NRL Bagsies SL

Oxford

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wouldn't take long for the old frustration and moans to come back with the added edge of...

They don't know our country demographics and sports culture,

and the way we like to play,

they don't understand the all powerful football/soccer here... t

hey are just interested in taking the best of our players and leaving us fan with etc etc etc

so on and so forth...

Absolute baseless, clickbait BS.

V'landys so far, has been a brilliant administrator, no doubt, but 90% of that is because after years running the Racing NSW, he has built a name for himself and has significant clout in NSW. Put him in England and he is a nobody, with zero clout, therefore rendered useless.

Also, NRL's success in Australia, will not automatically translate to success in other countries, please don't kid yourselves... Next! 

The only way V'landys could ever tell SL clubs what to do is if SL clubs allow that, in the form of a takeover. 

Now, if they do that, wouldn't that mean they are happy to allow an independent leadership team, something which most claim here won't happen? 

Governance changes are required to allow a leader to act more independently, and the clubs are in charge of that governance. 

We also need to be very careful what we wish for - maybe somebody like V'landys would revert to licensing instantly and cut off lower funding, and stop supporting international RL to focus solely on the club game. 

20 minutes ago, redjonn said:

They are just interested in taking the best of our players

If their motivation is purely self interest their money will be wasted and it won't last long.

16 minutes ago, langpark said:

Put him in England and he is a nobody, with zero clout, therefore rendered useless.

I hope you don't mind me saying this but that's rubbish because if he was prominent in racing circles he'll be well known here and the right sort certainly have more credibilty than RL as a sport.

Other than that you were spot on!

I would also expect them to do a bit of homework.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Whether it is NRL or PE probably a good time to buy SL as a number of clubs are in dire straits and it's market value must be at a low point right now.

I'd be in favour of a NRL takeover, the current owners have had 25 years and we are standing still at best.

5 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Whether it is NRL or PE

Dragon's Den or the Frying Pan? Mmmmmmm?

6 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

the current owners have had 25 years and we are standing still at best.

I don't think the same people have been in charge for all that time.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

46 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The only way V'landys could ever tell SL clubs what to do is if SL clubs allow that, in the form of a takeover. 

Now, if they do that, wouldn't that mean they are happy to allow an independent leadership team, something which most claim here won't happen? 

Governance changes are required to allow a leader to act more independently, and the clubs are in charge of that governance. 

We also need to be very careful what we wish for - maybe somebody like V'landys would revert to licensing instantly and cut off lower funding, and stop supporting international RL to focus solely on the club game. 

They appear to be taking notice of Elstone and he's taking the game backwards with just wanting a M62 Corridor game

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

With the exception of cutting off internationals (if there's money in it they'll do it) that's pretty much exactly what the NRL would do, if they could get away with it of course. 

There'd be positive and negatives to the NRL taking over the Super League, and I'm not really sure if it'd be a good thing or a bad thing, it'd just be different. 

I know historically the NRL has not been keen on the international game. But is there a chance they're looking at the the broadcasting income things like the Autumn nations cup is bringing in and thinking "I'll have a bit of that". 

Having control over SL would give them complete control of the International game to do what they want with. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Can you imagine V’landys telling the Super League chairmen what’s going to happen and how it’s going to be done? Me neither but it’s a dream we can all have. 

Even if the NRL did buy the SL V'landys wouldn't be running it, not directly anyway.

If the NRL bought the SL they'd put in a new CEO, and that would be the person that really runs the SL.

V'landys would effectively be that new CEO's boss, and he and the ARLC would set the new CEO's agenda, but for the most part he'd probably not be too involved in the day to day running of the SL. 

Just now, The Great Dane said:

Even if the NRL did buy the SL V'landys wouldn't be running it, not directly anyway.

If the NRL bought the SL they'd put in a new CEO, and that would be the person that really runs the SL.

V'landys would effectively be that new CEO's boss, and he and the ARLC would set the new CEO's agenda, but for the most part he'd probably not be too involved in the day to day running of the SL. 

That would be absolutely fine with me. 

1 hour ago, lucky 7 said:

The game has had 125 years to get it right and is failing due to short sightedness 

I don't know. Without us there would be no NRL for a start, or was that original tour another example of shortsightedness?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I know historically the NRL has not been keen on the international game. But is there a chance they're looking at the the broadcasting income things like the Autumn nations cup is bringing in and thinking "I'll have a bit of that". 

Having control over SL would give them complete control of the International game to do what they want with. 

They'd have to buy the RFL to get control over the international game, if it's even possible to buy the RFL.

If they were buying the Super League they'd just be buying the professional structure in England.

Just now, The Great Dane said:

They'd have to buy the RFL to get control over the international game, if it's even possible to buy the RFL.

If they were buying the Super League they'd just be buying the professional structure in England.

If they ran SL they would more or less have control of the international game because they would be in charge of scheduling the season. It's the scheduling that dictates what series/tournaments can occur. The RFL might retain control of the national side but they wouldn't be calling the shots. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

If they ran SL they would more or less have control of the international game because they would be in charge of scheduling the season. It's the scheduling that dictates what series/tournaments can occur. The RFL might retain control of the national side but they wouldn't be calling the shots. 

Controlling the schedule doesn't give them any control over the actual internationals themselves, and doesn't give them access to the money made by them.

12 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

With the exception of cutting off internationals (if there's money in it they'll do it) that's pretty much exactly what the NRL would do, if they could get away with it of course. 

There'd be positive and negatives to the NRL taking over the Super League, and I'm not really sure if it'd be a good thing or a bad thing, it'd just be different. 

Yes, and I'm not particularly against licensing if done well, but people need to be open eyed about what would likely happen. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, and I'm not particularly against licensing if done well, but people need to be open eyed about what would likely happen. 

That's one of the big positives for me

A licensing process run by the NRL would certainly shake things up amongst the current occupants of SL 😳

4 minutes ago, super major said:

Apart from a general response to the"rumour" I have no idea how anyone can post whether it is a good or bad thing without a hell of a lot more detail

Yep, until we know exactly what the NRL would be buying, how much they are paying, how much control they would have, etc, etc, it's almost impossible to tell if it'd be a good thing or a bad thing.

BTW, the only reason that it's a rumour is because Brent Read can't, or won't, reveal his source.

I have zero doubts whatsoever that the NRL have contacted an investment firm about the potential of buying into or buying out the SL, how serious they are about it or whether it will actually amount to anything are different questions though. 

Archived