Barrow for the Championship?

Bearman

8 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

What im saying is, the Championship is a tough league, Barrow have been there before and were relegated for a reason. All teams, not just Barrow, should have to earn it by promotion rather than just be given this spot. I'd hate to see any team given the spot and then spend beyond their means and still be relegated straight away ( yes I know, you will say we wont spend beyond our means, our squad is strong enough to survive etc ) but its inevitable that teams will still need to spend and add on top of that the improved contracts players you already have will want will add up.

There will be a gap to fill in the Championship in 2021. How do you suggest that tis should be filled?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, RS said:

Warrington - Predictive type issue

In a newspaper article. Things are really going downhill.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

21 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

It isnt. Just run with one team less.

That isn't going to happen. What is your solution then?

1 minute ago, Neutralfan7 said:

I've said what my solution would be 🤣🤣

Do you mean "fight it out and earn it"?

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

Do you mean "fight it out and earn it"?

I mean, no team gets given promotion this year, championship runs with one team less and get rid of the bash as no fans will be attending. League 1 clubs earn promotion for the following year, hope you understand that 👍

Just now, Neutralfan7 said:

I mean, no team gets given promotion this year, championship runs with one team less and get rid of the bash as no fans will be attending. League 1 clubs earn promotion for the following year, hope you understand that 👍

Yes I do but all of the indications are that one club is going to be elevated, despite your personal preference. The thread is discussing Barrow's worthiness for this elevation; if it isn't them then it will be someone else.

Do you have a preference under those circumstances?

On 17/11/2020 at 18:58, Neutralfan7 said:

If a  team is given promotion then I'd say either Barrow, Newcastle or Workington should be considered 

Promote the 3 of them. We need a strong Cumbria and Newcastle may as well be there too.

They all talk like Geordies anyway !!🤣

On 15/11/2020 at 23:52, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Newcastle, as beaten Grand Finalists, should also be considered a favourite surely?

Barrow say they have a team that can go in the Championship, yet they got relegated last time out.

Newcastle have strategic significance, good facilities and good crowds. I'd certainly pick them over Barrow.

I’ve seen Newcastle’s crowds come up a few times, I don’t have exact figures to hand but I’m sure they averaged about 3/400 less than Barrow in the last full season (2019). Agree on the other points btw.

I like both Barrow and Newcastle. While attending games with both Cas and York I’ve had issues with the other 2 Cumbrian clubs (Workington and Whitehaven), all clubs have idiots though (Cas have quite a few). However never a hint of bother with Barrow fans, and that’s when standing in the middle of their home terrace along the touch line. Very welcoming, funny and vocal even when losing. I’d like to see them back in the championship.

On 15/11/2020 at 22:44, Niels said:

I think Barrow would have been great for super league when they won the grand final. 

They had a great team with a good travelling support.

They definitely deserve to be in the championship at least.

Ah that was the year they cheated and got stripped of the title. For some reason I remember that year.

To be fair Champ 1 should be a really good league this coming season and im going to go out on a limb and say I wasn't expecting Newcastle to be the ones promted via the league.

12 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Ah that was the year they cheated and got stripped of the title. For some reason I remember that year.

To be fair Champ 1 should be a really good league this coming season and im going to go out on a limb and say I wasn't expecting Newcastle to be the ones promted via the league.

Cas cheated in 2005 and were let off with a fine.

13 hours ago, yipyee said:

Isnt that what SL did though?

Unpicked Toronto after they earned their right on the pitch?

no t when they refused to play then brought in a chancer  who;s main priority was grooming and not rugby league toronto unpicked themselves

Realistically its Barrow, Newcastle, Doncaster and Workington (maybe Keighley, Rochdale and a few others will throw in a bid too for good measure and supporter confidence). With the World cup and lots of other things in mind, Newcastle stand out on paper and on field as good candidates. Barrow clearly are a strong force at that level and equally Workington and Doncaster have ambitious boards and reasonable plus marks in any prospective bid. 

Archived