NRL Bagsies SL

Oxford

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

So only London are allowed a club then, if Leeds is not deemed good enough.

Interesting Super League.

That's one of the reasons why it can't be done within the current structure of the game over there but only outside it via a new built-for-purpose organization.

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Not quite.  Over there you had soccer clubs up and down the country in different cities from the start of the Football League; from the beginning it was a national league with a much bigger geographic spread than the distance from Melbourne to Geelong.

Who mentioned football ? , Were talking RL , most of the NRL clubs are grouped together in Sydney , just like ours are along the M62 

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Not quite.  Over there you had soccer clubs up and down the country in different cities from the start of the Football League; from the beginning it was a national league with a much bigger geographic spread than the distance from Melbourne to Geelong.

A digression but the original 1888 Football League was basically a north and midlands set up. It added professional clubs from elsewhere over time thereby making it the dominant professional league (and, soon, the only one in England).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, GUBRATS said:

So set up new clubs in Manchester and Liverpool , to join those in London,Birmingham,York,Lancaster ?

I had no idea we had so many state capitals.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Who mentioned football ? , Were talking RL , most of the NRL clubs are grouped together in Sydney , just like ours are along the M62 

I was describing the general setup of Australian winter sports back then, not just RL.  Cricket was set up around state teams playing each other, but the number of matches they played was only marginally more than in State of Origin.

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They'll set them up , after setting up the states , they're Australians , they can do anything 😉

These Australians sound amazing. They may one day explain to me what a leagues club is.

56 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

These Australians sound amazing. They may one day explain to me what a leagues club is.

According to Wikipedia they're "A phenomenon in Australian rugby league, in which hospitality and gaming venues are operated for the benefit of a rugby league club and its community.  The football club controls the leagues club through the appointment of board members.  In the past, leagues' respective clubs have provided funds to finance the operation of the sporting club, often due to profits made from poker machines.  In the 2000s political attacks over corporate governance have led to tax changes that have lessened profitability and meant clubs needed to look at widening their revenue streams."

10 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

According to Wikipedia they're "A phenomenon in Australian rugby league, in which hospitality and gaming venues are operated for the benefit of a rugby league club and its community.  The football club controls the leagues club through the appointment of board members.  In the past, leagues' respective clubs have provided funds to finance the operation of the sporting club, often due to profits made from poker machines.  In the 2000s political attacks over corporate governance have led to tax changes that have lessened profitability and meant clubs needed to look at widening their revenue streams."

They are still significant cash cows that bring in big revenue for clubs, all the way from grassroots to pro level. 

21 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The Canberra Raiders have 5 clubs. They have restaurants, bars, cafes, function rooms, huge TVs everywhere showing sports. Most are open 9am to 4am 7 days a week.

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Do they have pokie rooms ?

Yes. All but one are in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). The ACT has had a big reduction in poker machine numbers this last decade so there seems to be a real effort to improve the other parts of the business. The ACT government has stated they want further reductions in the number of gaming machines in the Territory.

I’ve never been to their NSW club.

4 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Isn't it just like a Walkabout with gambling machines?

I’m not sure about the other nrl teams but the clubs run by the Raiders Group are nothing like that. They are set up to be social and community hubs with cafes, sports bars, general seating areas, restaurants, community activities, comedy night, live music etc. They have large rooms used for junior sports presentation days or other community groups. In my travels around England I’ve never seen anything quite like them.

Penrith has a huge leagues club with 11 restaurants, 7 bars, large theatre, indoor sky diving next door, a cable water skiing park plus other things..

3 minutes ago, Copa said:

I’m not sure about the other nrl teams but the clubs run by the Raiders Group are nothing like that. They are set up to be social and community hubs with cafes, sports bars, general seating areas, restaurants, community activities, comedy night, live music etc. They have large rooms used for junior sports presentation days or other community groups. In my travels around England I’ve never seen anything quite like them.

Penrith has a huge leagues club with 11 restaurants, 7 bars, large theatre, indoor sky diving next door, a cable water skiing park plus other things..

They sound palatial!

20 minutes ago, Copa said:

Not quite sure there's the market for something so grand over here. Sounds like a huge leisure complex, which most areas already have. In this current economic climate, it would be a huge white elephant I can imagine.

Cas should buy Xscape.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

' National ' Rugby League ' Europa ' ? 

You do understand what national means ? 

What about the English Preimer League and the Welsh clubs or the Champions League with clubs that haven't won their respected league's but still play.  NRL Europe is just fine

2 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

What about the English Preimer League and the Welsh clubs or the Champions League with clubs that haven't won their respected league's but still play.  NRL Europe is just fine

It just makes me laugh though , the Aussies who come on here seem to think the whole population of the UK actually know what the NRL is , when in truth only probably about half a million have a clue about it 

Archived