Best/Worst Badges

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting with my own team, I think our current badge is actually our best, simple, recognisable, the three crowns look modern I think, it might be interesting actually trying it without the team name or founding year on it, literally just the three crowns in a simple shield. 

I also want to give a special mention to this, which I've always really liked but unfortunately seems to be the kind of thing clubs are moving away from now. 

tmp-cam-1652929371.jpg

Worst? Well I think we know where this is going. 

Oh dear... 

tmp-cam-23927009.jpg

I think it depends on the criteria, as some badges can be very nice or traditional but not very good at the same time. I think badges should be judged across a range of fields including aesthetics, clarity, digital friendliness, uniqueness etc.

I like the Rhinos badge. It does what it needs to clearly, flows into each aspect well and looks good on virtually any background colour we've had it on, blue, amber, white, black, pink, grey, aqua, green, burgundy etc. They even had a phase of changing the badge colours to suit the shirt in the early days with our White and red effort which didn't look too bad but wasn't as distinct as our main badge.

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Starting with my own team, I think our current badge is actually our best, simple, recognisable, the three crowns look modern I think, it might be interesting actually trying it without the team name or founding year on it, literally just the three crowns in a simple shield. 

I also want to give a special mention to this, which I've always really liked but unfortunately seems to be the kind of thing clubs are moving away from now. 

tmp-cam-1652929371.jpg

Worst? Well I think we know where this is going. 

Oh dear... 

tmp-cam-23927009.jpg

Ah yes, the ancient tradition of Hull emblazoned by a suspension bridge!

Surely there are other things to obsess about than badges... and suspension bridges!

1 hour ago, MZH said:

I never hated the Hull Sharks name as much as some people did, and some of the shirts were actually ok, but that badge really was awful.

This is essentially what I think about the Sharks name. Other teams were going with animal monikers, we did as well and when you think about it, as a maritime city Sharks did make a bit more sense than some. The badge was what made it so comedic and the odd shirt with a massive cartoon shark emblazoned across it. 

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

The best designed ‘badge’ to be put on a RL shirt is this absolute design classic IMO, doesn’t need any wording or anything, it’s simple and identifiable and timeless

spacer.png

That really was so far ahead of its time when you looked at the branding and logo being talked about now.

5 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

The best designed ‘badge’ to be put on a RL shirt is this absolute design classic IMO, doesn’t need any wording or anything, it’s simple and identifiable and timeless

spacer.png

Much better than the England badge. If the RFL decide to scrap GB again then I’d let England use this. It’s iconic

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

This is essentially what I think about the Sharks name. Other teams were going with animal monikers, we did as well and when you think about it, as a maritime city Sharks did make a bit more sense than some. The badge was what made it so comedic and the odd shirt with a massive cartoon shark emblazoned across it. 

I agree, it was cartoonish and over the top. I always thought Magpies was perfect for Hull, although maybe the seagulls scare the local mags. Which are Airliest?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

9 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

I agree, it was cartoonish and over the top. I always thought Magpies was perfect for Hull, although maybe the seagulls scare the local mags. Which are Airliest?

The problem with magpies is in this country it is so associated with Newcastle United, another black and white bird would be needed. Obviously Airlie Birds wouldn't work either cos no one other than a few old boy Hull fans will know what that even means, I imagine a lot of the younger fans don't know what Airlie relates to. I think something with a nautical theme would be the best way to go if we went for a new name. 

Historically, the animal most related to Hull is actually the lion. When Edward I chartered the city in the 13th century, the seal that was created was that of the King flanked by rampant lions and standing above another. So the king and the lion were really the first symbols of the city. The 3 crowns seal was created a bit later, I think in the 16th century, and has been the symbol ever since. Of course we can't be the lions cos Swinton beat us to that and we don't want another Wolves/Wolfpack situation. 

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The problem with magpies is in this country it is so associated with Newcastle United, another black and white bird would be needed. Obviously Airlie Birds wouldn't work either cos no one other than a few old boy Hull fans will know what that even means, I imagine a lot of the younger fans don't know what Airlie relates to. I think something with a nautical theme would be the best way to go if we went for a new name. 

Historically, the animal most related to Hull is actually the lion. When Edward I chartered the city in the 13th century, the seal that was created was that of the King flanked by rampant lions and standing above another. So the king and the lion were really the first symbols of the city. The 3 crowns seal was created a bit later, I think in the 16th century, and has been the symbol ever since. Of course we can't be the lions cos Swinton beat us to that and we don't want another Wolves/Wolfpack situation. 

Could be the "Royals", then again with the City's history with anti Royal movements (Parliamentarians and William of Orange's invasion) perhaps not!

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The Lion is related to many towns and cities in the UK. Perhaps Edward I did that for several cities and the Lion became a dominant animal in English heraldry.

Gulls are white with black and yellow, which would tie in with your shield?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

10 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

tmp-cam-1652929371.jpg

These crests are absolutely horrible. I don't know what you Poms obsession with them are. They all look the same. They all look like family crests. They're not logos.

new rise.jpg

Archived