Barrow for the Championship?

Bearman

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I suppose it depends on what the 1895 Cup looks like as well. If it goes back to the old format we saw under the National Rail Cup, they’ll get group stages and a guaranteed amount of additional home games. 

I haven’t met many fans interested in that cup , they weren’t well supported . It’s basically just to pad out a skeletal season for us in league one  . Fans want league games - 9 is just disgusting , especially after all this . Even if it means playing teams 3 times , league games mean more to fans .League one is just a leftover , a remnant after everything else is sorted . It wasn’t a few years back but since that year it’s an afterthought treated with little respect 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Spike said:

If a league 1 team is moved to the championship then where does this leave the rest of the lg 1 teams? Nine home games a year quite frankly isn't even scratching the surface of what clubs need to survive and be competitive. League 1 is being cast aside to give the championship the team they need. I understand why the championship want the extra team however the would still have enough for the competition to be viable unlike league 1

How long until league 1 is either made amateur merged with the championship? Making league 1 ametuer would be an absolute disaster, clubs with so much history  E.g barrow, town, Doncaster etc would be flushed down the toilet. Surely this isn't how we want the league to go??! The most viable option surely is a merged championship to help preserve as many clubs as possible? 

Maybe this is me wanting my club to survive 

Exactly 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I haven’t met many fans interested in that cup , they weren’t well supported . It’s basically just to pad out a skeletal season for us in league one  . Fans want league games - 9 is just disgusting , especially after all this . Even if it means playing teams 3 times , league games mean more to fans .League one is just a leftover , a remnant after everything else is sorted . It wasn’t a few years back but since that year it’s an afterthought treated with little respect 

Are 1895 Cup games ever on a season ticket though? 

52 minutes ago, the mutt said:

At this juncture i would just like to say Up the raiders.thanks.Have thunder got any away fans?When they were gateshead they had 2.Fev and Barrow to go up.i .m.o

Honestly pal, I couldn’t care less. Give it to two proper clubs with ambition not one former great and one who peaked in the fifties. 

The end seems nigh for League 1. How many Clubs of the 11 can continue at Semi-Pro without a single dime of Central distribution of revenue? Whether that be in the Championship or League 1 ? 

They got about 3% of the last deal, 3% of this next deal (be lucky to get that off SL) even if they do, simply won't be anywhere near enough to spread out over 3 full seasons, the writing is on the wall. 

13 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

The end seems nigh for League 1. How many Clubs of the 11 can continue at Semi-Pro without a single dime of Central distribution of revenue? Whether that be in the Championship or League 1 ? 

They got about 3% of the last deal, 3% of this next deal (be lucky to get that off SL) even if they do, simply won't be anywhere near enough to spread out over 3 full seasons, the writing is on the wall. 

They could cover the operating costs of a semi pro set up, like home venue, away travel, insurance etc on profit from ticket office, profit from club shop and some sponsorships but they won't be able to pay 20 first team squad players part time wages (rely on dual reg & trialists for cover of injuries, family emergencies, illness etc) like as a minimum a days wage for away match days, half day pay for Home matches and 2 quarter days pw for 52 weeks to cover minimum wage for trg sessions and other club duties. So they ain't gonna be Pro, unless they have money men backing them to cover bare minimum PT player wages. So they are out of RFL and in NCL. 

10 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

They could cover the operating costs of a semi pro set up, like home venue, away travel, insurance etc on profit from ticket office, profit from club shop and some sponsorships but they won't be able to pay 20 first team squad players part time wages (rely on dual reg & trialists for cover of injuries, family emergencies, illness etc) like as a minimum a days wage for away match days, half day pay for Home matches and 2 quarter days pw for 52 weeks to cover minimum wage for trg sessions and other club duties. So they ain't gonna be Pro, unless they have money men backing them to cover bare minimum PT player wages. So they are out of RFL and in NCL. 

The NCL isn't part of a pyramid structure and has criteria that most L1 clubs won't meet so no they won't be in the NCL.

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

It is part of a pyramid structure, its the top of a pyramid. 

No it's a self contained league that has nothing to do with the semi pro game,if L1 clubs wanted to join they would have to meet the criteria for entry which most don't at present and if accepted would enter the lowest league.

Just now, Davo5 said:

No it's a self contained league that has nothing to do with the semi pro game,if L1 clubs wanted to join they would have to meet the criteria for entry which most don't at present and if accepted would enter the lowest league.

Who said it had much to do with the semi pro game? Its part of the RFL through the community board. But anyway. 

The criteria is a piece of p/ss actually, to a genuine RL Club that wants to continue its existence and can't continue in the professional game that is. Of course, when accepted they would enter the lowest 'Division'.  It sits on top of a pyramid, because one of these criteria is that you need 2 open age teams, you need to complete your fixtures at NCL level and also your fixtures at regional level.

I’ve heard recent championship experience being mentioned as a criteria. Not sure why as my definition anyone with that has failed in that division. Newcastle lost the play off last year and quite obviously have the most potential to grow the game and increase the player pool, as they are already doing. 

2 minutes ago, PhilCarrington said:

If they do get pushed up, let's hope it goes better than last time in the Championship.

The set up is so much more stable than last time, let’s face then we didn’t even know who the owners were!

Archived