SOO 3 will be the world largest sporting event since covid-19 began

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So lucky we’ve had no community transmission of COVID  in Qld for ages... but don’t think NSW were too impressed our premier introduced new easing of restrictions to allow 100 per cent capacity at outdoor stadiums the day before the game. Well played premier 🤣

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

More than the countless millions every other week in F1?

Typical Aussie hype.  SOO is overrated,  not least by Englishmen.

Everything that tbe commentators say was "That's Origin!".  Drunks run on pitch, player makes a good tackle, someone falls over, some one scores a try... "thats Origin".

Players from both sides made loads of mistakes... that was Origin.

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

More than the countless millions every other week in F1?

Typical Aussie hype.  SOO is overrated,  not least by Englishmen.

Everything that tbe commentators say was "That's Origin!".  Drunks run on pitch, player makes a good tackle, someone falls over, some one scores a try... "thats Origin".

Players from both sides made loads of mistakes... that was Origin.

It was a tremendously entertaining game watched by the largest sporting attendance since the pandemic caused sports to shutdown.

But, you're right, we should definitely have insisted on ensuring the game featured no imperfections before telling anyone about it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I agree with a few comments, the headline says it is the biggest sporting event since Covid (incorrect) and then the body says the largest sporting crowd (correct).

It was nowhere near the largest sporting event since Covid. The Masters last week for example will have dwarfed it in viewing figures and international awareness. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Hullfan said:

Worst origin game ever, that was poor

Best game of the series and so there have been at least 2 worse.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It was a tremendously entertaining game watched by the largest sporting attendance since the pandemic caused sports to shutdown.

But, you're right, we should definitely have insisted on ensuring the game featured no imperfections before telling anyone about it.

I have no more interest in being taken in by Aussie commentators hype than I am by  SKY ones.

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I have no more interest in being taken in by Aussie commentators hype than I am by  SKY ones.

Yes, I hate it when I see and hear rugby league being praised too

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I agree with a few comments, the headline says it is the biggest sporting event since Covid (incorrect) and then the body says the largest sporting crowd (correct).

It was nowhere near the largest sporting event since Covid. The Masters last week for example will have dwarfed it in viewing figures and international awareness. 

Crowd wise how many paying customers at the golf?

Just now, The Future is League said:

Not as many as State or Oriigin 3. As I said.

45 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Actually, in retrospect, it was nitpicking and daft of me to try and find a negative in this good news story for Rugby League. 

Well done Aussie for being able to run such an event this year.

From the Daily Mail:

Australia is the envy of the world after hosting the biggest crowd at a sporting event since the coronavirus pandemic began.

Thousands around the globe who tuned into the State of Origin decider were stunned to see over 52,000 eager fans packed in Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium with no social distancing and very few face masks.

International viewers watching in countries with hundreds of thousands of active infections marvelled at the spectacle as almost all major sports worldwide are now played behind closed doors or with very limited, spaced out crowds.

But Australia has fought the pandemic so successfully that it has relaxed restrictions so much that big sporting crowds are possible.

Many overseas onlookers praised Australia and the Sunshine State for the pandemic policies which made the event possible.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8962231/Americans-Europeans-cooped-lockdown-marvel-State-Origin-crowd.html

Gee you poms are a pessimistic bunch, always gotta find a negative in something good. Anyways regarding the earlier comment about Aus vs GB should be the pinnacle, maybe we’ll start holding it in high regard when England/GB can put up a challenge? Let’s face it, Rugby League sucks in the northern hemisphere at the moment and has for a few decades, except for the odd star player here and there. This years Super league has probably been the worst yet and SL is going backwards at an alarming rate. Origin is the pinnacle because it’s the hardest and toughest RL on the planet, international RL is starting to get good with the rise of the pacific nations and in particular Tonga, and I always enjoy watching the roos and kiwis go at it, at least they are made up of NRL quality players and give us a decent fight. England are rubbish at the moment, they need to have more of their top players playing NRL and week to week footy in the top comp in the world if they want to challenge the Southern Hemisphere countries. 

5 minutes ago, Aussie Bronco said:

Gee you poms are a pessimistic bunch, always gotta find a negative in something good. Anyways regarding the earlier comment about Aus vs GB should be the pinnacle, maybe we’ll start holding it in high regard when England/GB can put up a challenge? Let’s face it, Rugby League sucks in the northern hemisphere at the moment and has for a few decades, except for the odd star player here and there. This years Super league has probably been the worst yet and SL is going backwards at an alarming rate. Origin is the pinnacle because it’s the hardest and toughest RL on the planet, international RL is starting to get good with the rise of the pacific nations and in particular Tonga, and I always enjoy watching the roos and kiwis go at it, at least they are made up of NRL quality players and give us a decent fight. England are rubbish at the moment, they need to have more of their top players playing NRL and week to week footy in the top comp in the world if they want to challenge the Southern Hemisphere countries. 

Pin this one on the wall folks

Archived