this being accidental !

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 15/11/2020 at 00:07, meast said:

This point is as silly as when John Wells had a weird rant about it. 

Professional fouls are yellow cards. It's really simple, it doesn't need much more to be said than that.

The foul play you describe should be red, at least yellow, but mistakes are made and refs get it wrong (what this whole thread is about). 

Because a ref may miss foul play doesn't mean that penalising technical offences is wrong.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is an absolute blinder of a thread.

The WDL are mobilised to defend a Catalans player, before the Chairman of the LDL comes in to defend an unmentioned Leigh player for an incident 3 years ago.  🤣

It definitely is a Wigan Borough thing, are they putting something in the waters of that Canal?

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It definitely is a Wigan Borough thing, are they putting something in the waters of that Canal?

Hey, I wouldn't suggest such a thing, and risk feeling the wrath of a combined effort!!! 😆

Archived