NRL Bagsies SL

Oxford

If the general consensus amongst you all is that there are only really 6 clubs currently in SL that hit standards, what's the point in buying SL?

I mean, what would they even be buying? The SL TV contact us up next year. Why don't they just start NRL-Europe (but it an oxymoron), invite the clubs they want with a bigger share it TV money, pad out the fixtures with cross conference NRL games or an expanded WCC, etc. Surely that's where the money would be for them and that's where the gains would be for the clubs in question?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

If the general consensus amongst you all is that there are only really 6 clubs currently in SL that hit standards, what's the point in buying SL?

I mean, what would they even be buying? The SL TV contact us up next year. Why don't they just start NRL-Europe (but it an oxymoron), invite the clubs they want with a bigger share it TV money, pad out the fixtures with cross conference NRL games or an expanded WCC, etc. Surely that's where the money would be for them and that's where the gains would be for the clubs in question?

Yep that makes more sense really.

They could call it just NRL (Northern Rugby League) and rename the actual NRL as SRL (Southern Rugby League).

We’ve already got IRL for International Rugby League so that’s the whole globe neatly covered in terms of three letter acronyms. 🤣

I doubt the NRL have the cash to do what's suggested. Its one thing to 'buy' SL but to do anything other than rearrange the deckchairs (good analogy from an earlier poster) needs real money on top of that. This is at a time when NRL sides are also under the pump financially, albeit far less than SL, and nobody really knows how well the sport will recover.

The only way I could see it happening would be if the NRL partnered with private equity with very deep pockets in a deal which also included the NRL itself.

4 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Yes, that`s where V`landy`s comes in, you`ve got your 7, then he`d go you, you and you here`s $10 million dollars let`s sit down and create a club, pretty much what they did with St. George and Illawarra and you can spend over the cap for a couple of years, and so on and so forth till you got 10 clubs and then move to 12 and more over the next decade, all done of course in partnership with a PE firm, in it as a 20 year investment.

Once you got to eight strong clubs it would easier to attract investment for the next ones, investors are more likely to come on board if they see a clear well laid out strategic vision for the game being run by people who aren`t afraid to bang heads.

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

There was a suggestion that the whole of SL's stadiums are ###### , generally they aren't , just the usual nonsense , I'd be interesting to see them get control of SL , just to see them realise they aren't as clever as they think they are 

In your opinion, what is the best stadium in SL?

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, Copa said:

An interesting bit from the article in The Australian states:

The commission could then ensure the game continues to grow globally and have a say in the make-up of Super League in terms of the nation’s represented.

The bloke who wrote this article was Brent Read from The Australian, he has broken a few stories before the other media outlets and I suspect he has some pretty good contacts in League  HQ circles, seems to be it contact with The Tripp bloke from the Storm who was pushing PE a while back as well, the story just keeps on resurfacing and for me it would fit right in with V`landy`s big picture view of the world. The thing you have to remind yourself with V`landy`s is that he created that Everest horse race, from scratch, richest horse race in the world and tried to make the Vic`s shift the Caulfield Cup, I think it was, 100+ year old horse race, not only a disrupter he thinks big. He`s smart enough to know there are too many obstacles for League to go west in Oz just yet, you have to go where the game already is.

If Mal Meninga was talking about taking the Kangaroos to Europe via Totonto you can bet he wouldn`t have said that without the permission of the Commission, they are his boss after all.

2 hours ago, Copa said:

The commission could then ensure the game continues to grow globally and have a say in the make-up of Super League in terms of the nation’s represented.

A bit of hope for Super League. I’m very fearful for the game with Elstone in charge and the likes of Hull kr, Castleford and Wakefield voting on key issues simply to preserve their own Super League status for another year rather than voting to benefit the whole game and sport.

2 hours ago, Copa said:

This is an outlook we all want to see put into action but without an International calendar it would be completely hollow.

I would love to see an organisation like the NRL take a serious punt at the London - Centric media. When you've been used to Sydney journalism being mostly on your side that's a very different game plan & paddock.

As for the "nations represented" just importing teams to push others aside is exactly what needs to be avoided at all costs and that come from an avid expansionist.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

I doubt the NRL have the cash to do what's suggested. Its one thing to 'buy' SL but to do anything other than rearrange the deckchairs (good analogy from an earlier poster) needs real money on top of that. This is at a time when NRL sides are also under the pump financially, albeit far less than SL, and nobody really knows how well the sport will recover.

The only way I could see it happening would be if the NRL partnered with private equity with very deep pockets in a deal which also included the NRL itself.

The NRL actually came out of covid pretty well, probably the best of all the major Australian sports. Sure some of the clubs are struggling, but aside from the ones that were already struggling none of them have been really badly effected by covid.

In other words the NRL still have a lot of financial might to swing around, and if they wanted to they could flush the Super League with more money and resources then it's ever had.

Take just the clubs grants (central funding) for example; Super League clubs get what a few million pounds right now? The NRL clubs get au$13 mil (about £7 mil).

If the NRL wanted too it could easily, easily, afford to come in pick 8-10 clubs for a new Super League with licensing and at least double the amount they are getting in central funding each year, and that's just the clubs grants, there're plenty of other areas they could flush with resources as well.

I should stress that they could do that, and not that they necessarily would do it, and also that everything would come with strings attached.

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Yes, that`s where V`landy`s comes in, you`ve got your 7, then he`d go you, you and you here`s $10 million dollars let`s sit down and create a club, pretty much what they did with St. George and Illawarra and you can spend over the cap for a couple of years, and so on and so forth till you got 10 clubs and then move to 12 and more over the next decade, all done of course in partnership with a PE firm, in it as a 20 year investment.

Once you got to eight strong clubs it would easier to attract investment for the next ones, investors are more likely to come on board if they see a clear well laid out strategic vision for the game being run by people who aren`t afraid to bang heads.

Where would be ' create ' this club ?

36 minutes ago, Oxford said:

This is an outlook we all want to see put into action but without an International calendar it would be completely hollow.

I would love to see an organisation like the NRL take a serious punt at the London - Centric media. When you've been used to Sydney journalism being mostly on your side that's a very different game plan & paddock.

As for the "nations represented" just importing teams to push others aside is exactly what needs to be avoided at all costs and that come from an avid expansionist.

LOL, since when?

The RL media in Sydney is probably the most adversarial to the sport they are covering that I've ever seen anywhere in the world, it's really toxic.

It's almost always sensationalised gutter "journalism" made to create as much manufactured controversy as possible (which regularly ruins peoples lives and careers), and is directly responsible for general attitudes in the public of RL being the sport for stupid, violent, bogans.

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Where would be ' create ' this club ?

You are misinterpreting 'create' in this context.

He doesn't mean literally create a new club, he means 'create' a successful club, i.e. make a club that already exists into everything it could be.

And he's right, that's probably exactly what the NRL would want to do if they could get control over the Super League.

They'd go around picking the clubs they think have the most commercial potential, effectively take them over and put their people in charge of them, flush them with resources, parachute them into the Super League where necessary, hopefully build them into a strong club, and then sell them onto the highest bidder once they are a sustainable business.

That's exactly what they did with the Titans, Knights, Tigers, and to a lesser extent others like the Dragons, and it's exactly what they'd want to do in England.

4 hours ago, Pulga said:

In your opinion, what is the best stadium in SL?

My preferred option is to stand rather than sit while watching sport so essentially Saints and Warrington , Salford to a lesser degree , Leeds when it's not raining  

They are all different , the bigger stadiums ( Hull,Huddersfield,Wigan) are all OK , they just need to be nearer full to generate the atmosphere , CAS,HKR and Wakey are always interesting 

I've never visited a stadium in OZ , although I'm aware there are a few new ones built in the last decade 

Overall apart from CAS,Wakey and HKR to a degree all the SL stadiums are fine 

Obviously given the original statement about putting roofs over terraces , Lamport isn't up to NRL standards at all 

30 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

If the NRL wanted too it could easily, easily, afford to come in pick 8-10 clubs for a new Super League with licensing and at least double the amount they are getting in central funding each year, and that's just the clubs grants, there're plenty of other areas they could flush with resources as well.

Super League could do that now if it so desired with absolutely no input from the NRL.

31 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

The NRL actually came out of covid pretty well, probably the best of all the major Australian sports. Sure some of the clubs are struggling, but aside from the ones that were already struggling none of them have been really badly effected by covid.

In other words the NRL still have a lot of financial might to swing around, and if they wanted to they could flush the Super League with more money and resources then it's ever had.

Take just the clubs grants (central funding) for example; Super League clubs get what a few million pounds right now? The NRL clubs get au$13 mil (about £7 mil).

I should stress that they could do that, and not that they necessarily would do it, and also that everything would come with strings attached.

So they shove another couple of million to each club , and what would then happen to that money ?

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So they shove another couple of million to each club , and what would then happen to that money ?

It'd be invested into all sorts of things.

Acquiring assets, marketing, facilities, creating competitive teams, junior development and grassroots, sponsorship acquisition, etc, etc. Basically it'd be invested anywhere that the club is lacking.

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

' National ' Rugby League ' Europa ' ? 

You do understand what national means ? 

You're going to be livid when you find out how many countries have teams in the NRL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

You are misinterpreting 'create' in this context.

He doesn't mean literally create a new club, he means 'create' a successful club, i.e. make a club that already exists into everything it could be.

And he's right, that's probably exactly what the NRL would want to do if they could get control over the Super League.

They'd go around picking the clubs they think have the most commercial potential, effectively take them over and put their people in charge of them, flush them with resources, parachute them into the Super League where necessary, hopefully build them into a strong club, and then sell them onto the highest bidder once they are a sustainable business.

That's exactly what they did with the Titans, Knights, Tigers, and to a lesser extent other like the Dragons, and it's exactly what they'd want to do in England.

So a York , or a Newcastle ?

Archived