Once Were Lions

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to watch my Rugby League documentaries 'as live' and so I have managed to avoid the results of this tour for the last 12 months.

I trust I won't be disappointed with Wayne and the boys.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

24 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I like to watch my Rugby League documentaries 'as live' and so I have managed to avoid the results of this tour for the last 12 months.

I trust I won't be disappointed with Wayne and the boys.

you'll love some of the "out of the box" thinking... very modern.

13 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Let's just agree never to talk of that tour again  🤐

Nope. Next time someone wants to resurrect this team, based purely on nostalgia and (an admittedly lovely) badge, I'm going to loudly remind everyone of what an absolute disaster this tour was.

Speaking of which, have the financials been announced yet? 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

18 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Thank you for the heads up regards this being shown.

Will certainly be a more intriguing watch than 4 days of wayward pitch & putt, a show off in by far the fastest car blubbing how fab he is and those laughable millionaire show ponies flopping on the floor because someone with a fancy haircut had the audacity to attempt tackling them.

Bring it on 👍🏉

5 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Nope. Next time someone wants to resurrect this team, based purely on nostalgia and (an admittedly lovely) badge, I'm going to loudly remind everyone of what an absolute disaster this tour was.

Speaking of which, have the financials been announced yet? 

Can we just please let England use the badge and shirt and this whole sorry debacle can be put to one side and we get to please everybody... 

On 19/11/2020 at 07:18, Celt said:

Before you watch, you have to remember that PNG are picking guys from the likes of Carcassonne, Doncaster, Townsville Blackhawks, Mackay cutters and Barrow.

Bennett is good, and may have just won State of Origin, but up against that kind of quality, it will ALWAYS be tough. 

You have to question why more PNG players don’t make it into the NRL and Super League when they can compete and win on the International stage.

On 19/11/2020 at 19:10, Ramon Rojo said:

Thank you for the heads up regards this being shown.

Will certainly be a more intriguing watch than 4 days of wayward pitch & putt, a show off in by far the fastest car blubbing how fab he is and those laughable millionaire show ponies flopping on the floor because someone with a fancy haircut had the audacity to attempt tackling them.

Bring it on 👍🏉

You mean you haven`t seen the results either.!!

The presentation was nice and glossy, but my overall feeling was of a tour that was hollow from the outset. There was simply no reason to be playing again as GB, and neither were we playing for anything in particular. That, however, is not the fault of the documentary makers, who I thought did a perfectly decent job.

13 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

Why should England have an automatic right to the badge?

Thought that was obvious.. England are the lions and Wales and Scotland won't want it. GB is pretty much England.. if its all about keeping the "iconic history" of the badge and shirt then thats how you would do it.

38 minutes ago, RP London said:

Thought that was obvious.. England are the lions and Wales and Scotland won't want it. GB is pretty much England.. if its all about keeping the "iconic history" of the badge and shirt then thats how you would do it.

I'm Welsh and certainly value the Lions and wouldn't want to lose it, or have it simply given over to England. England maybe the lions in terms of squad now, but in the past a decent amount of Welshmen have worn the jersey and formed the identity and memories for many fans. 

A single, poorly organised tour shouldn't distract from decades of rich history. Bring back the GB lions in future, when it can be properly organised. Also, people seem to have a hang up that we lost the games and that's a reason to scrap the lions - I didn't realise the only purpose of the GB lions existence was to win exclusively 

4 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

I'm Welsh and certainly value the Lions and wouldn't want to lose it, or have it simply given over to England. England maybe the lions in terms of squad now, but in the past a decent amount of Welshmen have worn the jersey and formed the identity and memories for many fans. 

A single, poorly organised tour shouldn't distract from decades of rich history. Bring back the GB lions in future, when it can be properly organised. Also, people seem to have a hang up that we lost the games and that's a reason to scrap the lions - I didn't realise the only purpose of the GB lions existence was to win exclusively 

Did you read the threads on here before the tour... its not just because we lost

The feeling for not bringing them back and it being pointless has been strong for many for a long time. 

I enjoyed John Bentley's contribution, for example one quote from him;

" When I came to RL I was fit.

But I had to lift it again. I suddenly realised these were athletes.

They were far, far, far more athletic and fitter than the RU boys."

Nothing new there and the gap is narrower now. But I think it is a very important point to make, as it is part of what differentiates us from other team sports and good to see in a BBC documentary.

Other sportsmen/women respect RL players  for this and we need to promote it more. 

1 hour ago, Yosser said:

I enjoyed John Bentley's contribution

'I found a grey pube the other day'.... 😎

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived