Rugby reloaded Podcast - Mark Evans

Interesting podcast with Mark Evans, former Melbourne Storm CEO and Harlequins rugby union CEO, among others. Someone who has a pretty good experience of administration in League and union at club level. Worth a listen.

In two parts.

Pt.1 

Pt.2 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I don’t agree on everything Evans says but he has a certain ‘big picture’ common sense that I like.

About 22 mins into Part 2 he sets out a plan for RL, including rebuilding in places like Oldham, Rochdale, Halifax, Huddersfield and Bradford where the game has historical but neglected roots. Sees Bradford as vitally important to the strength of the game. 

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I don’t agree on everything Evans says but he has a certain ‘big picture’ common sense that I like.

About 22 mins into Part 2 he sets out a plan for RL, including rebuilding in places like Oldham, Rochdale, Halifax, Huddersfield and Bradford where the game has historical but neglected roots. Sees Bradford as vitally important to the strength of the game. 

I completely agree with that. The game cannot be allowed to continue to decline in places like this. Its sad to see what has happened to the game in places like Oldham and Rochdale.

21 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I think on that he and Elstone agree very much.

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

I completely agree with that. The game cannot be allowed to continue to decline in places like this. Its sad to see what has happened to the game in places like Oldham and Rochdale.

I thought Rochdale were on the way up when Mazey took over, he talked a really good game about helping the local Amateur scene etc. Hopefully he’ll be able to once Covid is done. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I thought Rochdale were on the way up when Mazey took over, he talked a really good game about helping the local Amateur scene etc. Hopefully he’ll be able to once Covid is done. 

No idea, that's good if so. I just remember playing against very good teams from Rochdale in Spotland Rangers and Oldham in Royton Tigers, Salem Hornets etc and I dont think any of these exist any more.

25 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It would be very rugby league to admit Bradford for short term gain!

It would, but as Evans suggests (and I think Elstone agrees) a strong Super League is stronger with a Bradford club. It is a bit late 90s early 2000s rose tinted glasses, but it is the core of a valid point too. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

No idea, that's good if so. I just remember playing against very good teams from Rochdale in Spotland Rangers and Oldham in Royton Tigers, Salem Hornets etc and I dont think any of these exist any more.

Oldham is a real stinger for me. Should be a club the size of Wakefield or Cas potentially given the history - indeed there's a reason they were in the early Super League and the other two were not. Losing the ground through various machinations is a tragedy (no matter how cold it was at the Watersheddings) and the club has been in decline ever since. Salford have never really stepped up to fill that gap at a Super League level and Huddersfield are too far away really. League in the area is aimless. If only Derek Beaumont was a Roughyed!

Its a real shame some councils do not see the value in investing/part investing in sports facilities. Oldham must be one of the only places to have seen its 2 teams fall from the top of their respective sports to not far off the bottom. 

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Oldham is a real stinger for me. Should be a club the size of Wakefield or Cas potentially given the history - indeed there's a reason they were in the early Super League and the other two were not. Losing the ground through various machinations is a tragedy (no matter how cold it was at the Watersheddings) and the club has been in decline ever since. Salford have never really stepped up to fill that gap at a Super League level and Huddersfield are too far away really. League in the area is aimless. If only Derek Beaumont was a Roughyed!

Its a real shame some councils do not see the value in investing/part investing in sports facilities. Oldham must be one of the only places to have seen its 2 teams fall from the top of their respective sports to not far off the bottom. 

Yes, totally agree. There is a very fine line between what has happened to Oldham and teams like Widnes, Salford or Leigh whose councils provided new grounds for those clubs to play in. Swap Oldham getting a ground and Widnes not for example and where would those clubs be now. Oldham traditionally had much stronger RL amateur roots than the majority of clubs in SL.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Yes, totally agree. There is a very fine line between what has happened to Oldham and teams like Widnes, Salford or Leigh whose councils provided new grounds for those clubs to play in. Swap Oldham getting a ground and Widnes for example and where would those clubs be now. Oldham traditionally had much stronger RL amateur roots than the majority of clubs in SL.

Absolutely, indeed had they stayed at the Watersheddings its not beyond the realms of possibility that they could be where Cas and Wakefield are now. 

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely, indeed had they stayed at the Watersheddings its not beyond the realms of possibility that they could be where Cas and Wakefield are now. 

When you look at something like this from a packed Watersheddings its sad what has happened:

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah I noticed that too.

Makes Oldham’s decline seem even more sad to see that try against the Kangaroos. 

I think Evans is onto something with his ‘Pennine borders plan’ but whether the RFL has the time & money to invest in grassroots is another matter.

Mark Evans is a bit of a blowhard. Yes, it would be good to shore up support in these traditional RL towns, basing it solely off their population numbers. However the sport has, for the most part, failed to resonate with the changing demographic of these locations. I don't see any major initiatives being led by Mr. Elstone (and his SL pay masters) that are going to change this situation.

Archived