Barrow for the Championship?

Bearman

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Hunslet aren’t applying as they don’t meet the criteria. 

What are the criteria? I mustn't have been paying attention.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

So that’s one more ( strong ) club out of league one? 

Hopefully to be replaced by Ottawa.

That said, bringing too many "strong teams" into League 1 was posited as a reason why clubs like Hemel, Gloucestershire and Oxford aren't in anymore.

On 17/11/2020 at 18:54, Neutralfan7 said:

I mean, no team gets given promotion this year, championship runs with one team less and get rid of the bash as no fans will be attending. League 1 clubs earn promotion for the following year, hope you understand that 👍

Aye, well, an odd number will be unpopular with everyone and I can't see it winning the vote.

Barring a Trumpesque legal challenge, obviously.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

50 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Hopefully to be replaced by Ottawa.

That said, bringing too many "strong teams" into League 1 was posited as a reason why clubs like Hemel, Gloucestershire and Oxford aren't in anymore.

Not next year though . It’s barely viable anyway as it’s been cut away bit by bit . It’s just an afterthought 

Just now, DavidM said:

Not next year though . It’s barely viable anyway as it’s been cut away bit by bit . It’s just an afterthought 

I agree its not great for next year. Though like I said hopefully it'll mean going forward that the Oxfords, Hemels, Gloucester and other clubs could come in. Even a Middlesbrough after the World cup.

6 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Ah that was the year they cheated and got stripped of the title. For some reason I remember that year.

To be fair Champ 1 should be a really good league this coming season and im going to go out on a limb and say I wasn't expecting Newcastle to be the ones promted via the league.

Close to the truth but no cigar, they were not stripped of the title that year. The following season they were relegated after the RFL took away all of their points for a number of irregularities which were blown up following an article in the RL press and an interview with a disgruntled ex-player from down under. If memory serves me right the former club Chairman sort legal action and won, yes there were things that happened for which we weren't proud but that was 10 years ago and since then the club has undergone a number of big changes and has become a stable and well respected rugby club yet again.

Obviously as a Barrovian I would love to see us back in the Championship and I believe many of the other clubs would too, especially as our supporters have been recognised for their knowledge of the game and the friendly atmosphere at Craven Park, the numbers aren't bad also which is a financial benefit to our opposition. No matter who the RFL feels should move to Championship, they need to know ASAP as further preparations will be needed.      

6 hours ago, POR said:

no t when they refused to play then brought in a chancer  who;s main priority was grooming and not rugby league toronto unpicked themselves

Nah Hull KR refused to complete the season... where the vote to boot them out.

The season was played out to fulfill the tv contract. Toronto was refused a cut of this.

Toronto was forced to get in SL by playing through the system and was then voted out by the small minded idiots, do you fall in that camp?

11 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Nah Hull KR refused to complete the season... where the vote to boot them out.

The season was played out to fulfill the tv contract. Toronto was refused a cut of this.

Toronto was forced to get in SL by playing through the system and was then voted out by the small minded idiots, do you fall in that camp?

How could he , it was the SL clubs that voted Toronto out 

Always like visiting Craven Park for the unique Barrow experience.

Loved watching Hornets at the charismatic Athletic Grounds but despite its better facilities it's not quite the same at Spotland. Last time Rochdale gathered in such an impressive new squad was back in the days of Phil McKenzie, Brian Dunn & John Woods.

Living in Cornwall these days I don't get to see the bread and butter clubs as often but I wish both Barrow & Hornets good luck with their applications. 👍

On 20/11/2020 at 14:44, Blind side johnny said:

What are the criteria? I mustn't have been paying attention.

Average attendance of > 150, must have at least a rope separating the pitch from the local park, club house must be a minimum of 16 square metres. 

If a league 1 team is moved to the championship then where does this leave the rest of the lg 1 teams? Nine home games a year quite frankly isn't even scratching the surface of what clubs need to survive and be competitive. League 1 is being cast aside to give the championship the team they need. I understand why the championship want the extra team however the would still have enough for the competition to be viable unlike league 1

How long until league 1 is either made amateur merged with the championship? Making league 1 ametuer would be an absolute disaster, clubs with so much history  E.g barrow, town, Doncaster etc would be flushed down the toilet. Surely this isn't how we want the league to go??! The most viable option surely is a merged championship to help preserve as many clubs as possible? 

Maybe this is me wanting my club to survive 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

If a league 1 team is moved to the championship then where does this leave the rest of the lg 1 teams? Nine home games a year quite frankly isn't even scratching the surface of what clubs need to survive and be competitive. League 1 is being cast aside to give the championship the team they need. I understand why the championship want the extra team however the would still have enough for the competition to be viable unlike league 1

How long until league 1 is either made amateur merged with the championship? Making league 1 ametuer would be an absolute disaster, clubs with so much history  E.g barrow, town, Doncaster etc would be flushed down the toilet. Surely this isn't how we want the league to go??! The most viable option surely is a merged championship to help preserve as many clubs as possible? 

Spike , I definitely want your club to survive , it is actually the one stadium I've never been to 

17 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Spike , I definitely want your club to survive , it is actually the one stadium I've never been to 

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you to Derwent Park in the future marra

18 hours ago, Spike said:

I suppose it depends on what the 1895 Cup looks like as well. If it goes back to the old format we saw under the National Rail Cup, they’ll get group stages and a guaranteed amount of additional home games. 

Archived