Best/Worst Badges

31 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Could be the "Royals", then again with the City's history with anti Royal movements (Parliamentarians and William of Orange's invasion) perhaps not!

Yeah, might not be quite right that seen as the civil war was actually planned initially here and then we refused Charles I entry to the city so he couldn't access his armoury as the war was kicking off. 

I did some research a while back as to why Hull is always only known as that and not the full name. Essentially there are two reasons; the first was that Hull has historically been known for the port so in the past, if someone was travelling to Hull it will have almost certainly been cos they had business at the port and that is officially the Port of Hull, not the Port of Kingston-upon-Hull. Thus, they would say they were going to Hull not to Kingston. The second reason stems from the civil war and the citizens wanting to distance themselves from the Royal connection.

The port was first built by the monks of Meaux Abbey who needed somewhere to land their supplies. The city of Kingston started to grow up next to it when Edward I claimed the port, although there was of course a small settlement attached to the port, again people lived and worked at the Port of Hull not Kingston. The king saw it as a good place to land equipment for his invasions of Scotland. 

So what have we got in our history? Monks, rebels and fishermen! Sounds like the start of a joke! I love my city! 😁

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yeah, might not be quite right that seen as the civil war was actually planned initially here and then we refused Charles I entry to the city so he couldn't access his armoury as the war was kicking off. 

I did some research a while back as to why Hull is always only known as that and not the full name. Essentially there are two reasons; the first was that Hull has historically been known for the port so in the past, if someone was travelling to Hull it will have almost certainly been cos they had business at the port and that is officially the Port of Hull, not the Port of Kingston-upon-Hull. Thus, they would say they were going to Hull not to Kingston. The second reason stems from the civil war and the citizens wanting to distance themselves from the Royal connection.

The port was first built by the monks of Meaux Abbey who needed someone to land their supplies, the city of Kingston started to grow up next to it when Edward I claimed the port, although there was of course a small settlement attached to the port, again people lived and worked at the Port of Hull not Kingston. The king saw it as a good place to land equipment for his invasions of Scotland. 

So what have we got in our history? Monks, rebels and fishermen! Sounds like the start of a joke! I love my city! 😁

Hull has a very nice old town actually, plenty of history. Few of my mates from Uni are from the Beverley area so I've been over a few times in recent years.

Could be the "Liberators" for Wilberforce? Or was he an East Hullite?

Its a shame "Royals" is a bit wrong, bc I actually think it would be a quite good name! I don't think Sharks was particularly bad either as it goes, though the badge was woeful.

29 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

The Lion is related to many towns and cities in the UK. Perhaps Edward I did that for several cities and the Lion became a dominant animal in English heraldry.

Gulls are white with black and yellow, which would tie in with your shield?

Seagulls are the right colour but despite them attacking you for your chips, I don't know that that is a powerful enough name and Hull Gulls, well that just rhymes a bit too well! 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Hull has a very nice old town actually, plenty of history. Few of my mates from Uni are from the Beverley area so I've been over a few times in recent years.

Could be the "Liberators" for Wilberforce? Or was he an East Hullite?

Its a shame "Royals" is a bit wrong, bc I actually think it would be a quite good name! I don't think Sharks was particularly bad either as it goes, though the badge was woeful.

Hull's old town is lovely, some great history and architecture, one of the hidden gems of the UK I feel. Thank you for complimenting my city! 

Royals probably would be okay in the modern day, I don't know how many fans are incredibly knowledgeable about our history and I can't imagine there are many wandering round in 2020 that still have massive anti-royal feelings, as I say, that all stems from the civil war almost 400 years ago so its not really relevant these days. Something like Hull Rebels might be quite good as well. 

As I said earlier though, I think the Sharks name is fine as well and if we were to have a moniker again I wouldn't be against going back to Hull Sharks, it would be a reference to our nautical connections and add a bit of consistency to the clubs history, using a name that has been used before I mean. It wasn't the Sharks name that was the problem it was just that it was so badly executed. A decent badge and sticking with black and white hoops or vee and everything would be fine, after all you don't get blue and yellow rhinos or wolves so there's no need to change the traditional kit design. 

47 minutes ago, Pulga said:

These crests are absolutely horrible. I don't know what you Poms obsession with them are. They all look the same. They all look like family crests. They're not logos.

They are often the council crests of the place the teams are from. Fans feel strongly about them because they strongly symbolise their place of birth and people strongly identify with them. Everything on that old Hull crest references the city and the team. The lions are from the original city seal, the bridge is obviously the Humber Bridge, a real symbol of home for every Hull resident, the white rose is that of Yorkshire, the crowns are the current council crest and the black and white hoops are of course the teams colours.

Fans identify with these symbols and feel more loyal to these symbols than they would to a cartoon animal that has no meaning or connection with the city they love.

No it is not a logo, it is not trying to be a logo, it is a crest or a badge that represents for a loyal fanbase and a club that exists for pleasure, not a corporate logo that represents a faceless, heartless business that is just in it to make money. 

I know so many people, myself included, who's lives basically revolve around supporting their team. Sorry fans here feel more connected to their clubs and ultimately have more love for them. Jesus, if you were to immerse yourself in the world of English football fans their obsession and love for their teams would give you a heart attack. 

33 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Seagulls are the right colour but despite them attacking you for your chips, I don't know that that is a powerful enough name and Hull Gulls, well that just rhymes a bit too well! 

Perhaps the gulls in hull are featherweights. I've seen gulls that look evil.😲

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

6 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Perhaps the gulls in hull are featherweights. I've seen gulls that look evil.😲

They might look evil but when they go home they get back to their knitting and sit down in front of bake off. 

I don't think you see many gulls in Hull actually, maybe I just don't notice them, never really thought about it, sodding loads of pigeons though. Hull Pigeons or Hull Flying Rats wouldn't work though!

51 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

They are often the council crests of the place the teams are from. Fans feel strongly about them because they strongly symbolise their place of birth and people strongly identify with them. Everything on that old Hull crest references the city and the team. The lions are from the original city seal, the bridge is obviously the Humber Bridge, a real symbol of home for every Hull resident, the white rose is that of Yorkshire, the crowns are the current council crest and the black and white hoops are of course the teams colours.

Fans identify with these symbols and feel more loyal to these symbols than they would to a cartoon animal that has no meaning or connection with the city they love.

No it is not a logo, it is not trying to be a logo, it is a crest or a badge that represents for a loyal fanbase and a club that exists for pleasure, not a corporate logo that represents a faceless, heartless business that is just in it to make money. 

I know so many people, myself included, who's lives basically revolve around supporting their team. Sorry fans here feel more connected to their clubs and ultimately have more love for them. Jesus, if you were to immerse yourself in the world of English football fans their obsession and love for their teams would give you a heart attack. 

Being involved in my local club (what we call bush footy), it's amazing the similarities between us and the "professional" game in England. It really boggles my mind. There's a reason my team isn't in the NRL. It's the same reason why Super League is on death's door.

new rise.jpg

23 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

In the previous Sky SL intro, were we represented by warships or trawlers or something?

Anything in that for a logo?...

The Warship was for Wakefield "the Dreadnoughts" Trinity. Hull and Hull KR had a brief burst of robins and airlie birds 

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

They might look evil but when they go home they get back to their knitting and sit down in front of bake off. 

I don't think you see many gulls in Hull actually, maybe I just don't notice them, never really thought about it, sodding loads of pigeons though. Hull Pigeons or Hull Flying Rats wouldn't work though!

I actually quite like the Hull Flying Rats... in another country thats the sort of thing that would make me support them!

9 hours ago, Pulga said:

i6gA4JYe.jpg

Good

FOlNvA8M.jpg

Really bad

Cas isn't really bad though. It stands out on the 3 main background colours (black, white, orange) and like Leeds Rhinos leaves whoever sees it in no doubt who the team is or what the primary colours are. Its just an older version of what Wigan have come up with essentially. Compared to other "tigers", its not significantly worse than Wests and is much more Tiger like (because it fits with the club identities more) than Leicester. Could it use an update? Yes. Is that the most pressing problem for Castleford? No.

Toronto's is nice. Especially getting the T to form the Wolf's eyes and nose.

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The Warship was for Wakefield "the Dreadnoughts" Trinity. Hull and Hull KR had a brief burst of robins and airlie birds 

Oh. Well I didn't see the Airlie Birds, I thought they were all Robins. Good to see we were represented in the smallest possible way 🙈

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

4 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

always preferred this one over the current logo... never understood why they changed it.

spacer.png

The rumour at the time was they forgot to copyright it!  

with Cas the logo isn’t atrocious but if you look at Richmond in the AFL and Amur in the KHL then tigers logos can be done so much better. 

5 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

here is some bad one'sspacer.png

I actually quite like our current iteration with the red outline - I detested it when it had the blue outline though.

Preferred the original Broncos logo put on here previously above them all though !

Archived