Impressive RLWC21 Figures

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this just confirms that this is a parochial game for select small northern towns and there is nothing that can be done to change that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think this just confirms that this is a parochial game for select small northern towns and there is nothing that can be done to change that.

Think this is that proof that is needed to show that the game has no chance in growing outside the North

16 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

Another example of the potential this great game could have given direction , leadership and less self interest.

and an international game that plays more than once at home every 2 years!

As a sport, we are not shy in criticising our leadership... and I have to say, very often that criticism is warranted. 

But as I have said many times over the last 12 months, this World Cup has not put a foot wrong in its organisation, media and social media work. They are doing everything right.

I am convinced that this time next year we will see the best and most successful tournament our sport has ever seen.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Wow! Those are some seriously impressive figures, and positive proof  (just at the time when we are obsessing over which small Northern town to 'allow' to come into SL) that the International game could really drive something special with our game.

45 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Agreed, and it’s for old codgers too, young people just want to play FIFA and go on Tik Tok or whatever it’s called. 

49 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

spacer.png

This doesn’t actually say how many tickets have been ordered does it? It could actually mean that 5,000 tickets have been booked by Londoners for the Arsenal semi final and only 4,000 tickets have been booked for all the rest of the games. Obviously it doesn’t mean that but those stats offer little context for what’s actually happened. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agreed, and it’s for old codgers too, young people just want to play FIFA and go on Tik Tok or whatever it’s called. 

dont play the "i dont know what its called" card.. i bet your on it all the time!

bloody youngsters :kolobok_ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

This doesn’t actually say how many tickets have been ordered does it? It could actually mean that 5,000 tickets have been booked by Londoners for the Arsenal semi final and only 4,000 tickets have been booked for all the rest of the games. Obviously it doesn’t mean that but those stats offer little context for what’s actually happened. 

Its a PR piece and all about creating a positive image and perception of the tournament, which it does very well.

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

Whilst I sound like a broken record...our highest international crowds are in London consistently. Why do we play so few international matches there?

To be fair, only once in the last decade have we failed to hold a test in London when we've had one of the big 2 over here (or hosted a World Cup).

That was in 2018 when NZ toured and we stayed up north. I seem to remember that series was cobbled together quite late on - bad in itself but might be why we chose the grounds we did.

But other than that, on all four occasions we've hosted an Aus or NZ tour, or WC, since 2010 we've played in London - plus we would have had Spurs Ashes test this year and will have Arsenal WC semi next year. 

I think the bigger issue is that we simply don't have enough big games to hold in London, partly because when we go down under we don't play at home.

Yes, one might ask, why don't we play other teams on London? Well, until now I think that's been the right call, no other team would have had the pull of Aus or NZ for a variety of reasons to justify the expense of a London stadium to create the 'big event' appeal. Playing France at Millwall would not draw a big crowd. That said, I am interested if London could work if we invite Tonga over in 2022/3, if they make a splash in the WC and capture the imagination.       

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

Whilst I sound like a broken record...our highest international crowds are in London consistently. Why do we play so few international matches there?

Absolutely. Leeds and London consistently do well for internationals and should be the standard international locations on the calendar

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I noticed this too that they went for percentages and demographic groupings rather than hard sales numbers.

It might be significant it might not.

I think though the picture they paint is one to be positive about.

It would be good if they said how many tickets have been sold (or applied for in the case of ballots needed) so far. I’d have expected the final to oversubscribed for example but am thinking now that it won’t be, unless 40,000 Londoner millennials who’ve never been to a RL game before have bought tickets. 

Which is why we need more international games, an England game has much more chance of attracting attention and interest, especially if marketed correctly, than a club game ever could.

Archived