Toulouse chairman Calls for more French teams in the Championship

Davo5

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Oxford said:

A smaller league season and more events is the goal and it seems to be a step too far for chairmen who seem to see the number of home games as the be all and end all of income.

The more events we have the more they can be spread around and the income too of course.

I assume the more SL games they offer Sky, the more money they get. Offering some international games for less SL matches isn't as good a commercial proposition. Short term gain will always win over a longer term benefit if the SL clubs are involved in decision making.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

The French RL national side has benefitted from having teams play in the UK and players coming over to ply their trade. I think some compare test results now with the 1950's but in the 90's they were a poor team, struggling to win a test.

Recently, they have put up some respectable results. In the last season of internationals in 2018 they defeated Wales 54-18, Ireland 24-10 and Scotland 28-10 in consecutive matches. I believe French player's involvement in the English game has helped. The more exposure young French players get to a higher standard of RL, the more they will develop into better players. It also offers a pathway to making RL a career. The quality of youths playing the game in France is there. It's keeping them in the game and helping realise their full potential that closer ties with England will provide. 

2 hours ago, RayCee said:

I assume the more SL games they offer Sky, the more money they get. Offering some international games for less SL matches isn't as good a commercial proposition. Short term gain will always win over a longer term benefit if the SL clubs are involved in decision making.

I thought Sky could show as many games as they like but choose not to. I'm not sure the length of the season has anything to do with that.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

9 hours ago, Oxford said:

I thought Sky could show as many games as they like but choose not to. I'm not sure the length of the season has anything to do with that.

I'd be interested to know what Sky expects from SL in terms of the number of rounds played. They clearly have certain expectations and as they are paying out a reasonable amount will have influence. 

On 20/11/2020 at 02:57, goldcoaster said:

I should hope not. English RL should take the opportunity from this reset and look to enforce a strict 5 player overseas quota. It will be the first time the RFL will legally be able to do it and will see more and more English players given a go.

I would go to a maximum of 4 and if an overseas coach is employed he too becomes part of the count, and obviously if French teams are playing in the English system the same rules should apply, 

And no protection from relegation.

16 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its not particularly, just the Pacific nations and England (by virtue of the NRL players) have pulled away.

England by virtue of NRL player's! 

Are you including those who played for GB last Autumn and Chris Heighington before them? Do you think that excluding any of those (eligible)  from Mr Wane's next England squad will weaken it.

And how will the French National team improve if the recruitment policy of both Catalan and Toulouse is non French Nationals, There are not many French lads on the Toulouse roster and just watch the French contingent at Catalan drop when those French guy's who have been fixtures in the Catalan team for a number of years reach the end of their shelf life, as it is at the moment a French national team selected from Toulouse and Catalan that is if they can summon up 17 player's would struggle to be competitive in SL never mind the National arena.

15 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Villeneuve Leopards were so far ahead of ALL the FRL clubs back in the late 90.s/early 2000,s it used to be fantastic when they came to play other clubs.

So sad after Guy Troupel and Pierre Sourbiran stood down that it all felt apart good to see them coming back.

I think it is still a little too small but a lovely place with a great RL heritage.

PS/Also not a good sign when then close the local railway station and branch line 

Still average of 6500 in SL at Leigh in '17 with the same impediment.

14 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If it was 10 UK based teams and 4 French teams that would lead to a significant broadcast deal in France and a much bigger pie to share around overall. This should be the long term aim starting by Toulouse moving up to Super League and a new French side entering the Championship.

How do you know, how can you be so sure? simple answer is you can't be sure M'lud, so what happens if this massive TV contract doesn't come off, and suppose on the back of 4 French clubs being involved - presumably with no relegation - SKY may offer a smaller package because it is going to be topped up by French broadcasters what happens then?

At the beginning the catalans French players where thrown in and told to swim and lots managed it as the club had no choice but to play French players, without this ferriol, casty, duport, raguin, bosc, mounis etc would have never got a game if the club was how it is now, they would never have become the players they were if they just had just a bench spot 4 or 5 times a year, but then again they were protected from relegation. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't go killing the myth of many on here Hvy wg.

Its dead for the general public but for the passionate fans it's great! The level of play is good saying how many players there are in all of France, it's like saying the championship is dead in the UK as there's no fans or money, but the product in the championship is still good quality and enjoyable to watch 

Archived