NRL Bagsies SL

Oxford

Just now, The Great Dane said:

If that were true they'd already be doing it. 

Yet they're not, so yeah...

Well they wouldn't. All you are doing is showing you don't understand the situation.

If the great masterplan is that they could come in and easily afford to pick 8-10 clubs for a new Super League with licensing and at least double the amount they are getting in central funding each year then that can be done now. That is a fact. It doesn't need a penny from the NRL to do so.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

It'd be invested into all sorts of things.

Acquiring assets, marketing, facilities, creating competitive teams, junior development and grassroots, sponsorship acquisition, etc, etc. Basically it'd be invested anywhere that the club is lacking.

You may but the NRL certainly won't.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Well they wouldn't. All you are doing is showing you don't understand the situation.

If the great masterplan is that they could come in and easily afford to pick 8-10 clubs for a new Super League with licensing and at least double the amount they are getting in central funding each year then that can be done now. That is a fact. It doesn't need a penny from the NRL to do so.

Then why haven't they done it?

The SL is on it's ######, most of the clubs are flat broke and one bad bit of luck from going under, the competitions best talent is slowly being sucked up by competitors because the clubs can't afford to compete with the money on offer elsewhere, and you are unironically trying to tell me that they could go a long way to fixing those problems but are actively choosing not to... Just go away with such nonsense.

6 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

It'd be invested into all sorts of things.

Acquiring assets, marketing, facilities, creating competitive teams, junior development and grassroots, sponsorship acquisition, etc, etc. Basically it'd be invested anywhere that the club is lacking.

Assets ? , Facilities ? 

Junior development and grassroots , fair enough , but no reason why all clubs at all levels aren't doing more now , and the costs required aren't massive 

Marketing and sponsorship acquisition ? , Essentially the same thing 

16 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Good. That’s exactly what we should be doing if we implement proper meaningful minimum standards and/or have strategic vision.

I make it 8 teams realistically if you have a starting Super League with decent regional/geographical spread that can then be expanded on. Investment in key markets (hence London in here).

Leeds, London, Wigan, Saints, Warrington, Hull, Catalans, Toulouse.

Invite bids time grow league from likes of Newcastle, South Wales, Toronto etc over time.

High quality championship in UK below this. 

Sorted 😉

This high quality Championship below it ? , Who would be paying for it ? 

9 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Then why haven't they done it?

The SL is on it's ######, most of the clubs are flat broke and one bad bit of luck from going under, the competitions best talent is slowly being sucked up by competitors because the clubs can't afford to compete with the money on offer elsewhere, and you are unironically trying to tell me that they could go a long way to fixing those problems but are actively choosing not to... Just go away with such nonsense.

If you think that is nonsense you again show how little you actually know.

Any reading of most threads on here should tell you why some of these things haven't happened and why fundamental change doesn't happen. What you are saying isn't even necessarily right either and no one is particularly interested in a 8 team Super League.

As for bad luck. 2020 has been a huge slice of once in a lifetime bad luck for the game here. Rash, stupid decisions shouldn't be made due to Covid, after what was promising to be a very good season with plenty to be optimistic about.

20 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Assets ? , Facilities ? 

Junior development and grassroots , fair enough , but no reason why all clubs at all levels aren't doing more now , and the costs required aren't massive 

Marketing and sponsorship acquisition ? , Essentially the same thing 

They'd invest in valuable assets to diversify the clubs income streams. You know real estate, leagues clubs, etc, etc.

Upgrade facilities that the clubs are using that are lacking, and at the same time turn them into the above mentioned assets. In other words, buy/upgrade training facilities and practice grounds, maybe build some accommodation and store fronts into them, etc.

Junior development and grassroots isn't just about the money, but the to do it properly it can actually be very expensive, and extra money never goes astray.

Finally marketing and sponsorship acquisition aren't the same thing, lol.

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

Any reading of most threads on here should tell you why some of these things haven't happened and why fundamental change doesn't happen. What you are saying isn't even necessarily right either and no one is particularly interested in a 8 team Super League.

As for bad luck. 2020 has been a huge slice of once in a lifetime bad luck for the game here. Rash, stupid decisions shouldn't be made due to Covid, after what was promising to be a very good season with plenty to be optimistic about.

Seems to me that you are intentionally misrepresenting what I said in the initial post you responded to, and that you live in a fantasy land where the Super League isn't struggling, and honestly I can't be bothered with it.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

Your out of your depth Damien,he has a far greater record on nonsense than you could possibly achieve.

1 minute ago, The Great Dane said:

They'd invest in valuable assets to diversify the clubs income streams. You know real estate, leagues clubs, etc, etc.

Upgrade facilities that the clubs are using that are lacking, and at the same time turn them into the above mentioned assets. In other words, buy/upgrade training facilities and practice grounds, build some accommodation in to them and store fronts into them, etc.

Junior development and grassroots isn't just about the money, but the to do it properly it can actually be very expensive, and extra money never goes astray.

Finally marketing and sponsorship acquisition aren't the same thing, lol.

Jesus wept. What works and what is possible in Australia doesn't work here.

There are so many reasons why this wouldn't happen its comical. League clubs? Great all RL fans would love them. The trouble is pubs and clubs are dying a death and they would struggle to even survive. Real estate in the UK? This is so flawed I cant believe you've even said it.

The NRL haven't even built a RL stadium in Sydney to provide income streams like the AFL, that is how much they invest.

You are literally talking about billions to do as you say. Money the NRL certainly hasn't got as if it had it would be doing these thing to a damn site better degree in Australia and New Zealand.

52 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

LOL, since when?

The RL media in Sydney is probably the most adversarial to the sport they are covering that I've ever seen anywhere in the world, it's really toxic.

It's almost always sensationalised gutter "journalism" made to create as much manufactured controversy as possible (which regularly ruins peoples lives and careers), and is directly responsible for general attitudes in the public of RL being the sport for stupid, violent, bogans.

You are absolutely dead right there, between ftzsmmns and webster, one positive story for every 10 negative, couple of the young journos are o.k., but they are pushing it uphill thanks to those other two. That idiot marks at nine was right up there with them, he  showed his attitude towards League during the tv negotiations. i.e. " we don`t need Rugby League." But the SMH are forced to cover it, begrudgingly, because it`s the biggest show in town.

12 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Seems to me that you are intentionally misrepresenting what I said in the initial post you responded to, and that you live in a fantasy land where the Super League isn't struggling, and honestly I can't be bothered with it.

Your post was quite clear. It was also wrong to think the game here couldn't do that as is.

Some facts for you. Broadcasting rights to Super League and the RFL last year were £33.9 million. The RFL kept £6.6 million of this. Super League received £27.3 million and SL clubs £23,134,104.

In your little fantasy 8 team Super League in which there was no relegation it is really not inconceivable that 8 teams could each get £3,750,000 as things stand if SL clubs kept a bigger share and a little less went to the RFL. As I said the money is currently in the game to do exactly what you say. We don't need the NRL or PE to do that. There is absolutely no interest or support for it though. The likelihood in a takeover by the NRL or PE is that they would invest nothing and do exactly that whilst taking money out of the UK game going forward.

1 hour ago, The Great Dane said:

If the NRL wanted too it could easily, easily, afford to come in pick 8-10 clubs for a new Super League with licensing and at least double the amount they are getting in central funding each year, and that's just the clubs grants, there're plenty of other areas they could flush with resources as well.

Even if the SLE had to run a shortened comp because only 8-10 teams (initially I might add) the NRL could beef it up with with an expanded club challenge or more Tests v. Sth Hemisphere sides to keep the value of the broadcast deal up until it stood on its own feet.

The remaining SL clubs would be stronger as well meaning they would be more competitive, instead of just having St. Helens who can mix it with the Aussie clubs.

48 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

LOL, since when?

The RL media in Sydney is probably the most adversarial to the sport they are covering that I've ever seen anywhere in the world, it's really toxic.

It's almost always sensationalised gutter "journalism" made to create as much manufactured controversy as possible (which regularly ruins peoples lives and careers), and is directly responsible for general attitudes in the public of RL being the sport for stupid, violent, bogans.

No a truly adverserial media rubs you out of the public conciousness altogether.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Jesus wept. What works and what is possible in Australia doesn't work here.

There are so many reasons why this wouldn't happen its comical. League clubs? Great all RL fans would love them. The trouble is pubs and clubs are dying a death and they would struggle to even survive. Real estate in the UK? This is so flawed I cant believe you've even said it.

The NRL haven't even built a RL stadium in Sydney to provide income streams like the AFL, that is how much they invest.

You are literally talking about billions to do as you say. Money the NRL certainly hasn't got as if it had it would be doing these thing to a damn site better degree in Australia and New Zealand.

I'm sorry but what the is your problem?

I give examples of things that the NRL and clubs have done in Australia, i.e. examples of assets they've invested in, and you are twisting that into me suggesting that is exactly what they would/should do in England, when really all I was saying is they'd do similar things.

I didn't even say anything about stadiums at all, so yeah whatever mate.

Also it wouldn't take billions of dollars to invest into some of those things at the clubs in England, and if the NRL were smart about it (which they were when they did it with the Knights, Titans, and Tigers, so I don't see why they wouldn't be with English clubs as well) they'd make their money back on the investments (or at least most of it) in the sales of the clubs.

Finally, I'm not actually for or against the NRL buying the Super League, and I am simply describing things you could expect the NRL to do if they did takeover. So maybe stop trying to paint me into a position I don't hold...

9 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

I'm sorry but what the is your problem?

I give examples of things that the NRL and clubs have done in Australia, i.e. examples of assets they've invested in, and you are twisting that into me suggesting that is exactly what they would/should do in England, when really all I was saying is they'd do similar things.

I didn't even say anything about stadiums at all, so yeah whatever mate.

Also it wouldn't take billions of dollars to invest into some of those things at the clubs in England, and if the NRL were smart about it (which they were when they did it with the Knights, Titans, and Tigers, so I don't see why they wouldn't be with English clubs as well) they'd make their money back on the investments (or at least most of it) in the sales of the clubs.

Finally, I'm not actually for or against the NRL buying the Super League, and I am simply describing things you could expect the NRL to do if they did takeover. So maybe stop trying to paint me into a position I don't hold...

You said that is what they would do. You don't half backtrack once your nonsense is pointed out.

34 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Your out of your depth Damien,he has a far greater record on nonsense than you could possibly achieve.

Quite correct Dave. I'm going to take your advice on board.

It's not each other we have have to defeat everyone it's this .....

22 minutes ago, Oxford said:

..... a truly adverserial media that rubs you out of the public conciousness altogether.

At the outset I could see the NRL streamlining things like ticket sales procedures across the SL. One phone number and one website for ticket sales etc. Then there’s revenue sharing from merchandise sales etc. (SL may already do this, I don’t know)

They’d also insist on as many games as possible being broadcast live and that those game’s KO times never clash with each other.

They’d also probably push it in Australia too as more product to sell in conjunction with contra deals from media companies.

The management changes requested will also freak out the current administration.

1 minute ago, Nate90 said:

I can't see it happening. The NRL is quite insular which is part of the reason it is so successful financially. Other than getting dibs on players the NRL would just be wasting money bailing out us 'poms'

The insular and self-centered thing is the real issue for those who recognise gift horses. However, would the good bit outweigh the bad is the real question.

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

The likelihood in a takeover by the NRL or PE is that they would invest nothing and do exactly that whilst taking money out of the UK game going forward.

Couple of things, I would have been an interesting year for SLE had there been no covid, if Toronto had of got through the year and started to win a few games and got out of the relegation zone, assuming they had started paying their bills that would have created a buzz around the comp, SBW and all of that and packed stands in Toronto. Toulouse are progressing and that would have been another cause of optimism and of course you would have had a Kangaroo Tour after 16? years.

Reality is though they would still have cut your Sky deal and that`s going to hurt.

You seem to have a very poor attitude towards PE,  from what I`ve read not all PE investments are like what you say, some certainly are, only interested in stripping assets, laying of staff and selling the bones of the business which theoretically is a leaner more efficient business.

Some see a business they think is being run poorly, undervalued, which by the way is what the NRL think SLE is, has potential, you get my drift. They go in with the attitude they can grow it, increase its value and sell it later, they are not there to take income out every year that would be counterproductive. 

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

You said that is what they would do. You don't half backtrack once your nonsense is pointed out.

Quite correct Dave. I'm going to take your advice on board.

I'm not backtracking, you are just misrepresenting me.

Why you are doing that I don't know, but I honestly can't be bothered with it.

If you want to be an ###### go ahead and be an ######.

Archived