What Do French Clubs Offer SL - an objective assessment

8 minutes ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

Yet they can't bring any fans to a Sl ground, SL doesn't need another weekend away trip and if I was cats I wouldn't want it either cause people  will pick which trip they want to do cats or Toulouse.

Catalans are Super League - it is not "us" and "them"

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

2020 has shown us that the away fan myth is built on straw. Clubs need to let it go and start building up their own businesses.

The future of sport is less and less people travelling to their club's away games. The decline has been in place for a number of years.

I bet all the income the cats get from away fans isn't a myth.

1 hour ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

So it needs to be answered and don't give me that every away game is a flight away, fans don't need to go to every away game they don't go to any, I was at Wembley when they played saints there following was abysmal, yet SL teams take on average say about a 1000 fans to cats.

Oh Christ you're being serious aren't you.

7 minutes ago, Niels said:

Here we go again!

Losing the argument so resulting to the small time, M62 insults. 

I never mentioned the M62 or insulted anyone. You've made that up.

It is small time, no other sport talks about needing away fans like RL does. It is very often fans of certain clubs, who have most to lose from expansion clubs, that moan about no away fans. Strange that.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Rubbish. I was at Wembley that year surrounded by Catalans fans and was amazed how many had made the trek. It was also the 2nd highest attendance we have had at the new Wembley.

I went to experience the new Wembley , didn't care who was playing , I do know there was a quarter of our coach that had tickets for the final but didn't bother going to the match because the Dragons had beat them in the semi 😂

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

2020 has shown us that the away fan myth is built on straw. Clubs need to let it go and start building up their own businesses.

The future of sport is less and less people travelling to their club's away games. The decline has been in place for a number of years.

Explain to me which part of building up their own business means excluding making it attractive to away fans ?

18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I went to experience the new Wembley , didn't care who was playing , I do know there was a quarter of our coach that had tickets for the final but didn't bother going to the match because the Dragons had beat them in the semi 😂

That's why I went too because of the new Wembley. I know many others did too but it's unfair to say the Catalans turnout was abysmal because it wasn't. The Catalans fans also made for a tremendous atmosphere where I was sat, despite their team not performing. I had Catalans allez allez allez in my head for about a fortnight afterwards 😂.

The 'no away fans' argument is lazy. Last year we played our Catalans game on a Sunday afternoon (instead of the usual Thurs/Fri night) and marketed it as a 'community round', put in a bit of effort to make it an event and got over 11k. The only games which got a higher crowd were against Wigan, Wire and Leeds. The away followings from Huddersfield, Wakefield and Salford are so bad we rarely bother opening the away end (same applied to London when they were in SL too) so it seems a little odd to focus on that as a reason to exclude French teams.

Especially so when the incumbent French team is competitive on the field and financially stable off it.

1 minute ago, Moove said:

The 'no away fans' argument is lazy. Last year we played our Catalans game on a Sunday afternoon (instead of the usual Thurs/Fri night) and marketed it as a 'community round', put in a bit of effort to make it an event and got over 11k. The only games which got a higher crowd were against Wigan, Wire and Leeds. The away followings from Huddersfield, Wakefield and Salford are so bad we rarely bother opening the away end (same applied to London when they were in SL too) so it seems a little odd to focus on that as a reason to exclude French teams.

Especially so when the incumbent French team is competitive on the field and financially stable off it.

So why don't you market the games against Hudds,Wakey,Salford and London the same way ?

Imagine if (say) Wigan joined the French league and were the only English team in a competition of French teams. Every fortnight or so they fly to France to play their fixtures.        Read on;

Unsurprisingly Wigan can't get any interest from UK broadcasters to screen them in their French league but they nevertheless get an equal cut of  a reasonably lucrative French TV deal. Not bad considering that the French TV pay channel only broadcasts in France and doesn't have a single subscriber from Wigan.

Although.... some say that the French TV channels are attracted to having a glamorous part of the UK like Wigan featuring to add to the mundane and deprived areas of France like Perpignan and the rest of the south west France corridor.

Wigan fans can't be expected to travel every fortnight to France but 11 sets of French fans travel to Wigan fortnightly, stay in hotels and spend money in the area giving a massive boost to the local Wigan economy.

Meanwhile whilst Wigan enjoy the obvious benefits of being part of the bigger French league and the France TV deal, the game in the UK struggles by on a part time basis and the national team is still regarded as a minnow.

14 years into the experiment Wigan remain a team largely made up of French and southern hemisphere players.

The only reason Toulouse are getting a shot at SL now is obvious.

However if there is to be another French club in SL it should be in addition to the 12 we now have.

I don't agree with franchises, so if Toulouse ever got to be champions and earnt the right of promotion, then that should also be taken as an opportunity to be bold enough to expand geographically and also get the full time SL clubs up to 13.

If they get the nod at present I can see them getting an exemption from relegation for a couple of years. It won't do the French game any good just to have them go straight back down with a big bag of debts, bad publicity and a town of fans now with a grudge against British RL.

So in a years time , as there looks to be 5 or 6 clubs looking to move up to SL, then use the "no relegation" clause to bring one of the five up also.

53 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It is to everybody , club centric 

Nah, the poster was talking in terms of us (Super League) and them, regarding Catalans. Its us and them when it suits people to be that way and is almost exclusively the reductive way of looking at the world. Ironically they will be the same people crying foul when other clubs take the same approach towards them.

22 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

However if there is to be another French club in SL it should be in addition to the 12 we now have.

I don't agree with franchises, so if Toulouse ever got to be champions and earnt the right of promotion, then that should also be taken as an opportunity to be bold enough to expand geographically and also get the full time SL clubs up to 13.

If they get the nod at present I can see them getting an exemption from relegation for a couple of years. It won't do the French game any good just to have them go straight back down with a big bag of debts, bad publicity and a town of fans now with a grudge against British RL.

So in a years time , as there looks to be 5 or 6 clubs looking to move up to SL, then use the "no relegation" clause to bring one of the five up also.

We currently only have 11.....

43 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I'm for promoting based on performance on the pitch.

So based on 2019 (the last completed competition) it should be London (highest place finish, being bottom of SL), Featherstone (defeated play-off finalists) or...

...Toulouse, who were second to Toronto in the final standings after the regular season.

31 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Nah, the poster was talking in terms of us (Super League) and them, regarding Catalans. Its us and them when it suits people to be that way and is almost exclusively the reductive way of looking at the world. Ironically they will be the same people crying foul when other clubs take the same approach towards them.

Yes , I know it was ' us ' and ' them ' Internationally , but it's still the same , just at different levels , it's like all the Toronto vitriol , France is doable for expansion , Transatlantic probably isn't , but suggest that and you're anti all expansion anywhere and everywhere 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Yes , I know it was ' us ' and ' them ' Internationally , but it's still the same , just at different levels , it's like all the Toronto vitriol , France is doable for expansion , Transatlantic probably isn't , but suggest that and you're anti all expansion anywhere and everywhere 

Nah its us and them in any scenario until they're kicked out of the us and into the them. Its a very common position

Archived